The Two Of Wands

namesoftrees

Ok, I know it's come up a couple of times, but I'm stuck on this crazy guy whenever I get this card. He's the only outward looking one of all the two's. Or is he? any pentacles and cups don't seem to be so much about making a choice..

We've heard about Alexander's malady from Waite but what was it please someone?
My guess is it ties in with melancholy, and not knowing how to act in a way that can meet one's ideals..

idealism..

I'm a very two kind of person, maybe it's a bit close to home for me.
But what does this card actually mean?

namesoftrees

Thirteen's words usually so concise still leave me wanting...

The twos are related to the High Priestess. As such they indicate
duality but, more importantly, they indicate instinctual knowledge. Aces
are undirected energy; the twos are, in a sense, the knowledge of what
the direction for that energy should take. Thus:

Two of Wands

Usually a person choosing one wand over another. Wands are passion,
and passion is not something that works when split. It requires a single
focus. This card indicates a choice to be made, but the instincts are
right, and the choice made, where to put your energy and passion, will
be a right one.

ana luisa

I don´t know why but the Two of Wands always looked like it meant stability and power after the initial surge of energy of the Ace of Wands. I always paid attention to the fact that the man is holding , or can hold, the two wands at the same time so he is firm, grounded and has the power to choose, to follow the path he wants. It can also mean originality, following a different venue...

namesoftrees

here's what Waite says

divinatory meanings:
Between the alternative readings there is no marriage possible, on the one hand, riches, fortune, magnificance. And on the other, physical suffering, disease, chagrin, sadness, mortification. The design gives one suggestion - here is a lord overlooking his dominion and alternately contemplating a globe. It looks like the malady, the mortification, the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth.

Reversed:
surprise, wonder, enchantment, emotion, trouble fear.

ana luisa, I guess I'm wondering ..is one wand his power as he knows it, and the other wand his power as it might be in exploration (or conquering of) the world?

If it's so imperative that he gets it right, then I can't imagine it should be as easy as some decree.

ana luisa

I agree. It is NOT easy to have this sort of power. And choosing is no picnic either. If you have time, it would be nice to have a look at the Two of Wnads in the Tarot of the New Vision at http://trionfi.com/0/i/c/ALL-78/. It shows the man holding the world in his hands and looking out. Behind him, there´s a jester, depressed. It suggests that this man doesn´t want fun at this moment. Also, the birds are flying in the opposite direction so he´s probably envisioning taking a different route, not easy, not conventional and not fun but possible nevertheless.

namesoftrees

hmmmm

that's an interesting site. Good for comparing different variations of a card. and yes I see what you mean. It's a serious matter indeed.

If a querent was looking to the cards with a tricky decision on their mind, (a plausible scenario..)

and I pulled a 2 of wands for them, I think I'd be inclined to say "ah you have a very tricky decision on your mind", and then I'd try to look at the card in context, but on the whole I wouldn't be able to go much further.

How do other people read this card?

Edited to add:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57457&highlight=wands+alexander

namesoftrees

I know I'm kind of thinking out loud a lot on this post but look!

Here is a short version of the situation Waite is referring to from this website:
http://www.interesting.com/stories/alexander/

"In the same year as Hephaestion's death, 324 B.C., Alexander's generals convinced him to withdraw from the action at the eastern frontier in order to consolidate his power back in Babylon, the capital of the empire.

This is not what Alexander wanted. He was supposed to be a hero. He had no interest in sitting on a throne administering to the business of an empire. He wanted to be on his horse, sword in hand, conquering new lands.

Alexander reluctantly spent the next year in Babylon, without Bucephalas, without Hephaestion, and without the action and glory of battle.

Perhaps the inertia ate away at his soul. Plutarch writes that Alexander "lost his spirits, and grew diffident of the protection and assistance of the gods, and suspicious of his friends."

Alexander drank heavily, and in a weakened state he caught a fever. After twelve days of suffering he died in Babylon at the age of 33."

YDM42

I read the card as "there is no marriage here". - a battle of wills tempted by attraction or desires that dont match...and it relates back to the HP because some where in our concsious we are aware of the contradictions and are mulling it over based on our will to have it succeed.

namesoftrees said:
that's an interesting site. Good for comparing different variations of a card. and yes I see what you mean. It's a serious matter indeed.

If a querent was looking to the cards with a tricky decision on their mind, (a plausible scenario..)

and I pulled a 2 of wands for them, I think I'd be inclined to say "ah you have a very tricky decision on your mind", and then I'd try to look at the card in context, but on the whole I wouldn't be able to go much further.

Edited to add:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57457&highlight=wands+alexander

job

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

He's holding a globe and looking at his World. One thing that comes to mind is the saying "The map is not the territory".

The man in the card is missing something.

crazy raven

namesoftrees said:

Well, first I'd ask them to look at what they want compared to what others want them to do. We don't always have to follow others values and traditions. But sometimes we do have to wait until we have a clear picture in our minds. The ball is definitely in his court! He needs to trust in what he decides and without hesitation....play ball.