Quoth the Raven: Significance of the Raven in the Mystic Dreamer Tarot

afrosaxon

Ravens (and birds in general) are a major part of this deck. They appear in every card, usually as a flock in the distant sky. Sometimes one appears and is very obvious, like in the Ace of Wands.

What is the significance of this bird in this deck?

Ravens are associated with bringing messages in Native American culture. I have also heard of the raven being associated with the god Chronos. The raven is also considered a keeper of secrets, and a guide to our inner selves (I can see this association with the Hermit, who is also associated with Chronos)--bringing the truth to light. In Celtic lore, the raven is associated with the Morrigan, the dark goddess of battle. The raven is also associated with death deities. Ravens are also associated with knowledge, protection, healing.

And of course, I keep hearing "Quoth the raven...nevermore" from Edgar Allan Poe's poem "The Raven". :cool: In this poem, the raven is indeed a messenger.

Thoughts?

T.

Alan Ross

I found some interesting information on the symbolism and mythology of ravens here:

http://paganismwicca.suite101.com/article.cfm/raven_enigmatic_pagan_symbol

My impression is that ravens in this deck are intended to be seen as messengers and purveyors of divine guidance. Barbara Moore seems to hint at this in her companion book to this deck. In The Fool, she mentions that the Fool is ignoring the raven sitting on the signpost, suggesting that the Fool, instead, prefers "a more random method or, perhaps, a more intuitive one to pick her path." This implies that the raven would give the fool guidance in choosing her path, if she would only pay attention.

In The Magician, Barbara Moore asks, "Are the ravens in the background taking her wishes to heaven or bringing her inspiration or something else altogether?" This question implies that the ravens may be conveying communications in either direction. In other cards I've looked at where ravens are present, this same significance of guidance and communication seems to apply.

Alan