Anna K.1. The Magician

Briar Rose

Anna K. 1. The Magician

The card shows a sideway view of a Magician working magic at his table. On his table is 4 tarot elements, a cup, sword, wand and pentacle. The Magician's right hand is extened over his tools (the elements) and his left hand is palm up to which appears to be a vortex of some kind. Perhaps the Energy of all four elements?

The books reads that, 'The Magician symbolises the ability to influence the world and the course of life.' 'A dangerous aspect of the Magician is that he might misuse is power, his knowlege and his charisma to manipulate others.'

This card always reminds me that anything is possible if I keep my mind to it. It me it means that I can accomplish anything because the power is in me. However, if the card comes up in readings for others I try to be mindful of the cards around it and notice the character of the person I am doing the reading for. It could also mean a not so desirable person, or trickster.

Dr.Girlfriend

1- The Magician

What strikes me first is the black background, the age of the Magician, his long gray beard and voluminous purple robes. There's a darker feel than in the RW. He looks like a sorceror, not just a 'magician', someone who may be very versed in dark as well as light 'magic' and someone with greater power. More like Merlin or Gandalf; not just a magician who is a master of the art of illusion and entertains people with it, but a Serious Master of the Magical Arts and one who uses those arts for Serious Purposes. From the portrayal of his face, it's not clear to me whether or not he is a benign figure; that seems ambiguous, which I think is correct that it not be made clear. He could be a kindly teacher, or a very intimidating one, and probably both.
I love that Anna use dark, even black backgrounds as freely as she does. I think it enhances the sense of mystery, power and awe, and I think that's right. We shouldn't be too comfortable about these cards: we are handling and interacting with objects and symbols of power, just like the Magician!

This Magician has spent a lifetime being devoted to these Arts. Is he Dumbledore or Snape? It looks like he's smiling, but what kind of smile is it? It doesn't look 100% kindly. Is he a manifestation of the Trickster? He can use his powers to illuminate or deceive.
To me this card is about power, and it poses the question: How do you use your power? It asks us to think about how we use our own personal power, and to use it consciously and direct it consciously, rather than unconsciously. So while the Fool is unconscious, the Magician is VERY conscious, and focuses and directs his consciousness in ways of his choosing.
The Fool is about not being in control, the Magician is about being very much in control, of himself, of his environment, maybe even of other people.
Anna's portrayals make it very clear, much moreso than the RW, that each card involves light and shadow. You don't have to remind yourself that there is a shadow to every light: it's right there for you to see.

Sulis

Here's an image of the card: http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Anna K Tarot/01_magician.jpg

The Magician looks to the right which to me represents the future. This shows that he is active and forward thinking. He's not inward looking and reflective as the High Priestess is.
He holds all the Aces before him on his working area and he uses them to create whatever he wants.

I think that even though he looks like he's more sorcerer than showy stage magician, his dramatic stance says that the showman is still there. The showman element of the Magician makes me think that he could be an illusionist and a trickster (once more harking back to Le Bateleur in the Tarot de Marseilles) so maybe he's not always to be believed. He can work his audience and is a wonderful communicator. He's not a man to be toyed with.

Dr. Girlfriend I love what you've said about the light and shadow being evident in this card (I haven't read Anna's 'little white book').

His number is 1 so he is the spark, the seed. The Aces relate to The Magician as each one of them also shows raw energy which needs to be manipulated to create what we want.