Anna K 2. High Priestess

Briar Rose

Anna K. 2 High Priestess

This card shows a relaxed woman sitting back on a board walk with water next to her, resting her back against a swirling trunked tree. It is evening and she is looking up at the night sky which shows 4 phases of the moon; full, Wanning Gibbous, Last Quater, and a Waning Cresent moon in her lap. She is completely covered in her clothing, except for her face which is serene. Part of her head dress is in the water and she appears to not notice, or care.

The book reads that 'The High Priestess represents Intuition and Wisdom, Empathy, Forebodings, Patience, and Understanding.'

In the deck I see that the High Priestess as a woman of Wisdom and has the understanding of a full life. They say the night sky is very magical and here she holds the waning crescent moon that has fillfulled it's phases. Like we in life, looking to the Priestess for guidance and assurance everything will be okay.

Usually I tend to depict the High Priestess as being a very sexually strong and pwerful woman. here I see her as more compassionate and understanding with a divine sense of self.

Sulis

Here's an image of the card: http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r298/tarotsulis/Anna K Tarot/HighPriestessII.jpg

I love this High Priestess. She is dark and mysterious looking. She sits facing the left (representing the past and the inner world), in contrast to The Magician who looks to the future and is active. She rests against a gnarly old tree that actually looks like two trees intertwined; one is dark whilst the other is light, reminding us of the 2 pillars shown in many High Priestess cards.
This is a card of duality and of that pause to reflect before action is taken.
She holds the waning, almost dark moon in her lap and gazes towards it as it grows and becomes full.

The thing that leaps out at me when I look at this card is the fact that she has no eyes. This tells me that she looks inward, not outward. She gazes towards the moon and away from the viewer too.
It looks as if she is sitting on some sort of platform which floats on the water - once again signifying the inner world of the subconscious.

Dr.Girlfriend

II: The High Priestess

Briar Rose, thank you for your beautiful description of this card.

What stands out to me, first, is how completely at ease she is, how at home in herself and in nature, in this case the nature of night and the specific kind of illumination that the moon provides. She looks kind, gentle and wise. It's almost like the moon is an extension of her, is emanating from her. The crescent moon in her lap almost looks like she has given birth to the moon.
Which would make her the Mother of the Moon, or one with the moon and it's mysteries and deep powers.
She looks like someone who would put her arms around you and comfort you, or let you lay your head in her lap, which is very different from the RW's High Priestess who looks cold and unapproachable. This High Priestess has love in her heart and seems much more linked to the portrayal of feminine/yin power in Strength. The Power of flowing and allowing, not controlling or "making" anything happen (like the Magician). Yet she is no less powerful than the Magician, and her magic is no less strong.
She is connected to the depths of the psyche, the unconscious (the water); they are a part of each other. Around her it is night, but she herself is illuminated and in the light. She rests against an ancient, gnarled tree whose roots are deep and outstretched.
She speaks to me of being at peace with Not Knowing, of being able to be "in the dark" and yet completely at ease. And she speaks to me of "rightness" - that all is well, everything is as it should be, even though you do not seem to be in control. Similar to the Hanged Man, she speaks to me of a spiritual level of surrender to What Is, without feeling the need to change or control anything. And she symbolizes to me the 'anima', the deep feminine wisdom part of all of us. She doesn't NEED to speak or draw attention to herself, but if you seek her out she will have wisdom to share, and she will share it generously.