Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 214 : September 5 - September 11

VGimlet

I really like the Tarot of Mr. Punch, even though Mr. Punch is a horrid little man. :p

Cards shuffle well, and read very well so far.

I almost consider this a dark deck, though. Mr. Punch actually creeps me out a bit, thanks to Ben Aaronovich....(Rivers of London book series...)

Madrigal

I'm waffling a little on another week with the Devas of Creation and the Tarot of the Spirit. This is one intense combination. After writing up today's draw I went to bed for almost two hours! Granted that wasn't the main reason but it certainly contributed to the feeling of my head being way too full.

I'll draw tomorrow and see how it goes before making the decision to switch. I do love the artwork in both these decks. And the imagery is complex causing me to dig deep but the intensity can only be taken in small doses.

Madame Squee

Thank you for the threads, VGimlet and Madrigal! I'm in this week with Oswald Wirth Tarot (USGames) and Sibilla L'Oracolo Della.

There is only one Oswald Wirth deck in my collection, and it has been there five or seven years, waiting for me to catch up to it.

It's an old U.S. Games deck, packaged in a red window-box. The LWB is a paper accordion with no edition or printing information recorded on it anywhere -- only the copyright date of 1976. The deck came to me with two blank cards but no title card. Even so, it seems like it could be USG's first printing.

The cards are made in Switzerland by AGMuller. The stock feels heavy and looks lightly varnished. The deck is a larger than average, measuring 2-7/16 x 5-13/16 inches, and the stack is exactly 1-inch deep (not including the blank cards).

The tuck-box is old, worn and squashed, handled to the point of softness. The cards are simply glorious. Engraved images painted in pure color float above rectangular pools of hand-poured gold. The gorgeousness of this tarot deck belies its 40 years of existence. Thinking about it, though, its age may explain its beauty. It certainly does mine. :joke: (Ha! No. The years have not been so kind to Madame Squee. :bugeyed:)

I'm really looking forward to this week! :love:

Attachments

• OWT Box.jpg
    OWT Box.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 65
  • OWT LWB.jpg
    OWT LWB.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 60
  • OWT gleaming gold.jpg
    OWT gleaming gold.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 61

Madrigal

Very cool story and pics, Mme Squee. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Chiriku

Welcome back Chiriku, and thanks to our Threadmaster (or Threadmistress?) for the new week's thread. :)

welcome back and welcome to our new participants!

I just wanted to thank you two for these kind messages you gave me in the thread a month ago. It meant a lot to me.

No deck for me this time as I won't be back among my decks for a few weeks.

And in the meantime I still have questions about my birthday reading that I'd like to post elsewhere on the forum for insight.

Enjoy your week(s).

GoldenWolf

I started working with the Tarot D: The Didactic Tarot over the weekend, but forgot to post that here it seems. Duh!

RiverRunsDeep

What a lovely description of your deck, Madame Squee. :)

I'm enjoying my week so far with the Tarot of Pagan Cats. These
kitties give the deck such a fun and playful vibe! I consider it to be
a RWS clone, though many of the cards depict cat-like predicaments,
such as the cat trapped in the tree in the Eight of Swords.

VGimlet

I started working with the Tarot D: The Didactic Tarot over the weekend, but forgot to post that here it seems. Duh!

Nope you remembered! You just forgot you remembered - I do that all the time. You're #10. :cool2:

DaughterOfDanu

I've made my peace with the Dark Fairytale tarot. It's a lot more visually pleasing to work with than I remember, but still it is a deck that has a "shallow" feel to me. I feel that way with a lot of photo-manipulated decks though so I'm not directly blaming it ;) I'm not finding a lot to pull from in terms of symbols and scenes so when I work with it, I'm doing most the work for the reading.

Working with it again has made me curious about the Dark Angels tarot, another that I was initially disappointed with. I think I'll revisit it in the near future too.

JylliM

I feel I have only barely scraped the surface of the Victorian Romantic after my second week with it. Bar one six card spread, I've only used it for one card draws, so I haven't exactly put the deck through its paces. On the 'to do' list!

Over all, I think this is a visually attractive deck with a lot of emotive force. I particularly like the court cards - they have real personality! I think you could give quite in-depth readings with this deck due to the level of detail in the pictures, which suggest complex back stories.

On a practical level, the cards are a bit big and slippery for my liking. It makes shuffling a bit unwieldy. Lucky they're so gorgeous or I probably wouldn't bother!