Hello

Learntarot2

Hi everyone.

I've been reading tarot for just over 7 yrs but I still cannot read for myself.

I don't know why and I've tried.

Any suggestions?

SNOW

Tanga

LOL :) (I can hardly ever read for myself either - my head/expectations/etc. just get in the way). If I have a really burning question - I'll go to a reader for it.
Mostly though - I work out my stuff without needing a reading.
But of course I love cards! I keep a Tarot Altar on my wall - were I can see Tarot cards every day and contemplate them whenever I have a free moment.

- Try one card draws for the day. Either morning or night. Keep your interpretation light an if it doesn't fit - don't force it. It just doesn't fit and next time it will make more sense to you.

- 3 card draws along the lines of: This would be good to do/This would be good to avoid/Celebrate this today!

- Very short readings that are more about your esoteric state than a specific question (i.e. what elements could be missing in the way I see, do or receive/hear things this week?).

- Sometimes if I "Ask my spirit guide" the question about me and then read using their cards (I have a specific Tarot deck for speaking to spirits/guides/the departed etc.) plus as if listening to them speak - the reading works better. Lol. Go figure that bit of psychology out. :joke:

yannie

Hi snow, I'm quite the opposite of you - I don't dare to read for anyone else but myself :) Fell into using tarot as a means of communicating with my spirit guides.

I would echo Tanga in saying keep your interpretation light. Note the cards lightly and let them go for the moment - the meaning will become clear to you when the time is right.

cwilkerson883

I can't read or feel anything for myself. I don't try. I just let someone else do it in exchange for a reading. It's more common than you think. A doctor who needs surgery won't oporate on themselves. So why should I be able to use my talent on myself? It makes sense to me and I never thought I was less able to read for others by not having the ability. I never thought to question it

LindaMechele

What happens when you try, Learntarot? Do you just not see anything? Do you see only doom and gloom? Do you get the meanings of the cards, but can't relate them to the others in the spread? With some more info, someone may be able to help you more.

My suggestion would be to record the reading somehow, typing or writing your interpretation. Sometimes I find that the act of typing or writing breaks that block down for me. I use the Evernote app on my phone. It makes it easy to take a photo of the spread, then type in my interpretation of the reading (I have a bluetooth keyboard so typing is a breeze).

If I'm stuck, I'll type my interp, noting any recurring themes (multiple cards of the same suit or the same number/court, if most cards show feminine archetypes, if most are reversals - anything I notice that seems out of the ordinary), then look up the meanings of each card in a book, typing the meanings that stand out to me and seem relevant. Then I'll reread the cards as they lay with all this fresh in my mind.

If I'm still not getting it, I'll put it up for a bit and look at it again later, at another time of day even. Many times the lightbulb goes on over coffee when I just saw rubbish the night before.