The Wild Unknown Tarot - VII Wands

Sulis

A lone wand or twig stands in the darkness, it's tip is on fire and gives off a bright glow which lights up the area around it. In front of it, in the darkness and so pictured as white wands (the lone wand is black) are 6 other wands, they have parted in the middle as if to let the flaming wand through.

This card says to me 'It's all about you and what you believe in, stand up for those beliefs'... For me, there isn't so much of a defensive quality to this image as in the RWS image; these wands or sticks aren't attacking the main one, they've got out of the way and allowed the main wand to stand tall and to shine. It's like the parting of The Red sea except in wand-form :).

I see the Fire element as representing action, life force, core beliefs etc and I see 7s as being related to The Chariot. They're about forging ahead, going deeper, initiation and testing yourself after the comfort and balance of the 6s. With the 7s it's as if you're fed up with things just going along nicely and you're in need of adding a bit of spice or something to shake things up a bit. These aren't unexpected or uncontrollable changes like the ones that come in the 5s though, these are us making a conscious decision to forge ahead or test ourselves.
7s also show problems but problems that can be overcome if we really apply ourselves (again that Chariot influence).

So this card says to me that there may be some problems but I need to stand firm and believe in the courage of my convictions. Apply myself to the problem, maybe do something in a slightly different way but believe in myself.
That burning torch is like something to aim for and to focus on.

Attachments

• 7 Wands.jpg
    7 Wands.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 917

ivanna

Hi Sulis,

Throught this posts I'm learning that the Wild Unknown has nothing to do with the meanings of the Rider Waite. I'm starting to look to this deck with different eyes as before, it's just taking me a time to understand it.

For me this card means that you are alone, you will have to do things yourself, no one is going to do the job for you. You just have to stick with it and have enough courage to continue but right now you are able to do it your self, so be confident and go on.

Sulis

Hi Sulis,

Throught this posts I'm learning that the Wild Unknown has nothing to do with the meanings of the Rider Waite. I'm starting to look to this deck with different eyes as before, it's just taking me a time to understand it.

For me this card means that you are alone, you will have to do things yourself, no one is going to do the job for you. You just have to stick with it and have enough courage to continue but right now you are able to do it your self, so be confident and go on.
Hi Ivanna,

Yes, I can see that too in this image, it's almost saying 'Never mind the others, let your own flame burn brightly'..
Thanks, I like that :).

Sagefire

Sulis said:
A lone wand or twig stands in the darkness, it's tip is on fire and gives off a bright glow which lights up the area around it. In front of it, in the darkness and so pictured as white wands (the lone wand is black) are 6 other wands, they have parted in the middle as if to let the flaming wand through.
You have described this so perfectly. Your numerology is also totally helpful, I struggle with sevens....so kind of elusive. When I first saw this card I thought, those white wands are awestruck, speechless, or fearful. They stand back from the flaming wand as if to say, "Don't mess with that guy..." Makes me think about RWS 6 of Wands and how the people parade the rider to celebrate him. This card is sort of an extension of that, people moving out of the way to let someone they respect pass. What appears to be an obstacle becomes something that facilitates movement. Without the other six wands, this card looks much like an Ace, implying perhaps that in order to accomplish things you can't just have raw power, you must be able to apply that raw power towards challenges.

I draw this card semi-frequently, and it is refreshing to have it realized in a way that isn't all "me against them." It reaffirms that if you focus on yourself, the other things will move out of the way. Walk with your head held high, so to speak.

Sulis

I like the way you're seeing this as a continuation of the VI Wands.. I often view the minors like that, especially with decks that use pips rather than scenes on the minor cards.

I really like your the way you've seen an obstacle becoming something that helps... I'll definitely add that to my own list of meanings for this one and I can see the Ace in this card too..

Thanks Sagefire :).

Pixna

I see this card as one of encouragement to maintain our convictions and let our passions, strength, courage, and beliefs burn brightly. Even if we stand alone, we can stand tall and be a beacon in the darkness. The other (white) wands appear to be fearful or awestruck. The lone fiery wand will lead the way; it's up to the others to follow ... or not.

This card gives me a feeling of strength, peace, and comfort. I see in it the quiet but powerful light within us all that will always provide guidance, inspiration, and direction whenever we find ourselves in the dark.

Sulis

I see this card as one of encouragement to maintain our convictions and let our passions, strength, courage, and beliefs burn brightly. Even if we stand alone, we can stand tall and be a beacon in the darkness. The other (white) wands appear to be fearful or awestruck. The lone fiery wand will lead the way; it's up to the others to follow ... or not.

This card gives me a feeling of strength, peace, and comfort. I see in it the quiet but powerful light within us all that will always provide guidance, inspiration, and direction whenever we find ourselves in the dark.

I love what you've said here, particularly the part about the other wands looking fearful or awestruck - they do :).
And yes, it's up to others to follow or not...
Thanks for joining in Pixna, I'm really enjoying your posts. This deck seems to really be able to give each reader their own, personal insights... Love it..

Pixna

Thank you so very much, Sulis! This is the first deck in a VERY long while that has tugged at my heart, drawn me in, and pulled me back to the Tarot. I love it too!

danieljuk

Sulis I really like your idea about it's standing up for you! let your flame burn bright even when you don't fit in to the people around you or with how they want you to act or be. They will fall down like those wands anyway, if you just keep true to yourself. There is an individuality to this card to celebrate yourself and also the RWS meaning of this card about Challenges linked to the Chariot.

But in Kim's writing in the book and app she has the keywords "courage, inner strength" for the card. It's quite a different take on it from the traditional meaning in RWS. The first time I ever saw the card, I was having an awful day and feeling so depressed. I pulled a card and got this card! In that moment of my sadness and dark mood, it was a light! This version of the card is almost like the Star but with a different meaning, it is hope in the darkness! A flaming torch in the misery and the obstacles move out of the way so you can see that light is there. In my moment, it gave me illumination and I always find this card quite comforting now. But this isn't about finding support from others around you, it's about finding your inner light in yourself!

In numerology as well as 7's being about a challenge, they are also about introspection and faith. I think this card is about having self-faith! Find the fire inside again, either to stand up for your beliefs or who you are as a person or find it again when you are in a dark place! Find that burning branch of hope because it's in all of us. Unlike some of the other cards in the deck where there are twigs and branches blocking the light, the other wands have been moved out of the way! Find the inner light of strength again :)