New book - "Explaining the Tarot"

gregory

How very nice :) Thanks, Ross.

conversus

I ordered two copies, one for myself and one for our Library.

CED

Ross G Caldwell

That's great conversus!

I hope more libraries can hear about it. Being published in the UK, I think there is a law requiring 3 or 4 national libraries to get a copy (the most for any state I believe - in the US and France it is only one).

Since they are two 16th century Italian texts that are extremely obscure - and one has never been published before (we transcribed it from manuscript) - we sent a review copy to each of The Journal of Renaissance Studies (UK based) and Renaissance Quarterly (US based) so that scholars in this field can hear about something they have likely never heard about before.

le pendu

Ross, I'm so proud of you and Marco. Both of you have contributed so much to the online tarot community over the years, it's wonderful to see some of your research in print.

Congratulations!

prudence

just ordered mine

Yes! This is exactly what I have been wanting for ages. Big thank yous to both Ross and Marco. :thumbsup:

Pagan X

Thirty years ago, I did a Freshman Humanities paper on Tarot symbolism in Dante's Divine Comedy.

That was a fun paper.

Ah, memories...ordered and thanks!

DoctorArcanus

Many thanks to you all for your interest in our book!

I hope you will enjoy reading it :)

Marco

Moonbow

I'm delighted for you all, Ross, Marco and Thierry. This sounds like a 'must have' book, and I do appreciate the work you guys put into Tarot research and studies.

Bat Chicken

I ordered a copy... Very excited to read this one!

prudence

I just got mine today and am so happy that I ordered it. I went straight to page 42 to read "A Discourse on why game-playing and Tarot in particular, was invented". It is so far just what I was hoping it would be, (at least this particular section) in that it is fleshing out the images of the trumps, as well as the suits in a way that is historically based and so thoroughly described that I am not left with any holes in my understanding of an image.

My interest in this book, and my appetite for tarot history in general is fueled by the (probably foolish) desire to read the cards using historical decks and the historically based descriptions of the "characters" depicted within them. So, I just want to let others (who may not normally have any interest in tarot history) know that this book could be very helpful to those who want to explore reading with older decks while using some of these vivid descriptions to inform their narrative. It's really not just for the hard core history buffs, I can't stress that enough.

Thank you very much, Marco, Ross and Thierry.

PS I do of course realize that the tarot deck was created as a game. ;)