There was a wish: A new Forum

Teheuti

It seems to me that this is already subsumed under the word "theories" in the following.

"'Historical Research': Research, studies and theories on the origins and development of Tarot and playing cards."

We could take the word 'theories' out since historians understand the word differently than does the general public. Also, the existing section is not really the place for a more free-wheeling discussion of the history of ideas and philosophies, much less pet theories about the Tarot being a remnant of stone-age culture.

Is the Tarot part of an underground stream in which it was known to Jacob Boehme, Raymond Llull, Paracelsus, Swedenborg, etc.? Perhaps something will come to light.

cardlady22

Tarot Myth: Ideology, Mystery, & Possibility

Stormdancer

Wow. Y'all just need a playground...the lighter side of Tarot History & Iconography.

Luminosa

I like Cardlady 22's suggestion.

The crowned one

If it is speculation, it is not necessarily history. History is the study of past events. Speculations based on historic data and the events around the history of your topic make sense and we have a forum for it... but speculations based on personal idea's with a foundation only the one speculating can connect the dots to is likely not history, it is fantasy.

I think enough is known about tarot that many of the alternative branches can be decisively discounted. If there is a new forum I would not like to see it as a sub forum in history, but rather in talking tarot, since we are asking for opinions :) I at one time had a pet theory the cards (Mamluks) came originally from Persian carpet designs, the symbols in them were taken out and put onto paper... I no longer believe this and I was able to disprove it fairly well before talking about it ( until now) on a forum. ;)

Teheuti

Where should the History of ideas go? It's never really fit in the Historical Research section.

from Wikipedia:
"The history of ideas is a field of research in history that deals with the expression, preservation, and change of human ideas over time. The history of ideas is a sister-discipline to, or a particular approach within, intellectual history. Work in the history of ideas may involve interdisciplinary research in the history of philosophy, the history of science, or the history of literature."

Titadrupah

Talking Tarot forum is great, but in its scope you'll find things from "Why is one deck (not) enough?" to "Looking online for new decks " and "Printing your own decks? "
Maybe focusing on certain topics would do us good...

Stormdancer

Talking Tarot forum is great, but in its scope you'll find things from "Why is one deck (not) enough?" to "Looking online for new decks " and "Printing your own decks? "
And the problem is???

Where should the History of ideas go? It's never really fit in the Historical Research section.
Perhaps not the "Historical Research"...why not Tarot History & Iconography"?"

Again. Why not just have a spot for random musings??? Why is this such an issue? I, for one, am fascinated by TCO's mention of rugs. I WILL be looking at what my feet are trodding upon....JUST FOR FUN....and maybe something else? ( And YES, I am AWARE that my grammar is wrong...or just awkward. Did you understand my post? Then I HAVE communicated)

Titadrupah

Maybe focusing on certain topics would do us good...

And the problem is???

There is no problem, the PROPOSAL is a forum/group with a relatively particular focus.

Huck

There is no problem, the PROPOSAL is a sub-Forum with a relatively particular focus.

Just to have it clear:
I think, the proposal is, that the meta-group "Tarot History & Iconography" get's a 6th group, independent from the 5 other groups of the mentioned meta-group, as there are:

"Marseilles & Other Early Decks
The symbolism of Marseilles, Visconti and other pre-1910 Tarot decks, and how to read with them.

Rider-Waite-Smith
Study of the symbolism and detail of the original Rider-Waite Tarot.

Thoth Tarot
Aleister Crowley's and Lady Frieda Harris's Thoth Tarot.

Historical Research
Research, studies and theories on the origins and development of Tarot and playing cards.

Kabbalah & Alphabets
Jewish mysticism and its esoteric use, alphabets, and their application to Tarot."

The Thoth-group has a sub-forum: Golden Dawn Traditions ... I didn't understand, that something like this was intended.