Mummluks Cards Originals And Fac Similes

Bernice

Yes Huck, I just popped over to Trifoni. I read about the 5X14 structure/theory some time ago (at trifoni - a favourite browsing ground of mine).

Pity about the copyright issue - I'd love to see the scans.

Bee

Huck

I'm not so sure, what the copyright state is in such a case.

It's for research, so who cares ...

These items are human history and they're the possession of mankind. Sure, some museums try to copyright their objects to earn a little money ... but actually with this approach they are the thieves of objects, which are in the possession of mankind. Well, somehow they're the owner, but are they .. as owners ... actually allowed to destroy such things? No ... they just have or own them for the moment.
These are things which form - as other things - the collective memory of mankind. They serve as objects of study to get the memory of lost contexts back ... and actually this process is of higher worth as the physical objects itself. Nobody owns this collective memory.

These objects are already only reproductions ... those, who made the reproduction, already earned their money ... likely the edition is sold out long ago.

... who cares in such a case for a copyright. Actually the museum should be happy, that their objects get a little reflection in the public ... perhaps one or the other reader really visits the museum once just cause this few cards. Our talking about them just adds to the fame. I for instance wouldn't know the Topkapi Museum, if it wouldn't house these cards ... which are surely only a minor object in their big collection.

... the publisher is happy to be noted, in the case, that he still is active. Perhaps somebody, who hears from the deck, buys another of their reproductions.

Everybody is happy or at least has reason to be ... and we shall fear the copyright law? This is absurd. Somehow one states with such a fear: "Please excuse, that I exist ... "

Bernice

... who cares in such a case for a copyright

I don't care Huck! I'm with you 100%. But Strange2 is concerned.... and Strange2 has the repro. cards.

Wondering now if any other person on this Forum has the mamluk deck?

Bee

Strange2

To keep our interest in these fascinating cards alive, attached is another sampler scan, this of the four court cards from the Sticks / Batons suite.

They are (from left to right in the scan):
- King (reconstruction)
- Lieutenant (reproduction)
- Second Lieutenant (reproduction) - per the booklet: "In this pack a card exists of which we don't know what it represents. Mayer considered it a joker, without being too sure. This figure served as such for the 2nd lieutenant, but a caption was added."
- Aide (reproduction)

Enjoy...

Attachments

• Mamluk_Sticks_Courts.jpg
    Mamluk_Sticks_Courts.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 290

thinbuddha

decks may still be available

I know a guy who knows a guy.....

I contacted Kenji a few months back, and at that time, there were still some decks available. If I remember right, the price was something like $200 per deck.

-tb

Honda Civic

They're so beautiful... thank you for posting these sample scans, strange2.

Strange2

Another sampler scan, of the Swords

1 - reproduction
2 - recreation
3 - reproduction
4 - reproduction

Attachments

• Mamluk_Swords_1-4.jpg
    Mamluk_Swords_1-4.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 281

Bernice

They are really lovely strange2. Thank you for posting them.

Thinbuddha, if I win the pools I'll be buying the deck!

Bee

Strange2

A sample scan of the Mamluk coins:

King, 5, 7, 8 (all reproductions)

Attachments

• Mamluk_Coins_K578.jpg
    Mamluk_Coins_K578.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 275

Bernice

Thank you Strange2.