Singing Bowls

tarotbear

Singing bowls - sounds like a 60s 'girl group'! :joke:

"And now - Susan Swivelhips and the Singing Bowls perform their rendition (no one did a 'cover' then!) of 'Life is Just a Bowl Full of Cherries.' " :p

Debra

We have several metal bowls. My husband has to talent for playing, but rarely does because they make the cats upset and aggressive.

The Happy Squirrel

I have two, one I take with me when I'm traveling because it's tiny. I love em. I bought mine at the Peace of Mind Bookstore in Tulsa many years ago. Sigh. They're in storage right now along with all my belongings.

Wow, nice elephant stand and wooden ringer you got there!

The Happy Squirrel

Singing bowls - sounds like a 60s 'girl group'! :joke:

"And now - Susan Swivelhips and the Singing Bowls perform their rendition (no one did a 'cover' then!) of 'Life is Just a Bowl Full of Cherries.' " :p

:D :D :D

The Happy Squirrel

10 years ago my friend a. was in Bodgaya, India for the Kalachakra that the Dalai Lama held. She had bought a small 6' singing bowl for me there and it got blessed by him!

In the fall of 2012 one of my shamanic patients decided to sell one of her Canadian "cottages" and buy a bigger condo in Toronto. She also had 2 large storage garages full of stufffff and antiques and wanted to "trim down " a bit. She had about 45 LARGE Crystal Singing Bowls - the expensive ones where the silica sand is mixed with tiny flakes of diamonds, rubies, emeralds and... you name it.
She also had about 10 of the "practitioner bowls" - the ones with the handle. Each of these items cost a fortune, from several 100dreds to several thousand $$$$.....
They each had their own padded travel and storage case....
Anyway.
One late night at her place, she pulled them all out and sorted through them, stating, that she just did not like the white ones - and either I could have them all - or they are going into the trash! :bugeyed:
NOW!!!
OK, soooo: Stunned and not even trusting our luck my husband Peter and I packed them all into our car. There were 7 of them.
see picture 1
So I had to get familiar with my new prize and sort out, which bowl intones with which chakra.

I learned quickly to appreciate these simple treasures and learned to work with them. A few month later I did a workshop for the 12.12 2012 and used them with clients for the first time.
Previously I always only used drums and rattles for shamanic work.....
My clients and the workshop participants loved the bowls!
Over the next few years until today I got several more bowls.
One magnificent practitioner bowl for the throat chakra ♥
Another heart chakra one
Then in the Goodwill store in Barrie I found yet another one - for $ 6.00 - among the salad bowls.....
then there is a very generous soul here on AT who via gregory gifted me yet another beautiful bowl! ♥
Right now this one serves - and delights as our "group bowl" for our weekly community drum circle and my friend Fran, who does Rei Ki and massage uses it for her clients.

Wooooow.....

The Happy Squirrel

Wow Mi-Shell, those bowls are absolutely stunning! They are wonderful tools and definitely found their way to the right person.
I've got 2 metal bowls; one is a very old one from Tibet and the other is not so ancient but hails from Nepal. I was working at an event helping out at a friend's stall.
Whilst wandering around the site I found a stall selling Tibetan bowls. I went over and played around with them but kept getting drawn back to a very small old looking bowl (the first one I'd picked up). I couldnt get anything out of any of the others but this one really sang when I played it.I didnt have enough money so just walked away.
Anyway, for the first time ever, we made good money on the stall - enough that I could get the bowl! I ran back to the stall expecting it to have sold (he had done a roaring trade all weekend) but there it was, waiting. I bought it immediately.
There was another stall selling bowls from Nepal and I had enough to buy one from there too (again, couldnt get anything out of the others but this one really sang).
I treasure both of them, but that little Tibetan bowl is my absolute favourite. I use it for space clearing and for when I need a pick-me-up.
There is a guy in my town who has a wonderful collection of crystal and metal singing bowls which he works with at events and with clients; he credits them with his recovery from years of ME.

I tend to get a bit stressed out and anxious from time to time. Usually I would simply breath in and out, with the breathing out through my mouth, in regular paces.

But hitting one of the bowls, or two which tones 'go together', whatever chakra they may be associated with, helps a lot.

I have always wonder if the whole ASMR thing where some people took the concept of and started whispering publicly all over the place on YouTube is essentially suppose to elicit the same thing (whatever it is) as that feeling that we get when we play our singing bowls.

Or, like that feeling that some of us get when listening to the rain....

The Happy Squirrel

Speaking of ringer / hitting instrument / mallet, I found using the conventional orchestral ones to be great as well!

Tanga

Ah yes... singing bowls. Crystal ones... metal ones...
They dissipate unservicable energy away and draw clean healing energy in - that's originally why I was interested. The only instrument that does both at the same time (apparently).

Some years ago I was curious about a sound therapy healing course. (at the time they were trying to make it into a sort-off degree training).
The ladies there had a large selection of both and set them up for demos at festivals and stuff. The larger (in crystal) I listened to - the more I liked the sound. Deeper, lower tones.
But - having such a laaaarge bowl (bucket sized/barrel sized) - lol. No place for one for starters. Not to mention expense. (Lucky Mi-Shell. Meant to be - huh).

I have 4 Tibetan brass ones. The largest has a span of about 7 inches (as well as tingshas, bells of various kinds, one small gong, a single and a set of therapy tuning forks, various rattles and a "modern sistrum" I made myself. Perhaps I missed my spot as a Shamanic sound healer :). Ah well - next lifetime then...).

In my therapy room, one of my favourite CDs is "Golden Bowls" by Karma Moffett (background music in a therapy room - quite a tricky thing).
It's the nicest one I've heard of a variation I tried. He has the same one with sounds of the sea in the background called "Ocean Bowls".

The Happy Squirrel

Ah yes... singing bowls. Crystal ones... metal ones...
They dissipate unservicable energy away and draw clean healing energy in - that's originally why I was interested. The only instrument that does both at the same time (apparently).

Some years ago I was curious about a sound therapy healing course. (at the time they were trying to make it into a sort-off degree training).
The ladies there had a large selection of both and set them up for demos at festivals and stuff. The larger (in crystal) I listened to - the more I liked the sound. Deeper, lower tones.
But - having such a laaaarge bowl (bucket sized/barrel sized) - lol. No place for one for starters. Not to mention expense. (Lucky Mi-Shell. Meant to be - huh).

I have 4 Tibetan brass ones. The largest has a span of about 7 inches (as well as tingshas, bells of various kinds, one small gong, a single and a set of therapy tuning forks, various rattles and a "modern sistrum" I made myself. Perhaps I missed my spot as a Shamanic sound healer :). Ah well - next lifetime then...).

In my therapy room, one of my favourite CDs is "Golden Bowls" by Karma Moffett (background music in a therapy room - quite a tricky thing).
It's the nicest one I've heard of a variation I tried. He has the same one with sounds of the sea in the background called "Ocean Bowls".

My first large (deep sounding) Tibetan bowl is on its way to me soon. I found that these metal ones tend to sit wider while those crystal ones are higher for the lower sounds?

All of my bowls are about 7 inches for some reason I have just not found the right one for me as far as the higher and lower notes are concerned....

So far I have been trying to get as much range as possible for the hitting instrument so I could get a large variety of sounds from each bowl :)

And then of course there is the matter of finding what base is best!

Those CDs looks good. I will check them out. I usually just jump on to YouTube. Some soothing tunes from YellowBrickCinema and for singing bowls there is TempleSounds

:)