Cleansing Crystals with Oil not Water?

linnie

Hello Padma and CN, and other wonderful souls... Nice to meet you rebelgirl1749 :)

I also rinse mine very quickly in running water, and let most of them sit outside in lightning, rain, sun, and moonshine... although each stone has its own requirements re sun/water etc that I must remind myself of. Sodalite is said to fade if left in direct sunlight, and malachite, too, for memory. If I feel moved to sun them, I just tuck them in under other stones that are having a sunbathe. :)

I do sometimes lay crystals on top of a larger clear quartz, amethyst or citrine ... but I also occasionally bury a stone halfway into the ground (especially if it has lost its inner radiance :) It clearly needs a rest.

Failing the various outdoor element cleanses, I use my trusty White Sage smudge stick to smudge crystals that need to refresh their shine.

Because I love very pure essential oils, each for their various properties, I sometimes use a drop of essential oil in the palm of my hand with a tiny amount of sweet almond oil or etc. I rub the oil into my palms, and then roll the stone around in my oily palms... the stone smells delicious and looks brighter. I use oils on porous stones, though, like naturally rounded river stones :) I haven't ever oiled crystals...

Lastly, but firstly, really (;-)), I place my stones and crystals on the centre rock in the middle of my labyrinth. The middle stone is altar-like, and it feels very good to lay them on there knowing that the full moon is due, or that there will be light rain... I go back to collect them the next day, or if that feels too soon give them extra time. I really get the feeling that they are beaming radiantly happily at me after a labyrinth visit! :)

Many blessings to you all.

celticnoodle

Hello Padma and CN, and other wonderful souls... Nice to meet you rebelgirl1749 :)
Hello again, Padma! *waves* (I also said hi in the comp thread)

I also rinse mine very quickly in running water, and let most of them sit outside in lightning, rain, sun, and moonshine... although each stone has its own requirements re sun/water etc that I must remind myself of. Sodalite is said to fade if left in direct sunlight, and malachite, too, for memory. If I feel moved to sun them, I just tuck them in under other stones that are having a sunbathe. :)

I use to rinse mine in running water, but I am afraid to do this anymore tbh, as I am terrified of ruining it. I've heard such horror stories of water damage and the same with sun fading too. I sometimes still remember to put them in the moonlight, but for the most part, I am sticking to the the clear quartz and then the oil for my opals. :)

I do sometimes lay crystals on top of a larger clear quartz, amethyst or citrine ... but I also occasionally bury a stone halfway into the ground (especially if it has lost its inner radiance :) It clearly needs a rest.
I'm so glad you mentioned the amethyst too because I thought I read that somewhere then couldn't be 100%! And, the citrine too, eh? Thats good to know. I may have known that before, but I have a horrible memory. :D

Failing the various outdoor element cleanses, I use my trusty White Sage smudge stick to smudge crystals that need to refresh their shine.
This is one thing I tried a few times but I can't stand the aroma of it. :laugh: So, no more white sage smudge sticks for me!

Because I love very pure essential oils, each for their various properties, I sometimes use a drop of essential oil in the palm of my hand with a tiny amount of sweet almond oil or etc. I rub the oil into my palms, and then roll the stone around in my oily palms... the stone smells delicious and looks brighter. I use oils on porous stones, though, like naturally rounded river stones :) I haven't ever oiled crystals...
and, THIS! I never thought of rubbing it into my palm first! Great idea! I also love the thought of rolling the crystal between my palms too. Especially if these crystals are used for energy work--since the palm of the hands have a good strong healing energy chakra in them. So, THIS I will try! :thumbsup: Thanks Linnie!

Lastly, but firstly, really (;-)), I place my stones and crystals on the centre rock in the middle of my labyrinth. The middle stone is altar-like, and it feels very good to lay them on there knowing that the full moon is due, or that there will be light rain... I go back to collect them the next day, or if that feels too soon give them extra time. I really get the feeling that they are beaming radiantly happily at me after a labyrinth visit! :)

Many blessings to you all.

Oh, I've always dreamed of having a labyrinth. Alas, my hubby is not big on it, so I'll have to think about creating a 'temporary' one that can be layed out quickly and easily when I am wanting to use it and then rolled up and put away when I'm not using it. :D But, I do like this idea too! Great idea!

Thanks for your input here, Linnie, and its good to see you on here again! I know you're busy and will be back to us again when you have the time. Happy New Year and blessings to you and yours this 2016.

MandMaud

Oh, I've always dreamed of having a labyrinth. Alas, my hubby is not big on it, so I'll have to think about creating a 'temporary' one that can be layed out quickly and easily when I am wanting to use it and then rolled up and put away when I'm not using it. :D But, I do like this idea too! Great idea!

How about a tarot cloth or similar - obviously that's 2D rather than 3D, but still could be very lovely and "atmospheric".

EmpyreanKnight

Just yesterday, I saw that some small sections of my amethyst druzy cluster was crumbling, turning into powder. I wonder why that happened? Anyway, it left some marks on the cluster that washing with water can't get rid off. It looked parched and dry and flat. I then applied some drops of baby oil to the affected parts and it worked like a charm after I rubbed it a bit. It looked great again, and the very pleasant smell really complemented it. My amethyst bloomed, and I must say it felt like it was happy too. :)

When I looked at the ingredients of the baby oil, it only stated mineral oil. So I googled oil and crystals, and many of the posts were supportive, but only if you used essential oils. One particularly warned against mineral oil, so I guess to be on the safe side I will just be using essential oils from now on.

celticnoodle

How about a tarot cloth or similar - obviously that's 2D rather than 3D, but still could be very lovely and "atmospheric".
That is also a great idea! :D

Just yesterday, I saw that some small sections of my amethyst druzy cluster was crumbling, turning into powder. I wonder why that happened? Anyway, it left some marks on the cluster that washing with water can't get rid off. It looked parched and dry and flat. I then applied some drops of baby oil to the affected parts and it worked like a charm after I rubbed it a bit. It looked great again, and the very pleasant smell really complemented it. My amethyst bloomed, and I must say it felt like it was happy too. :)
oh my! I'm glad the baby oil helped, and yeah, I love the aroma of it myself. I've always used it on my opals (and sometimes I use extra virgin olive oil..) and its the same way. After rubbing it into the opal stone, it just glows beautifully!

When I looked at the ingredients of the baby oil, it only stated mineral oil. So I googled oil and crystals, and many of the posts were supportive, but only if you used essential oils. One particularly warned against mineral oil, so I guess to be on the safe side I will just be using essential oils from now on.
hmmmm...I've used the baby oil for YEARS! When I was 13, I received my first opal--a ring. At that time, my family never used olive oil, so it wasn't in the house. Baby oil was however, and I used it exclusively on my opal for decades. Yes, literally decades. It was well over one decade before I even began to purchase olive oil for my own home--I just never used it or purchased it. I still have that opal ring and I rub whatever is close at hand in it. The olive oil--which we now cook exclusively with or the baby oil, which I always have on hand as well.

EmpyreanKnight

That is also a great idea! :D

oh my! I'm glad the baby oil helped, and yeah, I love the aroma of it myself. I've always used it on my opals (and sometimes I use extra virgin olive oil..) and its the same way. After rubbing it into the opal stone, it just glows beautifully!

hmmmm...I've used the baby oil for YEARS! When I was 13, I received my first opal--a ring. At that time, my family never used olive oil, so it wasn't in the house. Baby oil was however, and I used it exclusively on my opal for decades. Yes, literally decades. It was well over one decade before I even began to purchase olive oil for my own home--I just never used it or purchased it. I still have that opal ring and I rub whatever is close at hand in it. The olive oil--which we now cook exclusively with or the baby oil, which I always have on hand as well.

I honestly think baby oil works great too. I mean, the fresh, playful smell of the oil perfectly matched the purple of the cluster, and it sparkled like a dream. And if it worked for you for years, I guess there really is nothing wrong with using it. That set my mind at ease.

I do want to try high grade floral oils though. I think my mom still has her stash of Bulgarian attar of roses. I bet my crystals would just love it. :)

MandMaud

hmmmm...I've used the baby oil for YEARS!

I'd have thought mineral oil would be fine, "in theory" as well as in practice - stones are mineral after all!

But rose oil, on rose quartz, mmmm.... :heart:

The oil idea is new to me, and I used a smidgen of coconut oil on my new sodalite owl, rubbing it between my palms as someone mentioned in this thread. He does look happier. She, actually, I think. But it didn't get rid of the little grey patches that look like dried-up dust, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if they'd be part of the stone itself, or dirty spots.

Padma

Any oil will make a stone shiny...cause it is oil. Oil makes things shiny. :p

Padma

But it didn't get rid of the little grey patches that look like dried-up dust, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if they'd be part of the stone itself, or dirty spots.

It's part of the stone, Mandy :)

celticnoodle

I honestly think baby oil works great too. I mean, the fresh, playful smell of the oil perfectly matched the purple of the cluster, and it sparkled like a dream. And if it worked for you for years, I guess there really is nothing wrong with using it. That set my mind at ease.

I do want to try high grade floral oils though. I think my mom still has her stash of Bulgarian attar of roses. I bet my crystals would just love it. :)
Good. :) Glad it put your mind at ease. And, ooooh, that oil of your mothers even sounds delicious! :)

I'd have thought mineral oil would be fine, "in theory" as well as in practice - stones are mineral after all!

But rose oil, on rose quartz, mmmm.... :heart:

The oil idea is new to me, and I used a smidgen of coconut oil on my new sodalite owl, rubbing it between my palms as someone mentioned in this thread. He does look happier. She, actually, I think. But it didn't get rid of the little grey patches that look like dried-up dust, if you know what I mean. I'm not sure if they'd be part of the stone itself, or dirty spots.
Oh yes, rose oil on a rose quartz sounds lovely too! I may need to purchase some to just try it on my rose quartz. The rose quartz is one of my favorite stones. Just so beautiful and always relaxes me--mellows me out. :D

Padma, I've been meaning to post that i love your avatar! :D