Victorian Flower Oracle: Thistle

.traveller.

Thistle
Threat

Image: A Scots Thistle Woman brandishes thorns the size of ice picks at an alarmed looking, gentily dressed donkey.

Overkill, coming on too strong. The spark of attraction, trying to get attention in the wrong way. Defending ones honor or self, a clash of ideas.
Flower meaning "retaliation". Plant's a biennial, flowers in the second year... summer I think. Pushy plant = pushy people

Ange

The donkey to me looks a bit shocked.....s if he's saying..."aghh"...has he just been poked with the thorn that she is holding?

And there are a lot of spikes on her....she's even holding one in each hand as if to jab at unsuspecting passers by.

Body language is that he is initially leaning towards her, not expecting to be poked with the thorn...but her's is one of a boxer....one hand poking the other ready to follow suit...hips tilted towards the donkey but upper body ready to shoot forwards.

It looks like she is saying "come any nearer and I'll get you"....so does she feel under threat, or is it the donkey who is being bullied by her and her hand held spikes?

Just seen his had held up as if to say "no....don't hurt me"....so I think it's the donkey that feels threatened.

The keyword on the base of the card is Threat....so looking at the keywoed and the picture I'd say a danger of some kind...being threatened or bullied.

Ang x

Barbaras Ahajusts

Firmly rooted believes. Not believing in anyone, no trust. Everyone is out to hurt. Defenses are high.
Relax, the jackass isn't physically dangerous, just watch out for him. He can be conceited but it's more about him, than her.
Being overly cautious is good, but can keep one alienated from everyone.

Words can hurt like hell, just like her leaves. Watch how you speak; & how others speak to you. Stay on one's toes.

Barbara

.traveller.

What do you think about that strategically placed key and floral fob at the donkey's groin? The flower looks like a fuchsia blossom (flower meaning "confiding love, taste").

Barbaras Ahajusts

.traveller. said:
What do you think about that strategically placed key and floral fob at the donkey's groin? The flower looks like a fuchsia blossom (flower meaning "confiding love, taste").

LOL. You know, I missed that, but blame it on him being so conceited. He thinks he has what she wants & needs. He might even be the one who gets pasts the poking Miss Thistle! ("I can bring you to heights you have never known, my beautiful Thistle Beauty!):laugh:

But she isn't ready for his pretty words. She might not feel she is a beauty. With his braying defense, I can't say I blame her. She may have known him in a previous life!:D

Barbara

.traveller.

This was mentioned in the book, I believe,

"The botanical name is derived from the Greek words onos (donkey), perdo (to consume), and acanthos (thorn), meaning 'thorny plant eaten by donkeys'."

...although this particular reference came from Wikipedia.

So we have a conceited, well-to-do donkey making a play for the divine Miss Thistle... but she knows what he's about!

Barbaras Ahajusts said:
("I can bring you to heights you have never known, my beautiful Thistle Beauty!) :laugh:
That's perfect! :D
past life... deja vue, we've been here before :D

Barbaras Ahajusts

.traveller. said:
This was mentioned in the book, I believe,
"The botanical name is derived from the Greek words onos (donkey), perdo (to consume), and acanthos (thorn), meaning 'thorny plant eaten by donkeys'."
...although this particular reference came from Wikipedia.
So we have a conceited, well-to-do donkey making a play for the divine Miss Thistle... but she knows what he's about!
That's perfect! :D
past life... deja vue, we've been here before :D

LOL!
I have know quite a few that have "eaten" me up & made me think I needed it to boot! :laugh:
And all of them deserved the tingles they got from my thorns as they ATE/Devoured me!
ROTFLMAO!:D:D:D

Barbara

Sophie

This must be one of my favourites of the whole set!

Donkeys eat thistles...ergo she has to defend herself if she is not to be consumed. Or maybe she's holding out for a stallion :D

In any case, this is a prickly lady. Perhaps only the stubbornness of donkeys can ever overcome that kind of person. He won't give up till he's had his nibble - even though he'll take care of how he goes about it.