Completionism

emmsma

I am not a completionist. Can't afford it. I do, however have several subcollections going.

Egyptian, LS decks, Mini's, Lenormands, Gypsy/Sibilla decks.

I'm wanting Etteillas now too.

Oh yes, Tarot de Marseille.

Madame Squee

emmsma said:
I am not a completionist. Can't afford it. I do, however have several subcollections going.

Egyptian, LS decks, Mini's, Lenormands, Gypsy/Sibilla decks.

I'm wanting Etteillas now too.

Oh yes, Tarot de Marseille.
Hey, emmsma, have you been to tarobearslair.com? They have the "Tarot Egyptiene, Grand Jeu de Oracle des Dames, Method d' Etteilla" (Editions Dusserre), as well as several yummy Marseille decks -- including 2 miniatures. Mmmm... miniatures... }) xox

Madame Squee

I think I'm a completionist -- I have to have a back-up copy of every deck I enjoy reading with, which sometimes means I need to have three in case I'm tempted to sell/trade one. :bugeyed: I spend a lot of time looking for these things... :p

Rasa

I am not much of a completionist.... not intentionally anyways, but there are some historical decks that I wouldn't mind acquiring the same one in different editions of from different publishers.. does that count?

For example, I have the Il Meneghello large-size Visconti, and I fondle my fiance's LoS Visconti with the dreamy gold foil nearly enough to pretend that it's my own, and I now have a LoS Mini Visconti on order.
but.. they are all different.. not the same deck at all!
I don't feel any burning need to acquire any more Viscontis after that.

I also have a few TdM variants, and would like more... but they really are different decks, too. They just look similar.. I can say that I am not a completionist, because I can say that I don't want ALL of them.. I just want MORE.

And I own about 5 different RWS.... 1971 USGames from when it still had Pam's handwritten titles and wasn't plasticy laminated, the 'Orginal RWS' because the colors were nicer, the PCS Centenial set- I really only got this one for the book about PCS, a Giant RWS which was a gift and is useful for pointing at things while teaching, and an unliscensed Chinese knockoff of the RWS because it was only $1 in a dollar store. Oh, and the glow in the dark majors, but they don't count because they were a gift.
I really don't want any more RWS but it seems almost kind of unavoidable..
unless you count the Illuminated-- I have a large irridescent, but now I would really like a medium sparkly AND irredescent one.
And I suppose a vintage Albano-Waite would be nice, too...
*sigh* I guess I am doomed to just keep on accumulating RWS derivatives..

Also,
rwcarter said:
I have the Elemental, the Runic and the Sun Signs (? It's an oracle). I've flirted with the Mystic Meg, but haven't gone down that road yet. Maybe I don't need to
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.. I think that everyone needs the Mystic Meg (presuming they can get it at a reasonable price)... the majors and the courts are absolutely lovely (if you like Caroline Smith's art style), and though the minors are simple, I think they're quite pleasant to look at... in fact, my favorite thing about the entire deck is the suit of birds (swords/air)... they remind me of old-timey-tattoo-sparrows. So charming!

HOLMES

hmm

i would of thought you were a virgo like myself but you were born in may.
perhaps you got some hidden strong virgo in your horoscrope though ?
edited to add
to rwcarter

rwcarter

HOLMES said:
i would of thought you were a virgo like myself but you were born in may.
perhaps you got some hidden strong virgo in your horoscrope though ?
edited to add
to rwcarter
Only just saw this. I have 3 planets in Virgo and 4 in Taurus.

Rodney

rwcarter

So, I think I've found the cure to my completionism - Thoth editions. I mean no disrespect to the deck, its creators, its publishers or its aficionados, but that way madness lies! The large and small white box editions are enough to send a serious completionist into apoplexy! There's Weiser, Llewellyn, US Games, the gold box USA printed Llewellyn and the gold box Hong Kong printed Llewellyn. (If there's any more I don't want to know about them!) :D

I have three copies of the US Games version of the small white box with three versions of the Magus. Each box is different and trying to figure out a timeline for them would surely turn my hair gray before I ever figured it out.

This completionist has met his match in Thoth white box editions.... :(

Rodney

nisaba

rwcarter said:
Only just saw this. I have 3 planets in Virgo and 4 in Taurus.
Re this and the Thoth: I just wanted to comfort you. You poor little sausage - I know what that's like. I'm a Virgo-Taurus blend myself. Being perfect is a blessing and a curse.

And did I say a page or two ago that I had a mere eight sub-collections of decks plus a sub-collection of sub-collections?

I lied. My profile (under the list of decks I own) identifies thirteen. Yep, I'm a completionist.

Le Fanu

rwcarter said:
So, I think I've found the cure to my completionism - Thoth editions. I mean no disrespect to the deck, its creators, its publishers or its aficionados, but that way madness lies! The large and small white box editions are enough to send a serious completionist into apoplexy! There's Weiser, Llewellyn, US Games, the gold box USA printed Llewellyn and the gold box Hong Kong printed Llewellyn. (If there's any more I don't want to know about them!) :D

I have three copies of the US Games version of the small white box with three versions of the Magus. Each box is different and trying to figure out a timeline for them would surely turn my hair gray before I ever figured it out.

This completionist has met his match in Thoth white box editions.... :(

Rodney
Oh I don't feel defeated at all by the Thoth. In fact, I find it quite a challenge; I don't think I have every single variation of every single edition of Thoth out there but I have 19 (must keep my eye open for 1 more!) and that includes a few repetitions of editions. For example, the Green 2 of Disks Box 2 was published by Weiser & then - more recently - US games. The purple box 3 Magus deck came out with a few different box designs (so I have repetitions of those.) I feel as though I have more or less kept on top of the Thoths, As & Bs etc. I think every Thoth devotee owes it to him/herself to get a few varying shades of greenie green-ness...

The fact that it only came out for the first time in 1969 (so recent!) makes things easier. The RWS has virtually a 60 year headstart...

JSNYC

rwcarter said:
I'm on a quest to get all three back patterns of the original Mythic Tarot (my first deck). I think the New Mythic is an abomination, but the Completionist in me will make me buy it as soon as I find it at a decent price.
This sounds precisely like something I would do! (Although, after some time of convincing myself there could be some value in the abomination. :laugh: )

emmsma said:
This seemed like a fairly common position, so I thought I would present the opposite. I am certainly a completionist, or at least have strong completionist tendencies. ;) Since I know that, one of the first things I did when I started learning Tarot was to put hard limits on how many I could buy, including a lifetime limit (which I am close to reaching). Of course, I know I will surpass that limit in my lifetime... it is simply the strongest limit I could use, the one that would hold the longest. I wanted to avoid having a room full of decks (and related paraphernalia!) that I never do anything with (other than say I own them), which I definitely would have the propensity to do.

ETA:
It is in areas like this that my even stronger rational, utilitarian disposition is... useful. :D