Using one tarot deck only

Thoughtful

l started this thread 2 years ago and have read through it again with much interest. It's taken that 2 years and many forays into different decks to finally be able to say l have the one deck that satisfies my reading abilities, one that always teaches me something new, one l never get fed up or feel jaded with.
It's been a lovely journey seeing and reading with so many inspiring, funny, quirky, beautiful tarot decks. Now l feel like a traveller who has seen the world and finally found what matters in my life, to having that coming home feel. Now l have a contentment and a peace about no longer feeling the urge to buy, buy, buy, (oh happy credit card!) still interested though to take a peek at new decks.
When l first started this thread l was a little in awe that my friends could keep faithful to one deck. Time has elapsed and that one special deck entered my life more by accident then design, l certainly was not on the look out for any particular type of tarot, l was more like a kid in the proverbial sweetshop ooooh what shall l choose next.
l totally understand those of you who have small or large collections of tarot and how you like to read with different decks. l see the buzz in that, especially when you are first starting out.
l have my one deck now that l would not, poor as l am, part with for any sum of money. The more l use it the more the energy builds, l can look at the same cards when l do readings for people, yet it will tell me something new and meaningful for that particular client. This is probably also helped by the using of one deck and building up gradually one's inner intuition and partnership with it. This deck has never let me down, never goes off the boil as has happened with other decks. l don't know why it happened but l could read with a deck for a time then it would just fall flat and stare at me, most off putting.
Anyhow just thought l would share my little journey with you.
One deck only is not for everyone and as we say, each to their own :)

dryadintheelm

I am currently reading off of just one deck (just finished cutting away bird nibble damage so it's somewhat smaller now). I don't have tons of them, but that's only because I have a limited income. I have several, and many crystals. However, I got a feeling last year that it was time to narrow down. I've been slowly paring down all of my items and packing them away, I want to get to know a handful of my things more intimately, therefore I only have out three decks (but one to use, a Rider Waite for reference, and a deck that's special to me just in case I need it) and one wooden salad bowl with a few palmstones (range of my most frequent needs) for meditation. I also have my pendulum and a small crystal ball. Everything else is not only in a box, the box is heavily taped shut to discourage opening. I plan on doing this for a year or two, hoping to find deeper meanings and a feeling of closer intimacy with the things that I am the most drawn to. I'll say though, it took months of careful selection to get this handful of items.

I did it to my books too. Except for what's on my Nook and my journals or sketchbooks, it's all packed away. This is time for intuition mostly, though in joining this forum I'll also be browsing other people's impressions. Not a book-learning year, or however long this lesson lasts. When it ends, I've got about four boxes of things to open, it will be like Christmas. I'm looking forward to finding out after developing strong intimacy with one deck, what it will feel like then to bring out others.

velvetina

which deck did you settle with, Thoughtful?

I can't say that I only use one deck, because that simply wouldn't be true, but I certainly do have my preferences and my desire to acquire more decks isn't motivated by a search for 'The One'. I'm just interested in Tarot cards!

Thoughtful

In answer to your question velvetina l use the Roots of Asia, in fact l have two decks, one German edition, one English version. The German came first then l was lucky enough to acquire the Engish. Not only do l love the gentle images but l love the size and the cardstock. It all adds to my overall pleasure in using this Tarot, l cannot fault it.

Morwenna

I gave up looking for "the One" a long time ago; I buy decks now for the artwork, really, or sometimes the theme. But I do try to get to know my newest ones. And I do swap them around. But I don't swap that many around, in fact I'll tend to use one or two per season except when trying out something new. And there are a handful I consider my workhorses, any season.

I do know a few people who stick with one or a very small number of decks, and in a way I admire them, because they seem so comfortable with that. But I just like variety. And I'm not so much a reader anymore as a studier.

Actually, the image of a longtime reader who uses the same battered deck for decades on end is rather appealing. It's what my grandparents' generation would have done.

Madame Squee

Thank you for this wonderful thread, Thoughtful. Using one tarot deck only has been my goal for about 10 years now.

That sounds like a very weak-willed statement, but it's true -- I am a quitter.

I probably quit smoking at least twice a year for 25 years before it stuck 24 years ago. The major breakthrough occurred when I finally absorbed the concept that I could always start smoking again if not smoking stopped working out for me. (I can still remember the exact moment when that sunk in.) As it turned out, not smoking worked better than smoking in every possible way imaginable, so I've stayed a quitter.

This morning, I am trying grasp the concept that I can always go back to collecting more tarot decks whenever not acquiring them stops working out for me. Along that line, I really appreciate Myrrha's suggestions for other activities. I'm looking forward to having the time to do them. Acquiring more tarot decks is a time-consuming affair. (So was smoking.)

Have you tried some other activities with the deck that will help you get to know it even if a reading seems like a task?

One that works well is to play sorting games. Go through the deck and pick out all the cards that have flowers in the image, all the cards where people have antlers, all the cards where there are birds or people with wings. Divide the deck into four piles according to how much you like each image etc. etc. little kids love to sort things it is a way to make connections.

Just interacting with the deck will remind you of the things you like about it.

You could also pick one card a day and start a thread in the daily draws section.

Nothing wrong with deck monogamy... I love to try out new decks though and I'm discovering that fresh imagery helps a lot for me as I read the actual imagery as well as the concept or set "meaning" of the card and try to let the card say something personalized in response to a question.

ETA: There's also nothing wrong with collecting tarot decks. In my case, it hasn't work out. It feels like a compulsion that is not good for me. I most likely will have to quit collecting several more times before it sticks, but I think I'm on the right track. I need to stop collecting in order to focus on sorting through what I've already got and coming up with a core collection.

Thoughtful

[/QUOTE]Morwenna;4276108]I gave up looking for "the One" a long time ago[/QUOTE]

This is the funny thing with me l actually wasn't looking for the One, l just wanted a deck that would read well and l could be comfortable with, hence the many decks l bought. After a while these decks although readable l seem to loose interest in them or they in their turn would just not talk to me.

[/QUOTE]Actually, the image of a longtime reader who uses the same battered deck for decades on end is rather appealing. It's what my grandparents' generation would have done.[/QUOTE]

Well l am now of that age :laugh: so could be this happens at a later stage in life when one settles more easily into the comfort and cosiness of a well loved deck. My deck is looking as fresh as when l received it the cardstock is sublime and takes no amount of shuffling. l think l will be long gone into a more spiritual home before this deck gets even slightly battered. l know what you mean though its like handling a well worn book or looking at a much loved old photograph.

Thoughtful

Using one tarot deck only has been my goal for about 10 years now.

That sounds like a very weak-willed statement, but it's true -- I am a quitter.

The deck will find you when you least expect as was the case with me. l do not agree you are a quitter, you have achieved the no smoking state :thumbsup:

There's also nothing wrong with collecting tarot decks. In my case, it hasn't work out. It feels like a compulsion that is not good for me. I most likely will have to quit collecting several more times before it sticks, but I think I'm on the right track. I need to stop collecting in order to focus on sorting through what I've already got and coming up with a core collection.

l agree there is nothing wrong in collecting tarot decks and many here have a huge collection. Its only unhealthy if someone is spending out on the latest decks when money is very tight or if one feels they must have the latest addition that comes on the market just because. That can become an addiction like smoking, spending 24/7 in the gym or imbibing just that last one drink. If l were a dedicated collector and had the financial means, well why not, it can be a good hobby.
l hope you manage to have a good sort out and find your core collection, you will find treasures you had forgotten about l bet :)