How do you pronounce "tarot" aloud? (simplified poll)

Which of these most closely represents how pronounce the word "tarot" when speaking?

• Emphasis on FIRST syllable, with SILENT T (something like TA-ro)

Votes: 69 72.6%
  • Emphasis on FIRST syllable, with a T sound at the end (something like TA-rot)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Emphasis on SECOND syllable, with SILENT T (something like ta-RO)

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Emphasis on SECOND syllable, with a T sound at the end (something like ta-ROT)

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

rachelcat

I'm a number 1. I'm sure it should have the accent on the last syllable, and many of my (Washington, DC) tarot society friends do pronounce it that way.

It's a quirk of mine to accent the first syllable of things. My son cringes every time I say TEEve for television. And the metro stop where I transfer every day is L'Enfant Plaza. Which I find myself pronouncing LONfont, even though I know it should be more like laFON. (Although some of the train operators pronounce it elePHANT!)

Catmoon

Speaking Portuguese I always say ta-RO, but even when I write in English I think of it as TA-ro. And Brazilians who also speak portuguese but with a different accent do it too. They even write "tarô" no T and emphasys on second syllable. Voted #3
Quoting Serenia:
"I like this simplified poll - it makes things so much easier to understand! "
I feel exactly the same as she does.
Edited to add:
It's more like tah-RO as I was watching a video that emphasized the second syllable but withn a muted "A" and we here open the "A". We use a "A" like in "apple"!

Morwenna

#1.

But in French, there really isn't an accent on a particular syllable, I've been given to believe. It's just that English speakers, on hearing a French speaker giving equal weight to the second syllable of a word, translate what they're hearing into the main stress.

Padma

#1.

But in French, there really isn't an accent on a particular syllable, I've been given to believe. It's just that English speakers, on hearing a French speaker giving equal weight to the second syllable of a word, translate what they're hearing into the main stress.

um...well, in Canadian French, at any rate, the emphasis is on the first syllable, actually...

Mab

For me, it's Tarot, like arrow. Typical Brit pronunciation of an originally French word. It seems odd if I hear anyone pronounce the last T....

Barleywine

For me, it's Tarot, like arrow. Typical Brit pronunciation of an originally French word. It seems odd if I hear anyone pronounce the last T....

This is the most concise comparison I've seen here. I doubt that even those who say SPAH-ro say AH-ro. But I could be wrong.

gregory

YES ! I thought this delightfully simplified poll was dealing only with the stress and the final letter - vowel sounds are so TOTALLY mutable - I agree - arrow :) BUT - I know people who say ERRow, and AIRow....

Morwenna

um...well, in Canadian French, at any rate, the emphasis is on the first syllable, actually...

My working knowledge of Canadian French, unfortunately, is limited to songs. It's been too many decades since I've heard my mother or her sibs say anything in prose in French. But I know it differs quite a bit from Parisian, which is supposedly what they teach in American schools. (Or at least it used to, the countryfolk speech at least.)