Swapping decks?

ldiddy

Good morning. I'm new to tarot and have several decks I am using for my daily draws or readings (almost exclusively "reading" for myself). As I make the draws, I record the cards and their positions in my tarot journal then write my own interpretation of the meanings of the cards individually and within the spread.

I'm wondering if I am not getting a strong message from a card, for example this morning the 10 of pentacles from RWS, can I pull the same card from another deck I have and meditate on it?

At a gut level, it feels a little disrespectful to deck in use, but as someone just learning tarot, I think it could help me better understand the cards. I'm inclined to listen to my intuition and maybe consult a book instead.

So, just thought I would put it out there.... Thanks!

AJ

Once in a while I draw a blank. I'll google the card to see 'the same but different' and it kick starts my brain again.
Once I've squeezed what I can from the card, if I'm still thinking I've missed something important or obvious I'll go to my blog and pull up all the 10 of swords or whatever card on there and see what I've written over the years.

Some members have lots of decks because they are collectors along with using the decks. I'm not a collector but I value the variety of decks I own for the variety they portray.

The deck you are using won't get jealous if you use another deck.

The one problem I do see if you are pulling one more card to 'clairfy' the card, again and again, (from the same deck) the result can be utterly confusing. Continue on your course, you are doing fine. We can't take in all the history and symbology in one gulp, our brains would explode.

Welcome to AT, enjoy the journey

dryadintheelm

I'd say two things about this. For one, different decks have different feels to them, and (in my opinion) the message of the tarot isn't just about the formal and traditional associations behind each card. The message on a different deck will be somewhat different, sometimes slightly and sometimes much different. Still within the range of that card's meanings, but a different perspective on that range can sometimes be pretty huge.

I've pulled cards from other deck to compare the two, but focus on the first card as your primary source of meaning. I'd say see your lack of clarity as a challenge. Pull out as many comparison cards and meditate on as many as you choose, but make sure the first card is still available as the card that actually guides the lesson, and be sure to include it in your meditations.

Then again, for the other thing, it could be that your intuition is telling you the message lays in a different deck.

velvetina

I do that all the time! If I get a new deck, I'm invariably comparing it to the others & when I do a reading I cross-reference all the time!

for instance, I usually use the Thoth or Marseille for readings, but when I look at the 9 of Discs or Coins (for example) I'll be thinking of all the other 9 of Pentacles/earth/stones etc I've seen & the meaning I select is the one that seems most appropriate.

I think it really helps develop ones own meanings by seeing how others have chosen to interpret a card.

After all, its an art, like poetry or cooking, it's not a science! (in my opinion)

ldiddy

Funny thing... I was poking around in 365 Tarot Spreads (a sample I downloaded to my Kindle) and Ms. Graham had a blurb on 10 of Pentacles (as a card reflecting bloodlines, ancestors and family roots) which fit in PERFECTLY with the question I had asked for my reading. RWS deck has really been spot on for me so far, I just have to keep looking if the answer doesn't jump out and smack me upside the head.

Thanks and blessings to all, as usual.