Beginner's spread

Teheuti

It's actually easier to read for other people when they give you a very specific and concrete question.

andybc

The first spread I learnt was the Grand Tableau. It was the only spread I knew for quite some time, actually. This is the case for most Lenormand readers learning before 1990s. So it's far from 'beyond' a beginner.

When I authored my course the consensus was that the GT was not the first thing a beginner should learn. It was 'overwhelming'. Since that time, I have changed my opinion. I think the GT is the spread that students should learn with and supplement this with smaller deals.

Before this I do agree they cards' meanings should be learnt and the concept behind proximity and attendance ie how A - B is different to B - A and how if they are near or far also changes that.

The tableau is the spread the Petit Lenormand was designed for. It's the spread that shows the cards off fully and displays the principles of proximity and attendance, which you need to master to fully exploit the pack.

Daily draws help only when you're comfortable with the pack. You need to know the cards' meanings well enough to dilute them into the 'daily' spectrum. Lines of five, seven and nine rely on you being able to contextualise the cards' meanings into the question. That is done only by knowing what the cards' mean.

Donnaleigh's videos are good especially when one has read Caitlin Matthews or Rana George's books. If you've not read them you'll find Malkiel better.

Teheuti

What Andy just said!

While Lenormand can be used for shorter spreads, and exercises involving paired combos and shorter readings can be helpful, Lenormand really shines and makes the most sense in the Grand Tableau! You can start by focusing on what is directly around the Significator and a particular topic (for instance looking mainly at what surrounds the money or the relationship cards).

As to meanings, I've 'collected' them for a long time - both from what's come up in readings and what others have suggested. But, what I keep coming back to are the original c.1846 meanings as they are the ones that seem to consistently give the truest and most to-the-point interpretations without all the modern suppositions that we tend to add on (not that those can't be true, too - it's just easier to get off base with them).