Inner-self Spread

psychicbody

"Inner Self" being the working title, I have based this spread on Carl Jung's dream archetypes. Having needed at least one original spread for the deck I want to make, I wrote this lay-out last night and would be interested in hearing how it might work for others who use it. It is not meant to be an accurate portrayal of Jung's work, or is meant to completely reflect my final product.
I am happy with how this works, but in the future may decide to add another position or two, to add more complexity and connectivity between lay outs.

The Inner Self
A spread designed to analyse people, specificly. One may shape the meanings to suit situations, however. Readings with this included may relate to any kind of relationship, or simply be used as a general guide to getting to the bottom of things.

[6][4][5]
|[2]|[3]|
|||[1]|||
[8]|||[7]

1. Divine Child
This represents the person/situation, as they truely are. Simmiler in meaning as The Fool, this symbol may represent potential.
2. Anima
This represents the intuitive and creative aspects of the person, or situation; one may deduce how a person percieves the World. The symbol represents the feminine aspects of the psyche, that are nurturing and accepting. The "mother" that shelters the Divine Child, keeping it safe, but also hiding the truth of the outside world.
3. Animus
This represents expression, charisma and how one manipulates what they are given. The symbol represents the masculine qualities, that make up our intellect and ability to transform what we are given. The "father" of the Divine Child, who directs its behaviour, so that it can be prepaired for the rest of its life.
4. Persona
This is how the person or situation "wants" to appear to others. What we see on the surface may not actually reflect the goings on, of the inner being: how it is percived, how it acts and what it impresses upon us. The Persona is the mask that the Divine Child wears, to conceal their true nature.
5. The Trickster
As we become more specific, this position represents one's motives in life. This archetype typically represents obsticals, so this position can represent how the person is influenced: by their own ideals, or by others with such qualities.
Firey cards, for example, would indicate someone who is impulsive, while watery cards may indicate someone who is gullable.
6. The Shadow
Everything that can be seen casts a shadow. When one looks upon the masks others wear, the shadow behind them remains hidden from that gaze. So, this position represents all that the Persona does not want anyone to know; and all they desire not to be.
7. The Hero
Should the Divine Child be redeemed, it must remove the mask and confront its shadow. This position may represent solutions to over-coming difficulties. This is the hopes and dreams that the Mother and Father have for their Child. Relate this to the Trickster, in terms of creative solutions to complex issues.
8. Spirit
The Spirit position is the most auspicious. It represents the possible outcome of a given situation; and can be attributed to the direction that experience take the person. One may interpret this as "outside help," in a situation, that leads to a desired outcome.

Flavio

Great spread in the right hands...

Psychicbody read for me this spread, he was VERY accurated, I'll post the reading in the "Readings Exchange" section. I think Psychicbody reading skills deserve public recognition, thank you very much!

ADDED: Here is the link to the reading

augursWell

I like this layout,the position concepts seem very useful.

I guess it's one of my things but I always seem to end up wanting to rearrange some of the spreads I see here on the forums. I mean, shouldn't "Hero" and "Spirit" be at the top of the spread along with "Persona"? And "Shadow" and "Trickster" down at the bottom?

Maybe something like:

|[7]|[8]|
|||[4]|||
|[2]|[3]|
|||[1]|||
|[5]|[6]|

Have you come up with any more positions to add to this spread? I'm still thinking about this one.

psychicbody

The lower three cards represent aspects that are more associated with the Higher Self and this are not readily visible to other people. The upper three represent aspects more associated with the Ego, which is visible to all. And of course, the middle represent the intellect, which oversees all activity.
These positions are just abstract representations of things that go on, both internally and externally, so their positions is not as important, as long as the relation to eachother (in their group) is displayed.

This layout is unique, because not only does it display a picture of the mind, but each position can be read in relation to another. For example, the Persona and the Trickster may indicate just what kind of mood someone displays and how well they interact with others.
I notice that the Child, Persona and Shadow may be contrasted: this will show you how that person has "learned" to deal with what life has brought them. During one reading a friend had the High Priestess in the Persona and the Moon (inverted) on the Child - this told me that the person keeps up a "front" of sophistication and and mystery, but really covers their hidden pains, which is a typical defence wheh someone is systematicly abused.

Thanks for the comments! Cant wait to hear how this has helped you ;)

augursWell

Well the positions are important, as you explained the relation to each other is what is key to this spread. I think your further explanation makes it much clearer for me. The positions make sense now. :)

I'll have to see what I come up with in a reading...

psychicbody

If someone is not familiar with this aspect of psychology, then the spread may seem a bit aloof and that person might not be able to use it to its full advantage.
Hope you will post your interesting reads with this and let us know how it worked for you.

Rhian

I did a reading with this today to try and gain insight into a friend of mine, to see if I could understand why we were having a problem. The results were very accurate given what I already know about him, and have helped me so much to see his motivations and the reasons for his recent behaviour - and to see what I needed to do to help the situation. (I'm happy to say it's now completely rectified.)

Thank you for this interesting spread, psychicbody! :) I've written it out in my tarot journal and will certainly be using it again.

bladeraven

Is this a good spread for just trying to understand someone or could it also be used for self-analysis as well as to...are there hidden aspects one isn't aware of oneself and can be used to do some introspective searching??

psychicbody

bladeraven said:
Is this a good spread for just trying to understand someone or could it also be used for self-analysis as well as to...are there hidden aspects one isn't aware of oneself and can be used to do some introspective searching??
That is a perfect use, actually.

psychicbody

Just wanted to mention that my spread has been accepted for publication in Tarot Reflections, at the American Tarot Association, in their November 2005 issue! The article is quite long in comparison to the explaination here, but is more in-depth and enjoyable.
The link to the article will probably replace the first post in this thread, which is why I had not updated it, to reflect the recent draft of my article.