The Masque Tarot - My Second Tarot Deck

WillieHewes

Very nice. What part of the colours aren't you happy with? Perhaps you could make her wings a little brighter, set them apart more clearly from her dress. For the rest, I wouldn't change a thing. It's beautiful.

Willie

blue_fusion

WillieHewes said:
What part of the colours aren't you happy with?

i don't know. it just doesn't feel 100 percent right. it has that fairy thing going (not to say that thats not good), which may not be as unified with the other cards in my deck as i want it to be.

thanks for the suggestion though. i'll try it. :)

kayne

I like it a lot! Especially the people shapes coming from the pitcher. The colours are great, perhaps you could define the wings from the dress more by showing the bottom edge of them? Just a suggestion, but really, I like it as it is... :)

Strega

blue_fusion20 said:
thanks for the complement! :) i'm just curious, what did you expect that i'd create for the temperanc card, as i'd really like to hear feedback on my deck? :)
I don't know... a lighter color for the robes perhaps? (But that's just me... :D)

Strega

Love the Judgement card! Especially the pitcher pouring souls. :)

Demonesse

Commentary

I've been to your website (it doesn't load easily) and I think your work is gorgeous; Maiden's allusion to Van Gogh is apt, especially his Starry Night. Don't change the High Priestess, although your second rendition of her is technically very competent, especially the curled wind-tossed hair - I feel the first, masked one is more compelling. I think Judgement is the loveliest of them all, followed closely by the Hierophant and High Priestess. Perhaps instead of just showing the females posing 'artistically' in many of the cards, you could set the figures in more interesting angles and motions, and different backdrops like deserts or jungles.

However, I have a few brickbats. The male in the Lovers card looks terribly stiff to me and contrasts with the rest of the card, which isn't as outstanding as the others in the first place - and Death, though made poignant by the baby in her arms, looks to me like...a pretender to Death's throne, if you know what I mean -the facial expression is not compelling, as Death should be. The Wheel of Fortune is similarly unremarkable.

But then again, it's your sweat and blood, and you know what's best for yourself. Good luck in getting it published.

blue_fusion

Re: Commentary

thanks for your comments i will answer them to the best that i can...

Demonesse said:
Don't change the High Priestess, although your second rendition of her is technically very competent, especially the curled wind-tossed hair - I feel the first, masked one is more compelling.
i think you may have confused my high priestess with the justice card i'm also making. :)

Demonesse said:
However, I have a few brickbats. The male in the Lovers card looks terribly stiff to me and contrasts with the rest of the card, which isn't as outstanding as the others in the first place - and Death, though made poignant by the baby in her arms, looks to me like...a pretender to Death's throne, if you know what I mean -the facial expression is not compelling, as Death should be. The Wheel of Fortune is similarly unremarkable.

well, this shows my lack of formal training. for one thing, i am not very adept at drawing male figures. as for the death card, i wanted her not to have any expression (perhaps symbolizing death's impartiality). the wheel card, was influenced by the moirae (fates) so there's one to cut, the other to measure, and the last weaves the whole tapestry herlself. to add a "wheel" effect to it, i used primary colors for the three main figures (red, yellow, and blue) to form a color wheel...LOL

anyways, thanks for the comments they have been quite constructive, and i shall keep themin mind when i apply finishing touches to a hopefully more complete deck. :)

Demonesse

Ah. My mistake. I think your justice is technically beautiful but perhaps not so evocative of the card's meaning, she looks more like a potential temptress to me.

As for the Fates, perhaps you could show them in the "act of determining" someone's fate, or attempt to portray their attitude towards fate and mortality in general. And I notice most of your figures are face-on and full-body (or at least until the lower torso). This, I feel, is a bit repetitive and takes away some of the impact of the figures- maybe you could try, for example with the Death card, portraying in more sombre colours a side-angled close up of Death, with her large eyes staring out.

* I find that my computer will not load the phoenix-looking male and the temperance card, no matter how many times I reboot. Care to offer a remedy? And perhaps if you have the time you could give an extreme close-up of one card on your website so the shading and all is actually visible, I would find it rather interesting.

blue_fusion

Demonesse said:
Ah. My mistake. I think your justice is technically beautiful but perhaps not so evocative of the card's meaning, she looks more like a potential temptress to me.

As for the Fates, perhaps you could show them in the "act of determining" someone's fate, or attempt to portray their attitude towards fate and mortality in general. And I notice most of your figures are face-on and full-body (or at least until the lower torso). This, I feel, is a bit repetitive and takes away some of the impact of the figures- maybe you could try, for example with the Death card, portraying in more sombre colours a side-angled close up of Death, with her large eyes staring out.

* I find that my computer will not load the phoenix-looking male and the temperance card, no matter how many times I reboot. Care to offer a remedy? And perhaps if you have the time you could give an extreme close-up of one card on your website so the shading and all is actually visible, I would find it rather interesting.

thank you again for your comments. :) i shall try to consider these when making adjustments to the cards and site. as for the bigger images, perhaps when i do get the time. of course, you'd understand if i don't feature the whole image, with piracy and all. as for the symbolisms and colors used in the cards, i shall offer lengthier explanations in the site, when i get some more time. :)

Zhritza

:eek:

These cards are like liquid stained glass. I am completely enraptured, so I'm afraid I can't currently give you any objective advice. ...wow.