Butterfly Oracle Cards For Life's Changes by Doreen Virtue???

DaughterOfDanu

Welp, DV's Butterfly Oracle is extremely disappointing. The butterflies are beautiful. The flowers are beautiful. The keywords are ludicrous. It seems to be geared towards older people with such titles as "Retirement", "New Exercise Program", "Adult Children" and "Parental Care". *bad words* Excuse me, but who needs oracle cards to tell them to care for their elderly parents or to plan for retirement. :mad: Grrr...... I need to find a way to replace these ridiculous keywords with my own. I feel like the images are too lovely to give up on.

Sigh.

Ugh that's such a shame. I'm in my mid 20s...that won't mesh with me at all and I'm afraid I won't have much I can go off of just on pictures of butterflies. I'd give it to a friend but I can't see any of mine benefitting from a deck like this, even friends who are older than myself..

How many are there that are that specific? Maybe I can salvage it by removing those cards.

This deck could have had potential.

desertrat

No, TreeLeafe, you likely wouldn't mesh with this deck at all.

Let's see, the most aggravating cards for me are:
Adult children
Body changes
Dietary change
Family changes
Gracefully aging
Health-care change
Grief work
Hobbies
Memories
Moving (the guidebook actually specifies a change in residence)
New exercise program
Parental care
Retirement
Self-employment (this card is instructing you to quit your job and be self employed ?!)
Volunteer

So that is 15 out of 44 cards that seem rather useless.

Have DV guidebooks have become more annoying over the years, or am I just growing more particular? Seems like there's a lot more preaching about diet and "detoxing". I rarely bother reading them any longer.

Remember, TreeLeafe, you can always return the deck unopened for a refund. :)

DaughterOfDanu

No, TreeLeafe, you likely wouldn't mesh with this deck at all.

Let's see, the most aggravating cards for me are:
Adult children
Body changes
Dietary change
Family changes
Gracefully aging
Health-care change
Grief work
Hobbies
Memories
Moving (the guidebook actually specifies a change in residence)
New exercise program
Parental care
Retirement
Self-employment (this card is instructing you to quit your job and be self employed ?!)
Volunteer

So that is 15 out of 44 cards that seem rather useless.

Have DV guidebooks have become more annoying over the years, or am I just growing more particular? Seems like there's a lot more preaching about diet and "detoxing". I rarely bother reading them any longer.

Remember, TreeLeafe, you can always return the deck unopened for a refund. :)

Wow. Thats awfully disappointing! I've never been one to bash DV. I always knew her decks were not for everyone and even some of them I didn't quite care for but this is a new low for her. It doesn't seem well thought out and more like she's trying to increase sales rather than develop a deck for life changes. Oh well. It'll be a while before I buy one of her decks again.

I just tried to get a refund and apparently it would cost as much as the deck to do so. So I'm stuck with it! :(

DaughterOfDanu

Ok so I've looked through the deck. The artwork is so beautiful but wow how limiting these cards are.

I've chosen to remove the following cards
Body Changes
Dietary Change
Family Changes
Adult Children
Health-Care Change
New Exercise Program
New Career
Self Employment
Sobriety
Parental Care

I've also removed the following but may add them back in as I may be able to have them work for those who aren't in the age group this deck was marketed for.
Retirement (Might be able to view the card as a sign to "retire" from something)
Gracefully Aging (This card could represent something getting better with time)
Volunteer (I may use this card as a message to speak up and take an opportunity)

It's a nice deck visually but removing as many cards as I did and how focused this deck is on changes for older people kinda ruins the beauty of the artwork. Not to mention I caught the same image reused three times (Sobriety, Parental Care, Hobbies).

So I'll probably pull this deck out on the rare occasion, but in hindsight it's not worth purchasing.

desertrat

in hindsight it's not worth purchasing.

I agree, although I do love the pictures. I'm considering taking some correction tape to the keywords and substituting more useful titles. I didn't notice the reused images. Boo. :(

Belinda2

Ok so I've looked through the deck. The artwork is so beautiful but wow how limiting these cards are.

I've chosen to remove the following cards
Body Changes
Dietary Change
Family Changes
Adult Children
Health-Care Change
New Exercise Program
New Career
Self Employment
Sobriety
Parental Care

I've also removed the following but may add them back in as I may be able to have them work for those who aren't in the age group this deck was marketed for.
Retirement (Might be able to view the card as a sign to "retire" from something)
Gracefully Aging (This card could represent something getting better with time)
Volunteer (I may use this card as a message to speak up and take an opportunity)

It's a nice deck visually but removing as many cards as I did and how focused this deck is on changes for older people kinda ruins the beauty of the artwork. Not to mention I caught the same image reused three times (Sobriety, Parental Care, Hobbies).

So I'll probably pull this deck out on the rare occasion, but in hindsight it's not worth purchasing.
well I an older lady but I am not interested in many of those areas so I almost bought it but I did not.
If you are interested in a butterfly oracles check out Butterfly Visions oracle deck by Jeri Totten Designs
while they are more costly they seem like a good deck.

Belinda2

The only other Butterfly oracle on the Market is Butterfly Affirmations by Alana Fairchild with the affirmations on the back of the cards,nothing on the front of the cards themselves ( I like cards that have the statement on the front of the cards).

urbandryad

I have this oracle and the keywords are really weird. I was thinking of trimming this deck just to have the butterfly images. It wouldn't be much of an oracle without keywords. Or maybe I could paint my own keywords overtop of them? (Sorry to revive an old topic, it was the first that came up!)

Glass Owl

I have this oracle and the keywords are really weird. I was thinking of trimming this deck just to have the butterfly images. It wouldn't be much of an oracle without keywords. Or maybe I could paint my own keywords overtop of them? (Sorry to revive an old topic, it was the first that came up!)
I too find a lot of the keywords too limiting and not very relatable. What I have done is taken some of the cards out of rotation - I didn't throw them out, I just put them in the back. And for some cards I try to use expanded or open meanings.

Miss Divine

I never was interested in purchasing this deck. After reading this thread I'm glad I didn't! :)