Medieval faire fortune teller

Graymalkin

Hey guys!

So, my friend who is the president of the Republican club at my college just asked me if I could be the fortune teller there. I agreed because I have had a lot of experience doing tarot, but I have never down so on such a large scale. This will be our college's very first Medieval faire and I'm just curious if there is anything I should do to prepare for it? I am pretty confident in my readings because i haven't had a someone yet who told me I was way off, but is there any advice I should know before the big day? I am going to practice each day until then and make sure they are ready before I use them.

It'll only be for a couple of hours and I will give 10 mins per reading, and I get to set up my own space. Whatever advice anyone is willing to give will be appreciated.

GryffinSong

I have a friend who used to read at medieval fairs. If you can, look into appropriate gypsy or medieval costuming from that time period. And if you have a medieval deck all the better. People like atmosphere in such a situation, so setting up a nice table (perhaps round) with a colorful cloth, some stones or a crystal ball, candles ... anything you can think of to set the mood. Folks at medieval festivals are looking for ambiance and fun. Keep it light and fun, look the part, and you'll do fine. :)

Have fun!!!

nisaba

This thread reminded me of a poem written about a Tarot stall at a Fair, written by our very own Kwaw:

FATE AND A DATE, WITH BRATWURST

They arrive at the fair early morning,
servants' of Fortune of Wagnerian proportions:
blond and brunette in a Volkswagen camper
tight white dresses and long scarlet scarves.

They pitch next to a stand grilling bratwurst,
where appetite would ensure passing trade:
led by the nose on the lead of a whiff
to two ladies who would read you your fate.

In their medieval like tent, striped red and white,
they set up table and chairs and, with due ceremony,
unwrap books of Thoth from newspaper dated
the first of the first nineteen seventy.

There they settle waiting like two goddesses
in bulging bodices, with Thoth at the ready
to read you your fate; Time passes by reading
the New Year Day news nineteen seventy

then disperses on a breathe of grilled bratwurst.
But yet it remains, when the fair is all over,
coupled with the trace of a faint aroma;
of the call of the barkers, laughter of lovers

and the sigh of a scribe.​

Graymalkin

GryffinSong said:
I have a friend who used to read at medieval fairs. If you can, look into appropriate gypsy or medieval costuming from that time period. And if you have a medieval deck all the better. People like atmosphere in such a situation, so setting up a nice table (perhaps round) with a colorful cloth, some stones or a crystal ball, candles ... anything you can think of to set the mood. Folks at medieval festivals are looking for ambiance and fun. Keep it light and fun, look the part, and you'll do fine. :)

Have fun!!!

Thanks for the insight! I will be wearing my own ceremonial clothing ( a long red sari skirt with a matching red top) and will be providing most of my own equipment. I asked my friend if i can bring incense and i'll see what she says. apparently this *may* or may not be indoors, but I told her if it's possible I would like it outside. and I may be using my rider-waite deck. also I'll have my smaller cauldron for tips! 8>

and nisaba, I love that poem!

nisaba

Kwaw and I are both members of a poetry website, where members can set up contests on set topics for other poets to enter.

The very lovely Le Fanu dropped two lines into a conversation that day:

"today's date is 01/01/1970" and " the two ladies setting up their Thoth booth next to the grilled Bratwurst stall...",

and I thought they'd make terrific triggers for poetic creativity, so I set up a contest.

Kwaw's effort, reproduced above in full, has his usual delicacy of touch - he's an amazing man and an amazing writer. All of the poems plus my brief for the contest, can be seen here.

(This isn't ENTIRELY off-topic - all of the poems in the contest show different views of fairs and readers at fairs.)

Major Tom

Aim to drink two litres of water.

I am the fortune teller at the fair or fete or festival. There are photos if you know where to look. ;)

The most useful thing to know is prices:

£1 Your soul card OR one card and a message.
£5 A single question.
£10 A good look at your life.

"Major Tom knows all. Sees all. Tells some." :laugh:

Graymalkin

nisaba said:
Kwaw and I are both members of a poetry website, where members can set up contests on set topics for other poets to enter.

The very lovely Le Fanu dropped two lines into a conversation that day:

"today's date is 01/01/1970" and " the two ladies setting up their Thoth booth next to the grilled Bratwurst stall...",

and I thought they'd make terrific triggers for poetic creativity, so I set up a contest.

Kwaw's effort, reproduced above in full, has his usual delicacy of touch - he's an amazing man and an amazing writer. All of the poems plus my brief for the contest, can be seen here.

(This isn't ENTIRELY off-topic - all of the poems in the contest show different views of fairs and readers at fairs.)

My comp II teacher might be interested in this, if he already hasn't heard of it. I am actually involved in a couple of contests at my school, for short stories. I would like to write more poetry but I never known how to do it :(

Graymalkin

Major Tom said:

I am the fortune teller at the fair or fete or festival. There are photos if you know where to look. ;)

The most useful thing to know is prices:

£1 Your soul card OR one card and a message.
£5 A single question.
£10 A good look at your life.

I just told her that I'll be accepting tips since I heard from another reader that in order to charge a fee you need a fortune teller's license. and my dad thinks that if I do charge the school might want a cut in it.

I need to come up with a slogan i think :p

Sinduction

My biggest thing, when I do big events, is that I tend to lose my voice so I have to have lozenges. I don't normally speak a lot so doing reading after reading does something to my vocal chords. Also, take breaks when you need them.

Relax and have fun! :D

Morwenna

Major Tom said:

:D One of my friends at home uses that same line!

Heed what he says about water. Also have some solid food, not heavy food but what your body needs for times of exertion. Believe it or not, it is exertion! Have a good healthy breakfast (not heavy) beforehand too. You don't want to be logy, you want nutrition for your focusing capacity.

I used to read at renfairs too.