Tarot Power

Barleywine

Learning to read tarot is a journey, it's like learning a new language because tarot is just that, a language that uses symbols that we interpret.. You can pick up some basics quickly but to get fluent, to get good takes years of immersing yourself in it.. If you want something that's quick to learn and get proficient at then tarot isn't it.

I can vouch for the "journey" analogy. I've been at it since the early 1970s, and I like to say that I still learn something new about the interaction between the cards and the querent ever time I engage a sitter in the act of reading. There really are no "pat" answers.

SaskMick

It will. Years. All of us here would say we are still learning, I think you'll find. Something new comes up every day. I'm not aware of your odd abilities - I doubt if they are any different from those each of us has, to be honest.

I discovered I could dowse with a pendulum when someone else was holding it... This led me to experiment more and look into what makes it work. I found that it works ( it being the ideomotor effect ) on expectation, that is if you expect the rods to cross they will. That led me to further experiment and found that I got the same result without a pendulum..... I then stretched string line across the ground and got various people to walk over it while I was facing the other way, the target was the line on the ground. When the rods crossed I would shout stop ! and turn around. Not knowing when they will cross the line I can get it spot on every time, I know exactly when they are on top of it. ( intuition ? ). I have discovered that some other people can do the same, roughly one in 10.

I also know when dowsing where to find water without using the rods, I just know where it is.. I have found underground running water for several people.

Is that the same as you are talking about ?

It's the ideomotor effect that makes the rods cross, but the effect alone is not an indication of accuracy. It does have other uses, it's great for scaring the Jehovah's Witness away .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uam8AOpflGQ

SaskMick

It might take you some time to get there. It sounds like he has a wonderful bond with his cards. I'm sure that it took him quite a while to build it.

I really don't want for you to set high expectations (such as "I will read like him within a month/year/whatnot") and then be disappointed because your own unique voice hasn't yet come out.

His mother taught him when he was a child, he was born with a caul, if you know what a caul is ?

I considered learning for years, but it never felt the right time until now.

Barleywine

Complicated way of saying it :joke: but I agree with the Jabberwock. I have no interest in predictive tarot.

Just be glad I take to Lewis Carroll and not James Joyce or William Burroughs! :)

Tanga

His mother taught him when he was a child, he was born with a caul, if you know what a caul is ?

Ahh - a Caulbearer. I'm sure there are some fabulous superstitions etc. about what that might mean for the bearer. I don't know what those are though. I'll have to google...
If he was taught Tarot in childhood - he's been honing his skills for a VERY long time. Luck thing to be taught then. :)

Re: Dowsing:
There are interesting ideas about how dowsing works - including the function of the more "primitive" senses from the hind or "lizard" brain - and electromagnetic fields.

If you expect the rods to cross they will - yes... but after you've "programmed" these responses into you (cross for yes and split apart for no, for example) - how then do you pick up where the yes and no are exactly?
Fascinating stuff.

One can extend it to using no tools at all. As you say you just "know". (the tools are the medium that helps one express whatever that sense is).
Evidently you are an excellent dowser. :)
Whether it will speed your Tarot proficiency - I cannot say. No idea.
Maybe ask in the Divination section if any other dowsers have found that it helps them get the hang of Tarot stuff quicker...?

My friend has recently discovered swaying. Forward for yes and backwards for no.
Much handier in front of the shelves at the supermarket when she wants to find out what's best for her to eat
(lots of allergies etc.). Lol. As people do get nervous when they see you fiddling about with gadgets.
Shop assistants can throw you out for that sort of thing. :joke:

I was taught - "the stick test" rubbing the tips of two fingers together. They stick for yes and don't for no.
Mind you - I'm not a very accurate dowser. :) Depends what I'm dowsing for and how detached I can make myself.

I remember watching a Lady in South Africa dowse for diamonds by holding one over a map and tapping it systematically until she "felt" the spots where diamonds would be.

SaskMick

Divinational value - what you can get out of a reading. The whole value of the thing.

if you don't predict future events where's the value ?

SaskMick

Ahh - a Caulbearer. I'm sure there are some fabulous superstitions etc. about what that might mean for the bearer. I don't know what those are though. I'll have to google...
If he was taught Tarot in childhood - he's been honing his skills for a VERY long time. Luck thing to be taught then. :)

Re: Dowsing:
There are interesting ideas about how dowsing works - including the function of the more "primitive" senses from the hind or "lizard" brain - and electromagnetic fields.

If you expect the rods to cross they will - yes... but after you've "programmed" these responses into you (cross for yes and split apart for no, for example) - how then do you pick up where the yes and no are exactly?
Fascinating stuff.

One can extend it to using no tools at all. As you say you just "know". (the tools are the medium that helps one express whatever that sense is).
Evidently you are an excellent dowser. :)
Whether it will speed your Tarot proficiency - I cannot say. No idea.
Maybe ask in the Divination section if any other dowsers have found that it helps them get the hang of Tarot stuff quicker...?

My friend has recently discovered swaying. Forward for yes and backwards for no.
Much handier in front of the shelves at the supermarket when she wants to find out what's best for her to eat
(lots of allergies etc.). Lol. As people do get nervous when they see you fiddling about with gadgets.
Shop assistants can throw you out for that sort of thing. :joke:

I was taught - "the stick test" rubbing the tips of two fingers together. They stick for yes and don't for no.
Mind you - I'm not a very accurate dowser. :) Depends what I'm dowsing for and how detached I can make myself.

I remember watching a Lady in South Africa dowse for diamonds by holding one over a map and tapping it systematically until she "felt" the spots where diamonds would be.

A Caul is often confused with a piece of placenta stuck on the baby's head but it's actually quite different.... It's a skin mask over the baby's face with loops that go around the ears... He was obviously very proud of it, he once gave it to me to hold. :)

The rods will do what ever I want them to do, they will cross for yes and split apart for know if I want, or do the opposite if that's what I want. But that is NOT dowsing, it's only the ideomotor effect. The ideomotor effect works on expectation , or when you Know. True dowsing is when the rods react when you are not expecting them to. You really need to put yourself into a mild trance to get them to work.

Bob told me that what he tapped into when reading the cards was what he called the force. He said there are several ways to tap into it, and dowsing rods is one of those ways.

SaskMick

I think a few of us have already underlined the value of Tarot aside from Prediction. :)

Sorry for being thick but I just don't get it.

Sulis

What has dowsing got to do with reading Tarot? Whilst all these explanations of dowsing are very interesting, we are supposed to be discussing tarot here.