Where did Waite get these meanings?

ravenest

Well I've I thought heavy, I going to do Yep, I am, I used to be a good artist, yes I had a stroke, yes I lost fine motor skills in my drawing hand, but I going to do it. My drawings may not be fabulouse like other artists have done tarot decks, but maybe it may help my fine motor skills to draw again. So yep, I am doing it.

The Picatrix Tarot, yep I think thats a great idea for me, to do, please let me do this, should it turn out lame, the you may take my idea, but for now let me give it ago.

Thanks

La Force

:) You need no permission from us ... go for it (unless you are bound by oaths from an archaic Order whose secrets are already revealed ;) )

GO FOR IT :)

ravenest

This thread seems to have meandered beyond the realms of consciousness .... he has 'reservations' on what he can reveal due to oaths ...

I thought we dealt with this a lot earlier on, in simpler non-Waite language ? The answer .... see previous posts .

Richard

Is this a new one with additions changes / format or is it a copy of the old one that used to be up?

Anyway .... <snaffle .... store >
The copyright on this one is 2005.

ravenest

Okay ... I thought he removed it or it went offline or something as a book was coming out ?

La Force

Neither the Golden Dawn nor Waite follows the Picatrix exactly. Does the Grail Tarot follow the Picatrix? I never thought to check that out.

However, I don't see where Waite deviates from the Golden Dawn decans in the Pips. I thought I went over all 36 of them very carefully. Did I miss something?

To answer your first question, I hope you understand, John Matthews does follow the Picatrix, but the illustrated of the deck did actually quite a bit, the cards are the closet, from what I can see, I feel Giovanni Caselli illustration are pretty darn good to represent the Picatrix, Agrippas, and GD. IMO best closest match possible.

Answer second question, Waite, devaites from GD on some cards, not all, but some.
Yes you cover the 36 GD cards. I posted those pictures up to show that even GD deviates, changes the card means, to even have mis interpeted, mis applied meaning to the wrong cards. I posted that to show, and thank to

If you plan a deck based on decan imagery I highly recommend Scion's (aka: playwrighter Shawn Nacol) guide to the tarot deck Liber T - and also of course the deck Liber T Tarot of the Stars Eternal itself, the imagery of which makes use of decan imagery from several sources (the Picatrix, Agrippa, Bruno, Ibn ezra and Liber Hermetis). Scion's guide is online here:

http://files.meetup.com/151205/Scion's.pdf

This clearly shows how the cards meanings changed not say all of them, but some of them.

Like the 3 of Swords. That card was once a beautiful happy joyous card, then it got changed and the card, turned into the saddess card. :(

Same with the 4 of Swords, from evil deeds, gluttony, etc. To rest and relaxation.

Just sharing and making a point, which I hope will only be taken. So then its up to the individual whether they want to disreguard it and continue reading the Waite cards the way they have, or simply take a pencil and mark the correct card, put 3 on the 4 of swords, verse vica. Your swapping them. Same thing with the 6 of wands and the 7 of wand.

I goto get some sleep while I can, before my neighbor gets active.

Richard

.....As you will see Waite didn't follow the Picatrix, he didn't even follow GD. Now, there's something to think about......

So check it out :) It's an "Eye Opener".

I have attached these cards.

3 of Swords
4 of Swords (When you look at this card you will see a woman with a sword, in background)
7 of Cups
7 of Wands
7 of Swords

I think some of those are the wrong cards, and others are the wrong decan titles. Here are the Waite cards with the correct Golden Dawn titles. I double checked everything.

Yes, these do not necessarily agree with the Picatrix, but the Waite images and Golden Dawn titles agree for all 36 decans, as far as I can tell.

Attachments

• gddecans.jpg
    gddecans.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 186

Zephyros

Plus the Three of Swords isn't that bad, despite what it looks like. I asked a question about the Thoth card. In addition to the thread I linked to, Scion perhaps explained it best in another:

Scion said:
Gerald Suster has a lovely riff in his book on the Thoth about this card as the Lord of Sorrow: he points out that the 3 of Swords isn't about Suffering as in "waaaahhh I'm sad!" or "Rats I should've known he was cheating" but more an awareness of the price we pay to be alive. It is Suffering in the Mahayana sense: Suffering which always arises from Desire, the same Desire which is the underpinning of all Material Life. It's Suffering on a cosmic scale, global. The pain in Truth... I always see it as a reminder that part of being a conscious mind is accepting the pain that is a manifest part of living, not in a fatalistic sense, but in a gnostic sense. And in context it can be a beautiful positive uplifting card.

The cards are not influenced only by the decans, but but by the Tree of Life, in this case Binah.

La Force

I think some of those are the wrong cards, and others are the wrong decan titles. Here are the Waite cards with the correct Golden Dawn titles. I double checked everything.

Yes, these do not necessarily agree with the Picatrix, but the Waite images and Golden Dawn titles agree for all 36 decans, as far as I can tell.

The Pictures are Correct, none of the cards I posted up are wrong. The titles are not wrong, what part of this did you not understand?

I have taken the liberty to attach pictures, showing the Picatrix meanings From the book "Mystical Origins of the Tarot", I also added to the photos, images from the deck Giovanni Caselli did up for John Mathews The Grail Tarot. This is the only tarot deck that I can find, besides a Marseille deck, that actually depicts the correct images for the correct meaning of the cards. It is nice to have a Deck that depicts the correct images and meanings.

I have compiled and fixed the errors that were mention in the book, organized it for you to make it easier for understanding. This is just to get you warmed up.

As you will see Waite didn't follow the Picatrix, he didn't even follow GD. Now, there's something to think about......

Al I did was take pictures from the book "Mystical Origin of the Tarot", which clearly points it out, did you not read the text from the book?
Then I followed was was written in the book. That stated that GD mis applied the 3 of Swords with the 4 of Swords and vice versa, so I took the liberty to show you by taking a picture of the writtn text and put it on the correct card, as in the GD 4 of Swords meaning onto the 3 of Swords, then did the same for the 3 of Swords. Took picture of the GD 3 of Swords meaning onto the 4 of Swords.

Here I will quote from the book incase you didnt read the text in the photos I posted

"Remember, this Picatrix decan interpretation was misapplied by the Golden Dawn to the previous card, the Three of Swords."

" For the Four of Swords the Golden Dawn introduced the "quietness, ease, plenty, good life, and dance" of the second decan of Libra." (This is meaning the 3 of Swords.)

The I took pictures of the Grail Tarot, and added them to the pictures of the book, only to show that they match up pretty close, with the Picatrix meanings of the cards.

For the 7 of Wands I will quote again, in case you missed it.

"Remember, we have to view the attributions of the previous, second decan of Leo to understand the Golden Dawn's interpretation of this card" ( the is meaning goto the 6 of Wands.)

If you still dont understand buy the book. Then you will see where I am coming from. Note: I didnt not change or manipulate the written text. All I did was take pictures and put it together, to help people understand what I am trying to get across. Am I mis understood?

And yes Waite does deviate from GD on some cards, he will prefer Etteilla over GD. Look at the the 4 of Swords picture again, you will see that it is clearly stated. " Waite follows Etteilla Only". (meaning he does not follow the GD)

Again get the book you will see, It is all written about in detail in the book by Paul Huson.

If you dont agree with what he says thats fine.

kwaw

Okay ... I thought he removed it or it went offline or something as a book was coming out ?

I didn't know that - I've removed the link until I can clarify with Scion.

Richard

......And yes Waite does deviate from GD on some cards, he will prefer Etteilla over GD. Look at the the 4 of Swords picture again, you will see that it is clearly stated. " Waite follows Etteilla Only". (meaning he does not follow the GD)......
Please forget about Picatrix and Etteilla and Huson for just a wee moment, and just think about RWS and GD, nothing else.

In the attachment is a scan of the RWS 4 of Swords and a selection from Book T (Golden Dawn). The picture and the decan title agree, do they not?

Attachments

• 4ofswords.jpg
    4ofswords.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 199