Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

firemaiden

stefficus said:
it's good to know sex and coffee will cure anything that ails me.

...what? firemaiden said so! it can't hurt to try anyway. ;)
Don't forget sleep!

HarmonyWind

How does one use the sage as a tooth cleaner/whitener? Make a paste with it by mixing it with baking soda, or chew the leaves, or prepare it in some other way?

LadyKathryn

Red Emma said:
I seem to have come to a relentless plateau in my weight loss program, I hoped that the vinegar (apple cider type) would get me started again. I've taken two teaspoons a day in 16 oz of water (sipping, not chugging) for about two weeks without any success.

Are there further suggestions?

Emma first i LOVE your name.. it's one of my favorites!

Second i believe i read that you are in your eighties? If that is so... weight loss is sooooooooooo hard.

I am a personal trainer, and while it's not impossible to loose weight once you hit 60... its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much harder!

You need to keep your body guessing in regards to your workouts. switch it up.. use the eliptical...the treadmill and the bike all on different days. Also trying swimming laps if you can. it's low impact and great for all your joints...and allows for support in just about all ranges of motion.

Also you should be doing low weights until you are strong enough to do a slightly heavier weight. keep your reps to about 10.... joint wear and tear at your stage of life becomes a bigger issue... and it's easier to irritate your joints and cause dammage.

Also i HIGHLY reccomend STRETCHING!!! It helps you stay loose and keeps things flowing correctly...plus you just feel better after stretching... it's a mood booster....*i stretch my girlfriend out whenever she's in a crappy mood... wich is often... i call her my grumpy old man...anyway she's usually very tight and afterwards it helps her to feel more relaxed*

If you have any questions please feel free to PM... i'll do whatever i can..

LadyKathryn

i can't find liquid magnezium anywhere!!! :( and i'm too poor right now to order it online.

i'm trying pill form... will that work?

i also could only find 250 mg pills.. i just found 400mg online.

what is a safe dosage?

oh and i have been doing a lot of reading on mag.... it is used for bone loss prevention and helps gaurd against musle injuries... :) so even if my cough doesn't get better... i'm protecting myself as an athlete....sweet.

SerenityRider

When ever you feel run down and depleted i find taking a bath in a cup full of sea salt fixes me up it has a way of clearing your charkras, and i usually make it a pampering special time where i have candles in the back ground and my favorite music playing as well, you get out of the bath feeling wonderfully refreshed.
Mashed banana is great as a deep moisturizer leave it on for 15 min and then wash it off :) sounds crazy but it works.
For a exfoliate on your hands or feet a small hand full of sugar and add enough vegetable oil to just dampen the sugar and rub all over, then rinse off not only does it take off the dead skin but it leaves your skin soooooo soft afterward s. I did use it on my face once but it is to harsh i found.

LadyKathryn

For a exfoliate on your hands or feet a small hand full of sugar and add enough vegetable oil to just dampen the sugar and rub all over said:
Mix the sugar with WATER for your face... just enough to dampen it...but the water will start to disolve the sugar enough so it's not too harsh... rinse off with warm water.

sstack2

afrosaxon said:
Ginger is aces for nausea. You can even just steep a medium-sized piece of ginger root in hot water, sweeten to taste (if needed) and sip it. You can buy ginger root from farmers markets, international markets (especially if you live in an area with a significant immigrant population) or maybe even Whole Foods and the like.

T.

Ginger is also great to stop a headache. When you feel one coming on, just eat a piece of crystalized ginger or have a cup of ginger tea.

I have GERD, gastroparesis, and esophageal spasms. A cup of ginger tea every day keeps it all under control. It also helps control blood pressure. Ginger is great stuff!

floracove

Oh, great thread!
Lots of good info here...

I found this the other day in my inbox and have been trying to figure out where to put here at AT. Looks like this is the place.

Bananas:

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said the expression 'going bananas' is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eati ng a banan a. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make officia l c laims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were help ed through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly succe ssful at reduci ng swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magn esium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

Aloe vera is great and can help heal lots of things from burns to problem skin. The natural plant is the best, but those bottled products work as well.

Potatoes, can be scraped and put on burns to relieve the pain and help healing.

And you can use Sour Cream if you have no live culture yogurt to heal up from a yeast infection. (found this out on my own when there was no yogurt in the house, so it does work or at least it worked for me)

floracove

Hey Deb, bacon grease or any type of grease will kill the chiggers that are on you and make them stop itching.

You can also use clear nail polish to accomplish this as well, since this smothers them.

Chiggers are some of those creatures that help break down stuff so that it goes back into the earth, all they know is eat, eat, eat. So they do have a job to do, but they can do a job on you as well.

Debra said:
Does anyone have a natural insect repellent we can use on our skin instead of DEET?

There are chiggers in the woods behind the house. They are almost microscopic but boy, they know what they're doing. They drill little holes in your ankles, inject some hideous chemicals, and then go away. Four or five hours later, little blisters all over, itch like hell-- for a long time. Like, weeks.

The pharmacist and the internet both say (it must be true!) that the bugs don't live in the skin or lay eggs there.

I can live with the itching but it's prevention I'm worried about.

Silverlyn

My female tonic: for PMS/Cramps, hormone imbalances, Menopause symptoms, tension, nerves, etc...(PM me if you want more info on which one I use).

Safflower Oil: EXCELLENT for using on my legs immediately after shaving, to prevent me from itching them to bloody stumps, lol! Also great for putting a few drops on dry hair (ends or shaft). I also use it as a face moisturizer at night.

Jojoba Oil: EXCELLENT for dry hair, too!

Strong Probiotic: (I take one called Prodophilus. PM me if ya want info on it, too). I'm allergic to milk/dairy, and with this, I can now eat dairy here and there, not to mention it straightens out my digestive system, bladder, etc!

Soy Milk: ALSO incredible for tension, hormone imbalance, and insomnia! (yep, I drink a few gulps at bedtime, and I'm out)

Other remedies that help me:

Melatonin: (GODSEND for sleep and nighttension! Pair it with a bit of L-theanine and B6 for maximum absorption!). Schiff makes a really good one called 'Melatonin Plus' that would go to a deserted island with me!!!

Progesterone Cream: Also excellent for insomnia and night tension!!!

Magnesium: For those who can't find good Mag: Natural Calm makes good ones! Go to their website or any healthfood store. It's a powder and you mix it in hot water, works instantly for tension, insomnia, constipation, etc!

Tea Tree Oil: GREAT for many things.

Those are just a few great remedies I use and love.

Someone said to use peroxide on your toothbrush, do you use the one that comes in a dark brown bottle that you put on sores and cuts? Or must it food-grade? I need to whiten my teeth sooooo bad, and want natural ideas!!