Practical tips for developing non-existent psychic ability?

nara123

Hello, this thread may be helpful but psychic ability usually develops over years rather than wks I believe it's a pretty long haul for most. I would suggest exploring and practising all the different methods of divination because they're all meditative acts in themselves. You could also try exploring all the different styles of meditation until you find one you sit comfortably with perhaps walking meditation would suit you better if you're struggling or perhaps candle mediation or learning tai chi or yoga, group meditation is a fast track route.

I felt like you about meditation but something will click one day and you'll 'get it' if you persevere. What we're learning when we meditate is breath control which allows access to altered states - daydream states, think of the ballerina for example although any form of dance and movement can take us there. If we choose a static form then aligning the breath with the rhythm of a drum beat or music of your choice is key though some meditate in silence which takes me twice as long. Chanting, singing or recitation affects the rhythm of the breath which is why monks chant and we sing in church, playing a woodwind instrument will also get us there but each to their own, best of luck :)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=3898665&highlight=educational+post#post3898665

Very informative. Thank you. Especially the linked post. I agree that this ability if it doesn't come natural will take awhile to develop. I guess because there are so many people that say they are psychic or intuitive that it just seems like it easy to acquire. Its just as valid a skill as those who are geniuses in math, sports, art, etc. Some have it some really don't have it at that kind of level. In any case, thanks again for the encouragement, as I said before, I will probably stick to tarot, some scrying and I may branch out into some kind of art or writing as a means to tap intuition. Thanks again.

stonesatiety

nara123: Since you resonated with the passive awareness post, perhaps you may choose to expand this practice at some point? Years ago during a divorce, I started watching my thoughts, emotions and actions. I wanted to know why I became angry with people. who were not trying to anger me. This was fascinating exploration, but extremely difficult at times. As I observed, answers to my questions became apparent, which led to still more questions. In this way, I inadvertently used everyday life as a meditation. (I had no teachers and was totally turned off by religion, spirituality, New Age and all the hypocrisy and ignorance I saw.)

Almost thirty years later, I remain aware of my thoughts, emotions and actions. I never had to integrate my practice into life, because I was practicing with life. Bonus! Two books describe what I was doing, although I did not label thoughts and did not sit in meditation: Everyday Zen and Nothing Special, by Charlotte Joko Beck.

In my experience, the psychic stuff is not separate, but extentions of our usual ways of sensing life. Lately I've been sitting in meditation, any way my inner guidance suggests, which may change during a given meditation. I comply immediately, not because I must, but because compliance with inner guidance leads to a life just right for us.

I don't practice pychic skills because it happens 24/7. Yes, in dreams too! Awareness practice may reveal this to you. I love to play though, so I love Tarot and I intend to play on G's exchange when my path work lightens up a little. Why not have fun? Btw, stones are the superstars of psychic abilities. Happy trails.

nara123

nara123: Since you resonated with the passive awareness post, perhaps you may choose to expand this practice at some point? Years ago during a divorce, I started watching my thoughts, emotions and actions. I wanted to know why I became angry with people. who were not trying to anger me. This was fascinating exploration, but extremely difficult at times. As I observed, answers to my questions became apparent, which led to still more questions. In this way, I inadvertently used everyday life as a meditation. (I had no teachers and was totally turned off by religion, spirituality, New Age and all the hypocrisy and ignorance I saw.)

Almost thirty years later, I remain aware of my thoughts, emotions and actions. I never had to integrate my practice into life, because I was practicing with life. Bonus! Two books describe what I was doing, although I did not label thoughts and did not sit in meditation: Everyday Zen and Nothing Special, by Charlotte Joko Beck.

In my experience, the psychic stuff is not separate, but extentions of our usual ways of sensing life. Lately I've been sitting in meditation, any way my inner guidance suggests, which may change during a given meditation. I comply immediately, not because I must, but because compliance with inner guidance leads to a life just right for us.

I don't practice pychic skills because it happens 24/7. Yes, in dreams too! Awareness practice may reveal this to you. I love to play though, so I love Tarot and I intend to play on G's exchange when my path work lightens up a little. Why not have fun? Btw, stones are the superstars of psychic abilities. Happy trails.

Very interesting. It looks like you were practicing mindfulness, all this time, before it became a designated term with scientific evidence to back it up. Now it is a tool that is taught and used by laymen and professionals alike. Certainly zen is part of this whole meditation quarter as well as insight meditation. It appears you were ahead of the curve without having to consult with anyone, hence why you have been able to be in the intuitive zone all this time.

I am working on getting into that zone, and I like what you stated about paying attention and being aware of your own emotional and thinking states. Intrapersonal intelligence is an actual domain, and I would like to one day be at the level you are now- of conscious, meditative awareness.

In terms of stones, I think you are talking about crystals. if so, I have been slowly journeying with them as well. I have a leaden crystal ball, a quartz crystal ball and a selenite ball as meditative and focusing tools. The selenite has been interesting. I was initially attracted to the stone when I saw it in a shop. I liked is iridescence and looked up its meaning. It was written that it was meditative, calming stone. I thought it was great. I soon purchased the selenite ball that I liked and have been working with being with this ball. I have found the energy of the selenite to be very strong and overwhelming. When I try to meditate with it can be hard to hold for an extended period of time, and the energy is very remote--almost aristocratic. None of the soft, healing energy that I read about. I will continue to meditate with the stone, but it has been slow going.

stonesatiety

Hi nara123: Sorry about the delay. Lots going on right now.

One thing I did upon embarking on my continuing exploration of myself was to commit to becoming a "good man." This is a subjective term, but I understood what I meant. Looking back, I set my intention, which guided my inner work. Change is beyond our control, but we can "place our order" with whatever animates us. Then we are guided through experiences that lead to true growth and change.

If you keep at it--we all veer off into la la land many times an hour, if not per minute!--you'll look back one day and think: Wow! It's simple and ever so powerful. With greatly increased awareness, one can't help but notice the many inner cues that come constantly, what we may call psychic abilities. Have fun!

I meant any old stone, which includes crystals. When I get that aloof feeling from a stone it generally means I need to work with another stone for awhile. Selenite is powerfully clearing. Have you sat with your other two spheres? Jasper in some form might help you calm a bit.

Cenozoic

I believe that everyone uses a bit of their intuition during their lifetime. For instance, they'll suddenly get a thought to bring something (which is their intuition bubbling up), and then they'll have a split second decision to make; should I bring it? Most of the time they'll rationalize it away, saying that they don't need it, and then they'll go, only to realize a few hours later that "Ugh! I knew I should have brought it!" Well, to put it simply, that was their intuition kicking in. Should you have listened to this random thought, or should you have rationalize it away? That is your choice.

Most things you do, you'll think and rationalize it, and then come up with a solution. It doesn't feel comfortable to just trust the first thing you think of, because there is nothing concrete or solid about it. It is just something that is up in the air, and then you'll think that it's better to think deeply about it to make the correct decision.

But intuition is the opposite of that. It's the first thing that comes to you. But it doesn't only come in thoughts, but in other senses too. It will not feel comfortable saying or doing the first comes to mind, because you don't know if it's true or not, so naturally you will think you might be wrong, and will not trust it. But most of the time if you follow your first hunches, it's actually right, and overtime you can learn to trust it.

But using intuition (or a part of it), is just basically saying or doing what first comes to mind, without shrugging it off by rationalizing it away. That is why a lot of people recommend meditation, because it relaxes you, and then you're more likely to feel open to things you get from your intuition.

But what develops your psychic ability, is simply to look at "how" the information gets to you (which in other words, is being "aware" of it, and having "awareness").

If it comes across in visions then you'll be clairvoyant (clear-seeing).
If it is through hearing then you'll be clairaudient (clear-hearing).
If it's through feelings then you'll be clairsentient (clear-feeling).
If it's throug suddenly knowing things then you'll be claircognizant (clear-thinking).
If it's through taste then you'll be clairgustant (clear-tasting).
If it's through smells then you'll be clairalient (clear-smelling).

But most of the time, you'll have one main ability that seems most predominant, and then you'll have any mix of the other clairs that support it, kind of like a sub class.

I hope this helps :)

nara123

Hi nara123: Sorry about the delay. Lots going on right now.

One thing I did upon embarking on my continuing exploration of myself was to commit to becoming a "good man." This is a subjective term, but I understood what I meant. Looking back, I set my intention, which guided my inner work. Change is beyond our control, but we can "place our order" with whatever animates us. Then we are guided through experiences that lead to true growth and change.

If you keep at it--we all veer off into la la land many times an hour, if not per minute!--you'll look back one day and think: Wow! It's simple and ever so powerful. With greatly increased awareness, one can't help but notice the many inner cues that come constantly, what we may call psychic abilities. Have fun!

I meant any old stone, which includes crystals. When I get that aloof feeling from a stone it generally means I need to work with another stone for awhile. Selenite is powerfully clearing. Have you sat with your other two spheres? Jasper in some form might help you calm a bit.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I sincerely appreciate the advice, it makes a lot of sense that there has to be in some sense, a purification or intention of good will in order to obtain a sense of true and unpolluted awareness.

In terms of stones/crystals, I have obtained a couple of books from the library and will work on a stone cocktail that will aid me in meditation development. I will probably gift the selenite stone to an acquaintance eventually. Thanks again for your encouraging and practical advice. It makes sense to me and I appreciate it.

nara123

I believe that everyone uses a bit of their intuition during their lifetime. For instance, they'll suddenly get a thought to bring something (which is their intuition bubbling up), and then they'll have a split second decision to make; should I bring it? Most of the time they'll rationalize it away, saying that they don't need it, and then they'll go, only to realize a few hours later that "Ugh! I knew I should have brought it!" Well, to put it simply, that was their intuition kicking in. Should you have listened to this random thought, or should you have rationalize it away? That is your choice.

Most things you do, you'll think and rationalize it, and then come up with a solution. It doesn't feel comfortable to just trust the first thing you think of, because there is nothing concrete or solid about it. It is just something that is up in the air, and then you'll think that it's better to think deeply about it to make the correct decision.

But intuition is the opposite of that. It's the first thing that comes to you. But it doesn't only come in thoughts, but in other senses too. It will not feel comfortable saying or doing the first comes to mind, because you don't know if it's true or not, so naturally you will think you might be wrong, and will not trust it. But most of the time if you follow your first hunches, it's actually right, and overtime you can learn to trust it.

But using intuition (or a part of it), is just basically saying or doing what first comes to mind, without shrugging it off by rationalizing it away. That is why a lot of people recommend meditation, because it relaxes you, and then you're more likely to feel open to things you get from your intuition.

But what develops your psychic ability, is simply to look at "how" the information gets to you (which in other words, is being "aware" of it, and having "awareness").

If it's throug suddenly knowing things then you'll be claircognizant (clear-thinking).

But most of the time, you'll have one main ability that seems most predominant, and then you'll have any mix of the other clairs that support it, kind of like a sub class.

I hope this helps :)

Yes helpful. Still working on how to discern the information I do receive and meditation has helped. I think I probably have a combination of hearing, seeing, and feeling. But will one day figure out my main orientation. The Pete A Sanders book I got at the library was very helpful when organizing the clairs as well.

Thanks to all who responded to a resurrected thread. I sincerely appreciate all the great advice.

GotH

I was wondering what all the "Clairs" were. Thanks for posting them.. Let me see what I have...

I definitely get visions. All over the place but haven't become proficient nor confident at determining what they these visions mean. :neutral:

I rarely hear things but when I do they are very clear and usually smack me upside the head. :eek:

Is this empathetic type feeling? Then YES. Overly so but I thought I was just a "sensitive" Pisces. :rolleyes: Having this sometimes sucks majorly.

I thought this was just the state of being quick witted.

I don't have this one at all.

I have this one and it sometimes bugs the heck out of me because more often than not, I'm NOT smelling cookies fresh out of the oven or fields of flowers. :(

Makes sense!