The World and the 9 of Cups

.traveller.

What sort of things does this combo bring to mind? I was thinking "the achievement of desires with enough to share". These came up while doing my work with affirmations and I am having trouble wrapping my head around the concept that I can indeed have exactly what I want... which is the whole point of doing the affirmations.

rwcarter

When dealing with two cards, I usually take the first card as being primary and the second as being a modifier of the first card.

Elementally, you have an Earth card (World) and a Water card (9C). Earth and Water are friendly to one another and strengthen each other for better or worse. So the achievement of the World is strengthened by the wish fulfillment of the 9C.

But Earth and Water are also both passive elements. So I don't see any action towards the goal of the World, just sitting contentedly imagining what the fulfillment of the World will look like.

This seems to be in line with your statement that you're having trouble wrapping your head around the idea that you can have what you want. You're not contentedly imagining, but you're also not actively pursuing the fulfillment shown by the World.

Rodney

WalesWoman

World and 9 Cups... it sounds like you could have your cake and eat it too.

To me it sounds like you have reached a place where you want to be, spread the joy around.

.traveller.

WalesWoman said:
World and 9 Cups... it sounds like you could have your cake and eat it too.

To me it sounds like you have reached a place where you want to be, spread the joy around.

That's kind of how I was looking at it, as in "It's right there! Open your big brown eyes and SEE it!"

.traveller.

rwcarter said:
When dealing with two cards, I usually take the first card as being primary and the second as being a modifier of the first card.

Elementally, you have an Earth card (World) and a Water card (9C). Earth and Water are friendly to one another and strengthen each other for better or worse. So the achievement of the World is strengthened by the wish fulfillment of the 9C.

But Earth and Water are also both passive elements. So I don't see any action towards the goal of the World, just sitting contentedly imagining what the fulfillment of the World will look like.

This seems to be in line with your statement that you're having trouble wrapping your head around the idea that you can have what you want. You're not contentedly imagining, but you're also not actively pursuing the fulfillment shown by the World.

Rodney

So how would this change in your view if, say, we added a third card like:

Queen of Swords -> World/9 of Cups, or
maybe 9 of Cups/World <-Knight of Wands

I think we are looking at this in a similar way.

ideely

rwcarter said:

Rodney

Brilliant.

In two card readings, I also see that one card modifies or qualifies the other. Usually, I see the Major Arcana card, if there is one, as the noun and the minor card as the adjective or adverb. When it is two minor arcana cards, I follow the order in which I turned them.

Thus, like Rodney, I would say that the World is available to you in all its fullness and the IX of Cups shows where you are in relationship to the World's completion. I often see Cups as related to the pursuit of spiritual or psychic development. From that view, the IX of Cups suggests that you are satisfied with your current level of accomplishment, that you have paused to consume, digest and enjoy the emotional and psychic attainments that you now posess. The World still waits.

rwcarter

.traveller. said:
So how would this change in your view if, say, we added a third card like:

Queen of Swords -> World/9 of Cups, or
maybe 9 of Cups/World <-Knight of Wands

I think we are looking at this in a similar way.
From an elemental standpoint, you have the QS representing Air followed by Earth and Water. Air and Earth are enemies, weakening one another. So I'd say something about the Queen (her overall demeanor, her sharp tongue, her penchant for being alone and/or in control) is having a negative effect on her ability to reach the fulfillment of the World.

With the KnW as Fire following Water and Earth, my view departs from the traditional Golden Dawn view of Elemental Dignities. In the GD tradition, the Water and Fire cards neutralize each other, leaving just the Earth card. That doesn't make sense to me, so I look at the interactions between the central card (Earth in this case) and each of the flanking cards (Water to the left and Fire to the right). Earth and Water are friendly so they strengthen each other as I've already discussed. Earth and Fire are neutral. (Another place I differ from the GD is that I don't automatically assume that neutral interactions are friendly. Neutral interactions can be neutral, friendly or unfriendly depending on the cards involved.) In the case of the World and the KnW, I prob would see the interaction as unfriendly because the hotheadedness and/or impatience of the Knight would be at odds with the "in due time" nature of the World. Although the Knight does bring action to the two passive cards, it's not the kind of action that moves the situation forward, if that makes sense.

Rodney