Tarot Book Creation (Tarot of the Absurd)

Barefoot Fool

Okay, so my deck is illustrated, self-published, and has garnered some small acclaim from some wonderful people who gather at these forums. Thank you!

My initial reason for illustrating a deck, however, was not to illustrate a deck: it was to write a book. I am first and foremost a writer. (Please excuse this long post.)

The book was, originally, a children’s story. However, instead of writing a book, I made a woodcut. It was much easier.

In the image, a boy pulls a girl by the hand. He points to a ladder which leads to the attic. In the attic, there is a trunk. Outside, umbrellas fall like rain.

It is the attic, the endless attic where all toys go when they are outgrown, where the works of years past are laid to wait for the minds of future generations. There, the treasures are endless.

When it rains out, the boy and the girl sneak into the attic, close the door, and open an old wooden trunk, origin of all adventure. In the trunk lie the treasures of the mind, for it is filled with papers— letters, photographs, journals, cards— papers covered in writing and images.

One rainy day, the boy picks out a small carved wooden box. A box within a box. He opens it. Inside are slips of paper. On each piece, writ with fine fountain-pen script, is a terse aphorism: a riddle.

The girl takes the one on top and reads it aloud. “…”

“A riddle,” says the boy. “But what could it mean?” He takes the next, reads it. “…”

“I wonder how many there are” says the girl. She dumps the papers and arranges them in a grid on the floor to count. “Twenty-two.”

And then I had to write the riddles. Which I did. You can see them (and enter a fine contest!) on my website.

http://barefootfool.com/origin-of-the-species-tarot-of-the-absurd/
http://barefootfool.com/tarot-riddles-tarot-of-the-absurd/

But the truth is, I knew nothing about what makes a tarot deck. I did 14 years of research. I illustrated a deck. But the book remains unwritten! Admittedly, the original concept will probably always remain thus.

My blog was meant to be brainstorming for my book. And then, as usual, life intervened. A sleepless baby. A sleepless toddler. And although I would love an occasional volunteer babysitter to allow me time to write, that is not really what I’m asking for here.

I’m asking, is a collection of poetry, personal essay, history and mythology to incohesive? There is a chapter for each card. (Or, there will be.) More than explaining the image, the chapters evoke my feeling for the meaning of the card. They are meant to trigger the reader into thinking about meanings of things.

And now I’m stuck. I guess I want to hear all kinds of things about tarot books. Like:
What don’t you need in a tarot book?
What annoys you most about your favorite tarot book?
Do I really need to tell you outright what the cards mean?

You can make up your own questions to answer. (Also, please.)

Mostly I would love it if you, any of you, could take a look at some blog entries and tell me if you think they would make good stand-alone chapters. There’s always editing, & I don’t need to hear, “you write well” (but thank you, if you might have said that), I really want to know if I am writing a book that people would be interested in reading and what else it needs for it to be cohesive.

Thank you so much for reading this long post.

Attachments

• 07 05 13_0908_edited-1.jpg
    07 05 13_0908_edited-1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 113

tarotbear

I used Createspace to self-publish my Tarot books and memoirs. I am about to start illustrating my children's book based on a short story I wrote last year. A books is a book; might be worth looking into!

SarahJoy

I don't think cohesiveness is necessary for this sort of project. For example, if one card had a poem, another card had a short story, another card had an essay on mythology -- that would be fine with me. It would feel like what the work is: a travelogue of your tarot studies.

I don't think traditional RWS meanings or explanations are necessary. I'm guessing that, for the most part, your deck buyers don't need or want it.

What I would, personally, like to see, is an explanation/exploration of why you (or any tarot artist) chose the elements that deviate from RWS standards. They may be obvious or obscure to the reader, depending on the reader and the symbol/image.

Debra

Hey there BarefootFool.
I love your riddles. I can solve most of them. "Most" is not all :(
The woodcut is wonderful. I like the composition, the choice of colors, the way the boy points up and the umbrellas float down. I'm a woodcut fan and this is a gem.

So to answer your question. Yes. I think you should do exactly what pleases you, and trust your creative impulses, because they're good and true, and you may have doubts but you also have high standards for your work and it serves you well.

Maybe it would help to think of it as your dream book rather than your tarot book.

tarotbear

Personally - write the book to please yourself first. Just write and write and write and have fun doing it. Remember - a lot of little things will pop back into your memory once you go past them, so be thankful that electronic storage is so forgiving!

You don't write a book to be the next Ernest Hemingway or Margaret Mitchell or to win 'The Coolest Book of the Month' award. Write the book to explore your journey, and have fun doing it! You will know when it is done.

Good Luck :D

MarkMcElroy

Hey, Barefoot Fool.

I've read about as many Tarot books as are out there, and have had the pleasure of publishing a few, including companion books for decks.

I see a lot of Tarot books relating histories (some wildly inaccurate, some accurate). A lot of them provide dictionaries of card meanings -- some borrowing heavily from others, some unique. A lot of them provide spreads.

But very few of those books tell the story of how the deck came to be: what inspired it, how it matured, what its secrets are. I think your core idea -- telling us the stories behind your illustrations, whether as tales or poems -- is a good one.

We have many sources of information about Tarot. The only place we can get your vision is from you. :)

A blessing on your efforts! Have a wonderful time writing the book.

SixDegrees

Just my two cents...

Back when the Tarot of the Absurd was still in development, I read your blog post about the Four of Wands and learning to draw a handshake. That sealed it for me; I was going to get this deck. I would love a book that has little stories like that on the development of each card. If you have those, it seems like you won't need explicit card meanings. The details of the stories will be the meanings.

JenWt43

But very few of those books tell the story of how the deck came to be: what inspired it, how it matured, what its secrets are. I think your core idea -- telling us the stories behind your illustrations, whether as tales or poems -- is a good one.

We have many sources of information about Tarot. The only place we can get your vision is from you. :)

I agree, I really enjoy reading about the creation of the deck, and the intent of the artist. :)

Barefoot Fool

To all: Thank you.
I promise to read this thread over and over to keep me going.
Because I really want to finish it, and I love writing.
I will bring the whole thing to completion.
I really like hearing what people like: it is encouraging.
I also like hearing what people don't like: it helps me focus.

Barefoot Fool

Hey there BarefootFool.
I love your riddles. I can solve most of them. "Most" is not all :(

I am open to the possibility that either
A) The questions are wrong
or
B) The way I see things is so extraordinarily different that no one could ever possibly get them all right. Because no one actually has yet.