The Saga of Dude!

NorthernTigress

That is such a great story.

I wish I had my own Dude!

BodhiSeed

Looking forward to hearing part 2: The Dude Saga Continues :D

Pagan X

Yes, we must have Dude stories. Can you take a tape recorder? Can we have Dude podcasts? I bet he has all kinds of interesting things to tell about how he reads cards, how he learned to read cards, never mind the value of all of us young'uns learning how to enjoy life as he does. Wouldn't be surprise d if getting messages from us to him in printouts aka letters would be appreciated too.

Intyale

What an amazing story. I can't wait to hear part two! I swear, you can find angels in the most unexpected places.

Healing blessings to your mother. Hope everything fares well.

Kathy24

Baroli that was such a heartwarming story, you're an angel in disguise. As a nursing home administrator for over 13 years I applaud you for being such a warm and generous person. In all my years of running nursing homes I have found that there are occasional angels that come and spend time with our residents out of the goodness of their hearts, even when they originally came in to see a family member. You rank right up there with the best of them! ((hugs)) :)

Kathy

PS: sending good thoughts and prayers to your mom for a speedy recovery!

Grizabella

I agree with you, Kathy. I had an adult foster care home and before that I was employed in them. It's really sad how abandoned a lot of people feel once they're in a facility. I've seen them mentally go downhill after awhile when nobody comes to visit them and that's so sad. The people who work there have their jobs to do so they don't have as much time as most of them would like to have to interact with the residents because the work has to get done. Families just seem to think if they're relative is being cared for by someone somewhere, then they've done their part and they let time just slide by without visiting.

I'm so glad you're getting involved, Baroli. Since the older generation wasn't so much into the "evil" cards, Dude probably feels more isolated than ever without anyone interested in them like he is.

Baroli

The worst is on Mother's Day or Father's Day. The regular holidays are somewhat better, but there are always some that their families forget they exist, unless its the reading of the will,....sorry that was crude.

siliconsara

unless its the reading of the will,....sorry that was crude.

It may be crude, but life is also crude, unfortunately. It's always nice to hear these stories, that there's hope for people (in general) after all. Top that "Chicken Soup"!

I always carry a Scarabeo mini deck with me in a black pouch, along with a few specific stones for props. The last unexpected reading I did was for my case worker. Even though I don't outwardly advertise about it, now and then it's nice to get that curious or excited person who finds out. You always get the right kind of sitters that way: word of mouth.

Like everyone else, I hope to hear part two of Dude. :)

mysticmonkey

Baroli said:
The worst is on Mother's Day or Father's Day. The regular holidays are somewhat better, but there are always some that their families forget they exist, unless its the reading of the will,....sorry that was crude.
Crude but true unfortunately. I used to work in a home and the most disgusting I saw was when a gentleman who had sadly past away that day and his family all came in and started fighting over who got the tv. Even if he didn't get on with them all that well there's a time and a place and that certainly was not the right time.

I enjoyed reading about Dude and I'm glad that you plan to give the deck to him, I think he'll appreciate it.

Grizabella

It's very true about the holidays. And I had people just outright say to me that if they paid our rates, all their mom or dad's money would be gone by the time they passed and there wouldn't be anything left to inherit. I was so shocked. We didn't charge anything outrageous and we supplied all the toiletries including makeup for the ladies and colognes and bath powders, plus we had five freezers full of food in addition anything and everything the people requested to eat.

This makes me feel like going and volunteering at our nursing home here.