Why have more than one deck?

Mellaenn

Well, compared to some here I am not a collector, but I do own almost 3 dozen decks. If I never use a deck, I usually try to trade it or give it away unless I just like how pretty it is.

I own different ones because they seem to suit different moods for me. For example, Bohemian Gothic = melodramatic, Osho Zen = meditative, Rider Waite Smith = study time (lots of tarot books refer to RWS). Sometimes I buy a new deck just to see the artwork. If I like it, I use it for readings.

I also go through phases. For months I only read with the Gilded. Then I switched between the Gilded and the Gendron. Now I haven't touched either one in weeks. I love that there is so much variety in the world of Tarot; who knew?

emmsma

Mellaenn said:
I also go through phases. For months I only read with the Gilded. Then I switched between the Gilded and the Gendron. Now I haven't touched either one in weeks. I love that there is so much variety in the world of Tarot; who knew?

Thats one of the best things about having a bunch. You get to fall in love, and honeymoon, with different decks all the time.

My one true love - is not actually a tarot - is the Mystisches Kipper. I can always read with it. But lately I am starting to explore TdM decks. The other day, I happily browsed through the Minchiate Etruria.

I always enjoy reading with the Faerie Tarot.

Every day is a different exploration!

Silverlyn

Sometimes I wonder why I have more than one or two decks, as well.

But like many here have said...they're just gorgeous to have around, you know? Fun to put side by side compare them, etc.

In my case tho: I'm starting to ONLY want to use mini/pocket or small-size decks, since I have VERY small hands and can just never shuffle nor handle any of my beloved full-size decks comfortably or skillfully.

So for now, I use my pocket Universal Waite (been really into that one since I bought it a few months back). Hanson-Roberts (which I have yet to really use, some of the cards are just tooo....cartoony faces, ugh! But I'tll grow on me soon..), my lusted-drooling Favole (even if their pips are unillustrated...), and my newly-trimmed Robin Wood (DAMN, I just love that deck, it's kinda like Druidcraft for me!). And speaking of, I've trimmed my Druidcraft, so now they are thinner and yet tall cards, so easier for me to handle, but haven't had the urge to use those much, yet.

Anyways: sorry to have rambled off like that! I guess having different decks makes for more variety of moods one's in.

firefrost

I tried having loads of decks for one reason and another, I was determined to have variety with my chosen reading materials but instead all I got with the majority of them was very cold feelings. I never got a honeymoon period scenario out of any of them! (Okay, perhaps one or two exceptions...)

My collection is now down to around a dozen, and I'm very happy reading with the chosen few.

LotusSong

I'm going to ramble for a bit, so just please excuse me...

I originally came across AT because I was on the lookout for "the one" deck. Although I loved reading my current deck, the flat colors and thick lines make the art unappealing to me. I scoured this site for a long time, dismissing decks as quickly as I could find scans of them. After about a month of off and on searching... I found my "one". By this time next week, it should be on its way to me.

Suddenly, I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I no longer find myself dismissing decks as easily as I did before. In fact, I now have a wish list going. The small factors are gone. Justice at VIII no longer bothers me as much as it did; in fact, two of the decks I'm looking at have that placement. I no longer find myself scrutinizing the Hierophant as much as I used to, or desperately trying to find scans of the Eight of Swords. I feel free to appreciate the art as... well... art.

That's why I want to own more than one deck; I have the freedom to do so.

Mariana

firefrost said:
But instead all I got with the majority of them was very cold feelings. I never got a honeymoon period scenario out of any of them!
Same here. I love looking through new decks, but that's just curiosity and I don't need to buy or keep them to do that. The decks that feel comfortable, like home, are few and far between...

WinterRose

canid said:
You will love the Robin Wood. This deck was 'it' for me for over 3 months, which is a record. I like having more decks, for different types of readings, for different moods, for just like the eye candy. For instance, the Gilded works well for me when contacting those in the spirit world. I recently traded the Pagen deck with Griz & I'm in love with it; really getting great results. I don't know if it's the imagery that jives with me, or what. I just love connecting with a deck on a personal level, finding new meanings just for me & that particular deck. Have fun!

Oh, I am! I was in love with the S-C when I got that, thinking it was so readable etc (and in truth, it still is), but it's nothing compared to the RW. The RW seems to go perfectly with me, and like you say I can connect with it on a more personal level.

nisaba

I remember we had a bit of fun discussing why some of us have more than one deck in this thread.

Lyrical

I have about 20 decks. I rotate them. I work with 2-3 at a time. I like having several decks for many reasons. I love the artwork and enjoy seeing how different artists realize Tarot symbolism and imagery. I also enjoy the concepts of the different decks. The Universal Goddess Tarot, for example, reads very differently from the Bohemian Gothic. The Vanessa reads differently than the Mythic, etc. Having several decks at my fingertips keeps my intuition sharp and helps me to avoid falling into a reading rut.

Having one deck or many is a personal choice. It will work for some and it won't work for others. If you're buying deck after deck and you aren't meeting your other important bills--then I see it as a problem. But other than that, I don't see any negatives, even if you only use a handful regularly.

There is something to be said for knowing a deck inside and out. You can own several decks and still have a couple that you know well, if you put the time and energy into focusing on them. It's really all about you and your personal reading goals.

gregory

ER - I don't actually know how many I have just now, as I am still tidying my catalogue - I am rather slow and careful now after the Débacle Of Last Year....

....but that tells you something. I keep track of them all, and make them line up nicely while they beg me to read with them and stuff...

Which is actually how it feels, sort of !