Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Skeptics Partners or other loved ones

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Talking Tarot


 
donnalee's Avatar
donnalee  donnalee is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 30 Jul 2014
Location: NYC/NJ, USA area sometimes
Posts: 1,210
donnalee 
Smile


Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest View Post
My advice is , do what you will ... what is this; 'he lets me do it' thing about ???
Ditto: a partner who controls actions has already started onto the list of "what abusive partners do". It worries me to hear that, as opposed to "he does his thing and I do mine and we may not like the other person's activities but we respect their right to have them" or similar.
Top   #21
Dara  Dara is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 25 Nov 2014
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 98
Dara 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnalee View Post
Ditto: a partner who controls actions has already started onto the list of "what abusive partners do". It worries me to hear that, as opposed to "he does his thing and I do mine and we may not like the other person's activities but we respect their right to have them" or similar.
I wanted to convey that he doesn't try to stop me from practicing tarot in any way. He's not controlling. We have a lot of different interests such as he likes to go to car shows and play slot games on his phone, which I don't care for. And I play Magic the Gathering and board games which he doesn't care for. lol Don't worry, I originally said this so that no one would think it is a controlling relationship, which I guess had the opposite effect.

I found this video informative as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcha_ILF4k8
Top   #22
MandMaud  MandMaud is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 22 May 2012
Location: Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 6,205
MandMaud 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
This exactly. There's another thread like this not so long ago - where the guy wasn't exactly contemptuous,. but laughed and asked for readings about silly things.
That IS contemptuous, I'd say.

Contempt - and the other killer is indifference. Hard to say which is worse. Open aggression is far simpler to deal with.

When I got into tarot, my ex took an interest - because it was a new thing in the house. He got so into it that he had to buy a deck and have a go. After an evening browsing he'd ordered two very lovely decks, both the deluxe version. He spent a few days unable to wait for them to arrive (kid before Christmas, anyone) and when they did none of us could interrupt him for whole evenings at a time. For about a week. He totally refused to discuss it with me after that; he refused to read about it or learn any meanings; he was doing it with his intuition because it came so naturally that he must have been born to it... (Maybe my opinion's showing through?) This lasted a little while, some weeks maybe. It felt as if "my" thing had been taken over and become "his" thing - couldn't be ours.

Just saying, there are worse things than your SO not wanting to know about it. Though I still miss having someone in the house with whom I can just chat about it, compare notes, compare ideas on cards and methods etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
When my mom first found out I did cards, she was really worried because she associated it with evil, Satanism and even suicide, for some reason. The other day I told her I'm going professional online and she offered to help me with marketing (which is what she does for her job). It's not like she's begging me for readings, but she knows that it's part of who I am and has been able to look past her fears to care for me as a person. This was totally unexpected with her. I know some people will never change, but I just wanted to say that a few do.
That is heartwarming! Sounds like she's a person capable of changing her views when she receives new "data" on the subject - pretty rare.

The suicide thing, I imagine, is because that's what cults do to people.
Top   #23
nisaba's Avatar
nisaba  nisaba is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: Proudly Australian
Posts: 61,796
nisaba 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara View Post
He lets me do it because it makes me happy.
He "lets" you? Does that mean you think he somehow has the power to stop you doing anything you want to do? Do you have the same kind of power over him?

How odd.

As I get older I'm less and less interested in what other people think. I certainly don't let it shape my life. If a partner doesn't like something so very much, they always know where the door is.
Top   #24
Miss Woo  Miss Woo is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 May 2014
Location: Here
Posts: 1,853
Miss Woo 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarotbear View Post
I sincerely hope that was sarcasm, empress_woo_woo !
No, it wasn't (and I think that would be a bit rude)

I'm only just discovering that some people think Tarot is evil. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, who I've known for *years*, and I was surprised to find out he's one of them. Fortunately, I was able to persuade him into thinking differently, and he now has a more neutral view.

To me Tarot is just a fun game*, and a beautiful work of art in some cases - how can it be evil? How weird. It must just be people projecting their own weird sh*t onto it.

Oh, I get it. They probably think it's like Ouija boards, and sťances and mediums, and stuff like that. I've never looked at it that way; it's always been a psychological/self-help tool for me, and I don't take the divination side seriously.

Yes, it isn't Tarot that's weird, it's people.

eta

*Sorry, I didn't mean to sound shallow; it's obviously more than just a game to me. I also see it as a tool that offers wisdom and advice.
Top   #25
nisaba's Avatar
nisaba  nisaba is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: Proudly Australian
Posts: 61,796
nisaba 

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress_woo_woo View Post
I'm only just discovering that some people think Tarot is evil. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, who I've known for *years*, and I was surprised to find out he's one of them. Fortunately, I was able to persuade him into thinking differently, and he now has a more neutral view.
...
They probably think it's like Ouija boards and sťances and mediums, and stuff like that.
So ... in your belief-system, are ouija boards, seances and mediumship evil?
Top   #26
Miss Woo  Miss Woo is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 23 May 2014
Location: Here
Posts: 1,853
Miss Woo 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisaba View Post
So ... in your belief-system, are ouija boards, seances and mediumship evil?
No I don't, but I'd say the general public do because of movies and the media etc.

And I'm not sure if I actually believe in the concept of evil; evil is a man-made construct.

eta

Sorry, I misread the wording of your question. I hope my answer makes sense

eta eta

Oh, I know what I meant... I meant that the general public probably look at it that way because of the media's (mis)representation of it.
Top   #27
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory
asked for readings about silly things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandMaud View Post
That IS contemptuous, I'd say.
I agree ... BUT ...

Errrmmm .... guys ....

people that believe in tarot wholeheartedly do that too !
Top   #28
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisaba View Post
He "lets" you? Does that mean you think he somehow has the power to stop you doing anything you want to do? Do you have the same kind of power over him?

How odd.

As I get older I'm less and less interested in what other people think. I certainly don't let it shape my life. If a partner doesn't like something so very much, they always know where the door is.
<nods vigorously>

and if they cant find it I will LET them know where it is
Top   #29
ravenest's Avatar
ravenest  ravenest is offline
ravenator
 
Join Date: 02 Feb 2006
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 13,835
ravenest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by empress_woo_woo View Post
No I don't, but I'd say the general public do because of movies and the media etc.

And I'm not sure if I actually believe in the concept of evil; evil is a man-made construct.

eta

Sorry, I misread the wording of your question. I hope my answer makes sense

eta eta

Oh, I know what I meant... I meant that the general public probably look at it that way because of the media's (mis)representation of it.
Yep ... prob.

All sorts of 'media'

http://www.theasc.com/blog/wp-conten.../05_GANTRY.jpg
Top   #30




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.