on NOT buying decks

Gulliver

I'm at the point of no buying new decks (maybe only backups). There is the feeling of satisfaction, so I had no problems to not buy new ones. All I could get from tarot is within the decks are already here. It's really simple for me.

Morwenna

I've slowed down on Tarot decks (I never was that heavily shopping for them in the first place), but I've started going cuckoo over playing card decks! :D

But I was always into something. In my twenties it was silverplate and Depression glass; until about ten years ago it was records/tapes/CDs; it's always been books. But I've had to cut back on the books for lack of space, and the music rarely gets played any more because it's so hard to keep the equipment working, and now there's YouTube; and the silver and glassware, well, how much can you use? Space is limited. (Though I still look out for interesting candle holders...)

Decks take up much less space. :) But as with every other collectable, I've gotten fussy. There are things on my wish list that I keep passing over when I get the chance to buy them in person. And I don't need any more decks, though there are some I dearly want, but most of the urgently wanted ones are OOP. And some of my older decks are long overdue for an outing.

nisaba

This is so odd you should post this, nisaba. I have been going through the same thing.
Odd? As I was typing it up I remembered a PM exchange between the two of us ages ago when -er- one of us admitted to using buying decks as a cover to hide an inner spiritual emptiness from ourself and made some resolutions about doing more meaningful things in our life...

We have something in common <grin>.

I have really been enjoying the pleasure of going out in the fresh air with my partner for long walks with the dog. I think it's this.
It's physically healthier than hunching over your desk in the half-light, but I'm sure the cat is deeply offended. Cats *like* Tarot readings - it gives them something to lie on.

There is no rush, the enthusiasm wanes. And then I don't buy it and my life doesn't feel poorer because of it.

Sounds as though you too are through your detox period.

nisaba

isn't this called 'saturation'? :)..
Not in my case. I *wanted* to keep buying but had a severe economic crunch at the time. Then, unable to buy, I suffered.

After a period of suffering, I changed. It felt like rehabilitating after a drug. I'm not saturated, I'm almost clean. Not quite, because I use Tarot (even professionally) and am around decks every day, but I'm not buying new. Like a stable, non-drinking alcoholic who can eat a slice of fruitcake made with rum, without going on a bender afterwards.

I treat myself like an addict, too, by avoiding some of my erstwhile favourite tarot websites and, largely, the Tarot Decks subforum where all the new decks I don't want to be tempted by are. So evidently on some level I still feel as if I'll get hooked back into it if I'm not careful.

nisaba

Oddly enough one thing that has really curbed my buying is - thegamecrafter. There are so many - really rather awful decks on there that I don't buy even though I am A Collector - and in a weird sort of way that has made me think harder about all of them...

But the two I have from them are fantastic!

Cephalopods and the Anti-Tarot. Only I -

gregory

But the two I have from them are fantastic!

Cephalopods and the Anti-Tarot. Only I -
Sure. And Ly's lovely Maria Celia. But there are so many there that are just awful. That psychedelic nude one, for instance. (Skyclad).

The Anti-Tarot ? Never come across that one...

gregory

Oh that. Not a Tarot. I can relax :D