Cutting

DarkWolf

Ok, stupid question. And I'm sure it has been asked a lot. But I have always wondered...why are you supposed to cut the Tarot deck in thirds before assembling the deck for a reading?

Is there a significance in the number three? Is it just a tradition?

DarkWolf

FLizarraga

That's usually how I have seen it done, so I assume there is a tradition. And I do it the same way.

But I doubt that there's more to it than the fact that three is a better number than two to further randomize the cards. And three is probably the oldest magic number...

Grizabella

In numerological things, some numbers are considered magic or perfect or sacred. Three, 7 and 11 come to mind. I'm not a numerologist by any means but that's why the tradition probably came about to cut into three stacks. I've never really done that, though. They say to cut with the left hand because that's your spiritual hand, but I just pull a clump out of the deck with my right hand, holding the deck in my left, and put that clump on top of the deck. I don't even put the cards on the table when I do it.

mrpants

Hey darkwolf, coupla things:

The thing #1 that I've learned about reading and readers is that there isn't really anything you are supposed to do. I've seen all types of readings and readers, especially online. There are expectations of course, and I'm sure that professional readers have individual ways of dealing with them: disclaimers, disclosures, and plenty that read in a fashion that simply might meet more popular expectations. But, here are 2 reasons why I do it:

When conducting face to face readings, some folks aren't comfortable shuffling cards; they're really bad at it. To facilitate, I'll offer that they can try overhanding vs riffling, or making a big messy pile on the table (which I dislike, but will allow), but some still struggle with these options. So, I'll offer to shuffle whilst we contemplate the question together after a quick hand hold. finishing the shuffle, I offer the cut to my querent. They chose the final stack.

Or, if conducting online readings, in order to personalize the experience, I offer the cut after a shuffle as well. again, the querent chooses the stack.

Results have been fairly positive in both cases. But, as in all things poetic or non-scientific, there is room for error in several areas of the reading. Most of all, I try to make the experience fun and as engaging as possible.

RiverRunsDeep

IMHO, the longer you work with the cards, the less you will worry about questions like this. You will eventually develop habits and traditions of your own. No doubt there is a significance and tradition to the number three, but I feel that as long as I randomize the cards with a thorough shuffle, it doesn't matter how I cut the deck. I am confident the appropriate cards will appear and, sure enough, there they are!

geoxena

. . . why are you supposed to cut the Tarot deck in thirds before assembling the deck for a reading?
Wait a minute - what??!! We're supposed to do that? Been reading tarot for years and I never knew! :bugeyed: :eek: ;)

They say to cut with the left hand because that's your spiritual hand . . .
I've also read that one should cut with the right hand because that is connected to the left side of the brain (more creative, more intuitive, etc.). Geez, we'll never get it right with so many different "shoulds" coming at us!

The thing #1 that I've learned about reading and readers is that there isn't really anything you are supposed to do . . .
Oh, whew! Now I can relax!

When conducting face to face readings, some folks aren't comfortable shuffling cards; they're really bad at it . . . I'll offer to shuffle . . . finishing the shuffle, I offer the cut to my querent. They chose the final stack.
Good point!

. . . I feel that as long as I randomize the cards with a thorough shuffle, it doesn't matter how I cut the deck. I am confident the appropriate cards will appear and, sure enough, there they are!
Me too!

:cool2:

DarkWolf

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses!

I've always cut my deck in thirds, but use my right hand (I'm right-handed, so it feels weird using my left...and one should be comfortable during a reading). I always put them together again based upon how the card stacks feel to me intuitively.

So, I guess it is reader's choice. It is interesting how things just become a matter of course.

DarkWolf

FLizarraga

One thing I forgot to mention is that, though cutting in thirds is the way I have seen it done in person and the way I do it, you will find that a lot of people here do things very differently. And that's OK.

There are a lot of traditions in card reading in general, and Tarot in particular. Some people like to study and follow Golden Dawn teachings, some people get very deeply into A. E. Waite's teachings, or or Etteilla's, or Crowley's Book of Thoth. Others choose to follow non-written traditions, and others just find their way intuitively, or talk to the spirits, or whatnot.

All of them shuffle and cut and do everything in very different ways, and you will find here all of those ways --and more. Be welcome to pick and choose and make up your own melange. :)

ETA: I usually cut with the hand that's closer to the deck, whichever it may be.

DarkWolf

One thing I forgot to mention is that, though cutting in thirds is the way I have seen it done in person and the way I do it, you will find that a lot of people here do things very differently. And that's OK.

There are a lot of traditions in card reading in general, and Tarot in particular. Some people like to study and follow Golden Dawn teachings, some people get very deeply into A. E. Waite's teachings, or or Etteilla's, or Crowley's Book of Thoth. Others choose to follow non-written traditions, and others just find their way intuitively, or talk to the spirits, or whatnot.

All of them shuffle and cut and do everything in very different ways, and you will find here all of those ways --and more. Be welcome to pick and choose and make up your own melange. :)

ETA: I usually cut with the hand that's closer to the deck, whichever it may be.

In short, it is a world of tarot anarchy! :grin: I'm just fascinated by all the different methods out there.

Thoughtful

When l first came to tarot l knew nothing of the various ways to shuffle and cut the pack. Bought my deck, gave it a good shuffle and read from the top card onwards. So simple, never lets me down. As RRD said the right cards always come up.
Its all a matter of personal choice and what makes you feel comfortable. l am always for the simple approach. Of course there are other folk who like the ritual beforehand of shuffling and cutting.
Do what feels right for you from the start and stay with it.