What if you discovered your favourite deck was painted by a Trump supporter?

Beancrew49

Hmmmm there you go again. I have never said I hate Trump. I never said I want to 'fight' Trump. I just want to stay as far away from him and his supporters as possible, and I certainly don't want to use decks made by people of a mindset to vote for Trump... a plan which ironically is what you're suggesting I do. :grin:

By "hate" I mean spreading negative energy. You even made a thread in order to spread that negativity to other people. This is Trump's goal, and you are falling into his hands.

What good does it do you to label a very large group of people, separate from them with the mindstate that they are not as good as you, and then try to rally other people to help you spread that negative energy? I call that hatred, and it's furthering the agenda of the guy you claim to want to disassociate from, so effectively you are actually helping the man you dislike.

What I'm suggesting is that you practice the vibration of love and acceptance rather than separation and opposition. Then you will be helping to solve the problem instead of perpetuating it.

celticnoodle

wouldn't bother me a bit.

ditto.

I have family and friends who are Trump supporters. I don't like the man and didn't vote for him and I am also irritated that he won and is now our President. But, this country allows us all to vote for whom we like. If I began to abandon the people, stores and items I buy and use because the creator of such things or manager/owner of the stores are Trump supporters, I may just be living on very little & with very little, and holed up in our home for 4 years, I'm afraid! :laugh:

But, if you feel that way and want to boycott specific items due to them being created or managed by a Trump supporter--go for it. Its your right and I support your right to do that. But, let me ask you too,Earthair, will this be only for tarot cards or ALL items that you might use? Such as Amazon.com, Home Depo, New Balance, Facebook, and the list goes on.

Silmaril23

Tarot surely stands outside of politics or any specific worldview. Having said that, I think that a person's art is necessarily imbued with something of their personal energy or essence.

Earthair, I'm of your mindset. Yes, I would have an issue using a deck that was created by someone whose worldview was not aligned with my own in some certain, important ways. (I'm sure my worldview varies a lot from many, many Tarot artists...but I think we are talking about a high level of divergence here).

It's interesting, because I actually find the Thoth deck very alluring and powerful. But I researched Crowley in depth some years ago, before ever coming to Tarot, and I am very, very repelled by his life and general energy. For me, he exudes a specific type of darkness, and I just don't personally want to work with it. So I can't imagine working with the Thoth, because it would feel inauthentic to my own sense of self at this point. Maybe I'll feel differently some day, but until then...no.

I had a similar dilemma with the Osho Zen, to be honest. I LOVE the imagery on the cards, and the Zen concepts. But Osho himself gives me the heebie jeebies. For some reason, though, it felt like it was surmountable with the Osho Zen, where the Thoth doesn't feel surmountable. Also, I can't stand the extra "Master" card included in the Osho Zen deck (featuring Osho), so I just removed it. I think the Osho Zen feels like it has more of Ma Deva Padma's energy than that of Osho himself, and that may be why it feels compatible for me.

There is clearly a lot of diversity in terms of these answers, so...each to his/her own! I think it's important to be authentic to your own inner self, though.

Papa Tango

But, let me ask you too,Earthair, will this be only for tarot cards or ALL items that you might use? Such as Amazon.com, Home Depo, New Balance, Facebook, and the list goes on.

Somewhere around 63 million out of a total population of around 209 million being voter age of 18 or more (considerably less, if one eliminates felons, non-registered, diminished capacity such as MI, DD, and old age cognitive) that make up the national pool. But overall that would be 30% of the population that voted Trump.

That is one heck of a lot of people to try and avoid or boycott. And along with the companies that CN cited--consider Internet Brands and Robert Brisco--their CEO. That is the company that develops and sells the vBulletin software this forum operates on... :thumbsup:

Grizabella

I really dislike politics, but they're a necessary evil, I guess. I can't stand Trump, but I wouldn't refuse to buy a deck just because the person who created the deck supported him unless the deck reflected his values.

earthair

It wouldn't bother me if Trump painted it himself. I keep my politics and my tarot separate, except when I'm using the latter to try explaining the former.

That would be a fascinating deck to behold.

Beancrew - if I spend my tarot budget money funding Trump supporters, then am I not also spreading negative energy and condoning it?! I find your definition of hate disproportionate. I asked a hypothetical question to which you answered using the words 'hate' and 'fight'. I am surprised that someone so sensitive to negative energy projects these words onto others so easily.

Non-hypothetically I know now that certain decks I own were created by Trump sympathizers, and I won't be using them for readings any more because looking at the art with fresh eyes I see the depiction of certain things in a new light.

Padma

Earthair, if it pollutes your view of your fave deck, and you now feel uncomfortable using it, then - do whatever feels best for you. Ethics, views and feelings are intensely personal, and only you can decide if you want to keep or read with the deck in question. :heart:

earthair

unless the deck reflected his values.

I think all artists reflect their values in their work. Core energy is expressed in art. A deck painted by someone who can't see the problem with how Trump talks about women, reflects that in the depictions of women to some extent.

EmpyreanKnight

We sorta elected our own Trump. If one of his most sycophantic flatterers produced a deck which appealed to me greatly, it would be a non-issue - I would still use it. I know others would never touch it with a ten-feet pole and I'd respect that, but they'd have to respect my opinion too.

But in truth, I guess it's all a matter of degree. I don't know if a lot of people would use a deck made by the Fuhrer himself.

Silmaril23

Non-hypothetically I know now that certain decks I own were created by Trump sympathizers, and I won't be using them for readings any more because looking at the art with fresh eyes I see the depiction of certain things in a new light.

Am I the only one who is really curious about this now...?