Umbrae goes on a Rant about LWB's

SittingIdiot

Best use of a LWB (for me) is trying to understand the artisit's concept of the image/archtype/myth. As an artist myself, when asked what one of my paintings means, I always reply, "That's entirely up to you; you're the artist now (creating your own mental image and meaning)." But, with icons or other story-telling imagry, I like to know where an artist is "coming from". Most LWBs never give you this info.

A good example is Ferenc Pinter's artwork in "Tarot of the Immagination". I love Pinter's artwork in the deck and the LWB is useless (it's a Lo Scarbeo publication, after all). Frustrating in Pinter's deck is my ignorance when it comes to European royalty; many of the court card personalities are recognizable, but not to me. After some researching, I found that the Page and Knight of Coins are Stanley and Livingston. This does not change my read of the cards but rather enhanses it a bit, keeping in the back of my mind what the historical figure might add to a reading. I really love Ovenall's Victoria Regina Tarot for this reason; the court persona are fun to read and play with and eventually led me to read a biography of HRH, "Mum".

On the other hand, sometimes the artist gives you wa-ay too much information, such as Maritxu Guler's decks. She must be quite a witch (I mean that in a really respectful, complimentary way), but I am not a member of a Gnostic Church, the Golden Dawn or BOTA and probably will never go there. I really can't "get" the use or application of "The 22 Paths" (of Qabala - or whatever PC spelling is used for this word), and wont be reading the Sefir Yetzera anytime soon, even when Rachel Pollack recomends it.

My resolution is people; read for others, with others, especially "tarot-ists" to learn about cards.

blue_fusion

how about...

A Moste Majestick Procession of LWB Nobility Tarot? i bet that'd make for a VERY thick deck. :D

wytchwood

I keep mine in a little box with all the 'spare' cards as well. I don't want to throw them in case I want to trade, sell, or give away the deck, but they get right on my nerves- along with the extra cards- faffing with them every time I want the deck out! And trying to wiggle the box lid flap past it without folding the paper down ggrrrrr. So I take em out. But, I have found that with some decks, the box doesn't stay closed without the extra padding, and they all fall out if you don't keep em upright.

zoe (keeping it really mundane)

Umbrae

blue_fusion said:
how about...

A Moste Majestick Procession of LWB Nobility Tarot? i bet that'd make for a VERY thick deck. :D

Just for the record.

The LWB for the Vanessa is the finest LWB ever written. I may frame mine. It’s brilliant, and should be emulated by every publisher.

blue_fusion

Umbrae said:
Just for the record.

The LWB for the Vanessa is the finest LWB ever written. I may frame mine. It’s brilliant, and should be emulated by every publisher.

:p lol i actually did take part in making that LWB. :D