Beltane - best readings/way to celebrate and work with it

wellspring

Hi :)

Was wondering if there's such a thing as a Beltane Spread, or, if creating one, what would be good to include in it? Also am sneaking in a question about celebrating Beltane and how to work with it's energies best generally too, as am well rusty regarding celebrating the festivals but really keen to get back into it!

Cat

Alta

As I mentioned by PM, I moved this to Tarot Spreads as that was the main question.

Discussions around Beltane would be held in Spirituality.

Thanks, Marion

wellspring

Hi Marion, will put the right glasses on next time! No probs re the spirituality question .... have pm'd to ask more about subscription.

Thanks, Cat

wellspring

just bumping it up!

"Was wondering if there's such a thing as a Beltane Spread, or, if creating one, what would be good to include in it?"

Cat x

Island Dreamer

I found this Beltane spread posted on Aeclectic in 2002 - beltane spread - majors and courts

someone asked about beltane spreads, and someone else asked about spreads using only majors... this is the spread i did today to find out more about this summer.

. . . . . . . . 1 / 2 . . . . . . . . . .
. . 3. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4. . .
. . . . . . . . . . 5. . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .6. . . .7. . . .8. . . . . . .
. . . . . .9. . . 10. . .11. . . . . .

. . . . . . . . 12 / 13

1/2: center/crossing at beltane: my general state of being today, and how it's being expressed

3: major inner forces: what's moving and shaking in me right now
4: major outer forces: what's moving and shaking outside of me, forces acting on me
5: their meeting: how these forces interact, how i deal with them, how i express them
6, 7, 8: joys and challenges: major tasks for the summer, issues that will come up
9, 10, 11: best tools: those skills i have or can develop in order to make the most of the summer's opportunities
12 / 13: center/crossing at samhain: my general state of being after the summer's over, and how it'll be expressed

i put all the majors and court cards in a pile, and shuffled them by messing them up on the table (well actually i was in bed ). i watched the swirl of cards and thought about the passage of time and the swirls of energy coming into my life, going out again... then gathered them all up and laid out the reading.

i did the same with the pip cards and used them to get some more context and clarification when needed... for instance, the 13 card was the empress reversed. i drew three pips and laid them beside her: the 10 of cups, the 5 of pentacles, and the 5 of cups. i read that as a sort of floaty joy, detached from people and things... an ungrounded spiritual high. wishful thinking? *wink*

emily2otters

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=3742

and this suggestion for a Beltane spread (external link posted below quote for reference purposes)

Beltane/May Day is a wonderful time to look at the corners of our lives that we want to become fertile and grow. What do you want to manifest? What creativity in your nature needs to be honored? There are several ways that we can work with the Tarot on answering these questions. One way is to work with a Tarot spread specifically tailored to this holiday. The following spread is something that I came up with. You may feel free to use it, or to create your own spread.

Creative Manifestation

1. What do I need to honor within my creative self at this time?
2. What shadows are holding me back from expressing myself creatively?
3. What do I need to let go of to allow my creativity full reign?
4. How can I best express my creative self?
5. What changes will expressing my creative nature bring to me?

This spread can be laid out in many different ways. It can be read in a linear fashion, in the form of a pentagram or a cross, or as an elemental reading (with card number one at the center of the spread). The format for the spread, and the wording of the questions, can be fine tuned by each individual reader. The focus here is on the ability to honor the creative fertility in our lives - to let go of what is holding us back, and spread our wings.

This reading can be done as the prelude to ritual that honors what we wish to manifest, or it can be done as part of such a ritual. Either way can have great meaning and great power. I would include the following elements in ritual: a green alter cloth, to honor mother earth; red, white and green candles; greenery and/or seasonal flowers; rose quartz crystals (for the heart connection); the Ace of Wands from the Tarot (Aces carry the full potential of each suit - the Ace of Wands carries the energy of Elemental Fire, representing creative passion and will). The ritual itself can be done in any manner that you wish - and can be done solo, or with a group. The intent here is to discern what you want to manifest in the coming year - how you can best honor your personal creative nature. The ritual and meditation on the spread are done with a sense of joy and peace - with a prayerful attitude.

May each of you find your own personal focus on the May Day.

Blessed Be,
Bonnie

Reference: http://www.angelfire.com/nm/spiritualwarrier/index.543.html

Island Dreamer

Pipistrelle

Thanks for posting this question Wellspring. I think I'm going to try the second spread Island Dreamer posted this weekend - I feel like my creativity needs a boost and this spread looks ideal!

Pip

wellspring

Thanks Island Dreamer :).... they're great spreads, and many thanks for finding them. Happy Beltane, Cat

Hi Pip :) Glad you like the spreads .... great aren't they, and just in time for Beltane too ..... have a great Beltane! Cat