Fortune Telling Cards

TarotBoy

Hello People, can anyone tell me the diffrence between this 2 deck of cards...

Parlour Sibyl & Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Playing Cards

Thanks... :)

Rosanne

Hi! The gypsy witch cards are like an ordinary set of playing cards illustrated.
So you have the four suits, diamonds, hearts spades and clubs- you can see a sample of the deck here- http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gypsy-witch/
The sybil has various amounts of cards but usually 52 with a man and woman cards as the significator making 54. They have historical titles used by a woman who apparently read for Napolean- they relate to some of the playing cards (Tarot cards actually) and have those cards up in the corner. They are more like LeNormand cards (36cards) and have titles like Faithfulness- but in French. You can see the particular deck by looking on the web. ~Rosanne (I like the Parlour sybil best for what it is worth.)

Chronata

I have both the Gypsy Witch (an early US playing card co set)and the Parlour Sibyl(published by Grimaud)

As Rosanne says...each has the playing card listed on the card, with other titles.

Both of these have 52 cards. The GW has two jokers included...and the PS as the consultant card (significator)as a regular number within the 52.

The GW also has the meaning written right on the card...the PS only includes the title.

Intrestingly, they are both based on a type of Leormand deck...but the numberings, meanings etc...are completely different from a Leormand...and even from each other.

The numberings of the cards, and the significance of the playing card suit, almost seem random. Each has it's own system, i guess.

here are two examples ....

the one on the left is the Gypsy Witch, the right is the Parlour Sibyl.

Attachments

• 1aoracles.jpg
    1aoracles.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 195

tabi

Kinda off subject but I do have the Gypsy Witch pack and find it to be very humorous for the most part. I jokingly call it my parlor trick deck, while accurate it can be hard to take serious at times.

wytchwood

I find playing cards a very useful divination tool for 'mundane issue' readings, and have long been considering a 'special' deck of playing cards for this purpose. Would anyone recommend that fortune telling one or another one? I would like one that seems like an old gypsy style deck, with the standard 52 cards, although I don't mind if the suits and/or courts are of an older or foreign style. If anyone could recommend one, that would be ace!

Does anyone else do playing cards for quick readings on mundane issues? I find it very useful, particularly in situations where you would not wish to draw attention with Tarot cards!

Zoe

Gavriela

I like Le Petit Cartomancien and the Parlour Sybil - the Cartomancien has only 36 cards, but does have reversed meanings. And the Jeu de Dames, I think it's called, is interesting also - but the last two have the meanings written only in French, so if you depend on the written meanings it's useful to know French.

Piatnik has a couple of nice fortunetelling packs out - I believe that the Gipsy one has 52 cards (no reversals though), and also they have an Art Deco, can't remember how many cards - but they have titles in English.

Or you could pick up a LeNormand cheaply enough - Lo Scarabeo has one out now under the title 'French Cartomancy' and it has scenes, plus a little playing card symbol, and no titles - you have to pick them up from a book.

The nice thing about playing card types of oracles, especially the European ones, is that they can often be had for $3 to $5, which is not bad. There are some nice Italian and German ones, too, but I'm more comfortable in French and English so usually I go for those, especially if there's a manual (sometimes there is, maybe 50 - 70 pages, so it helps to be good in the language).