playing cards(for divination)have the same meanings as minor arcana?

Le Fanu

53rdspirit said:
I did not know that the Spanish playing card decks included all four courts. Thank you for that, Fanu. All these years I have just been living with readings with the king, queen, and knight

Sorry if I misled you 53rdspirit, (I see from my post that I wasn´t very clear) but the Spanish decks don´t have four courts; they have King, Knight and Page,(no Queen) but the SUITS are batons, coins, cups and swords. Like tarot.

Austrian/ German Tarock cards have four court cards, but regular clubs, diamonds,hearts, spades on the pips...

Metafizzypop

I've been getting into cartomancy lately, too, and I've been doing some research around the web. I found that it's not just a matter of what each individual card means. The card combinations are important, too. A six of diamonds for example, will have a meaning, but if three sixes show up in the same spread, it affects the meaning of all of them. This is one of the things that makes cartomancy different from tarot, and gives it its own special zing.

A good site for cartomancy is the Ravensong Tarot website. I'll just link to the page with the card meanings.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/terrir/playing_card_meanings.html

Really fascinating stuff. It's a good site.

And on a final note: There's no Queens in Spanish playing cards? Doesn't sound like something I would care for, just based on principle. But aside from that, when used for divination, how would these cards indicate someone who is female?

Metafizzypop

cardlady22, thanks for supplying the link. That's a great website. The cartomancy "lessons" are very involved. Rather makes me feel like a proper fortune-teller, lol. I think I know how I'm going to be spending the evening now.

cardlady22

You're welcome! I collect books & systems and I can honestly say that site has the most unique flavor and approach to teaching. I love that poem for the Witch of Poor Memory!

magician_

Nevada said:
That's how I use them, with the same meanings as the minors, but you have to account somehow for the missing Knights. I combine them into the meanings of the Pages (Jacks) and the Kings.

But you can use any interpretation you're comfortable with, and a few years ago (haven't looked lately) there were quite a few variations spelled out online that I found with a simple search, as well as a few threads here, if memory serves.

thanks for your post, however, regarding combining the meanings of the missing knights into the pages and kings, Do you mean that, when you see a page or a king you mix the meanings of the page and the knight into the same page card: that is, every time a page(or a king)appears , its meaning is=to page+knight? thanks

magician_

There is a point I do not understand.

IF minor arcana and playing cards suits are basically the same(each playing card suit fits symbolically those of the minor arcana), why then there are many people considering playing cards meanings different from those of mior arcana?

Bernice

As Lorielle says:

"The older, more traditional, fortune teller type meanings for playing cards are completely different from the minor arcana meanings."

Playing cards existed before Tarot - and well before the Rider-waite meanings for the pip cards.

Bee :)