3 cards a day...

le_charior

I finally received my Il Meneghello Tarocco di Bologna yesterday. To celebrate it and to put it (as well as my other decks) to productive use, I thought I'd start a series of three card readings - a bit like daily draws. Not sure how regularly I will have time to do these and post them here, but I find that I am slowly getting tired of my daily draws, since so much is happening between the cards, in the relationship, dynamics, flow of energy between the cards.

I would be more than happy for anybody interested to join in, comment on my take on the cards, post 3 cards of their own for themselves, ask me to do a 3 card reading for them, do a 3 card reading for me, whatever! Anything remotely TdM/Historic/TdM-inspired or anything with non scenic pips goes, unusual decks are very welcome!

So basically I want it all in one thread - like this one, but for real life (since we can do readings now here in the Historic section I guess it's ok to do this here, if not, please let me know and feel free to move it to Daily Draws or My Readings...). It's a daily draw! It's a tarot journal! It's a study group! It's a reading exchange (if someone wants it to be...)! It's a place to show off historic decks!

Let the 3 card fun begin!

moonbear

I'm interested in this but as I'm still learning the Majors I can't join in but can I watch please?!
And then maybe I can leap in when I've learnt a bit more!

le_charior

3 cards a day - Sept 30th, 2011

Deck: Tarocco di Bologny by Il Meneghello
Question: What should I know about today?
Music: Nina Simone - To Love Somebody (http://www.allmusic.com/album/r53349)

X Batons - As de Coupe - X Epées

6197781524_13f462a59e_z.jpg

Mhm. Two tens and one ace. X Batons was present in Mallah's reading that I thought about this morning, too. Completion of circles and new ones starting. These last week felt a bit like a "in between" period, I didn't have so much work, spent a lot of time at home, in bed, sleeping, relaxing. Lots of time spent looking at decks, at the forum here, reading old threads, posting, doing first readings etc...

Time for me to stop playing around (X Batons) or only analyzing (X Epees) the cards and start to actually feel them? Let them touch my emotions, not only my aestetic pleasure or intellect.

X+X+I = 21 seems to point towards the Tarot. The seven towers of the Ace of Cups. 3x7=21. Seven, the mysterious number, enigma, fairy tales...

Or, more general - let my emotions run free, they are all fenced in by all these staves and swords.

Oh I am so fascinated and intrigued by the brown dots on the Bologna pattern - still don't know what to make of them, but I love how they seem to be added by someone on the completed card with some purpose.

le_charior

I'm interested in this but as I'm still learning the Majors I can't join in but can I watch please?!
And then maybe I can leap in when I've learnt a bit more!

Hey moonbear! Of course! The fact that you are still learning does in no way mean that you can't join in! I only started a few months ago myself, so I'm still totally learning and trying to understand and develop my take on the cards! (You are of course also welcome to just watch, if you are more comfortable.) But you can also do a 3 card draw with Majors only - or ask questions or post comments on the Majors (well, when some come up ;))! There are no stupid questions or thoughts on the cards for me - I often just let my imagination and my intuition run wild when I look at the cards. Every idea is welcome and enrichening, it's all learning by doing here, at least for me :)

moonbear

This gave me a reason to look at the Minors which I've always been frightened of because there are so many of them(!)

I think I see where you're coming from with these...10=Wheel of Fortune so that card influences the reading depending on which suite the card is from, and Ace=beginnings and is interpreted the same way, in this instance cups, and when you add all the numbers together you end up with The World, which is a rather nice outcome isn't it?

I fetched my cards intending to replicate your spread and made the rather sad discovery that my Grimaud deck is missing the Ace of Cups. It was second hand, a gift from a friend. I'm sure she had no idea it wasn't complete. It's probably deeply significant but in what way I've no idea!

moonbear

Used my Bruno de Nys Tarot and pulled three cards, no particular question, just wanted to see what would come out and what was significant about today. I got La Papesse, La Roue de Fortune and L'Hermite. It makes sense to me, I'm deep in learning and following my intuition (with the Minors!), that there will be a temporary change of luck for the better as concerns said learning (true) and this ofcourse then leads me into a deeper search and solitary quest for more learning and answers.

Then I tried the same with my Grimaud deck. This time I got L'Empereur, L'Etoile and Le Mat which I'll have to study a bit closer but at first glance would suggest I was building solid foundations that are leading to seeing the light, spiritually speaking, which then leads me off on my journey of discovery.

The most significant thing about both draws though is that the sum of their cards both add up to 21
La Papesse II, La Roue De Fortune X, L'Hermite VIIII
and then the Grimaud L'Empereur IIII, L'EtoileXVII, Le Mat (no number on the Grimaud).

I call that a pretty neat coincidence, given that your spread also added up to 21. Perhaps today is World day!

le_charior

This gave me a reason to look at the Minors which I've always been frightened of because there are so many of them(!)

I think I see where you're coming from with these...10=Wheel of Fortune so that card influences the reading depending on which suite the card is from, and Ace=beginnings and is interpreted the same way, in this instance cups, and when you add all the numbers together you end up with The World, which is a rather nice outcome isn't it?

I fetched my cards intending to replicate your spread and made the rather sad discovery that my Grimaud deck is missing the Ace of Cups. It was second hand, a gift from a friend. I'm sure she had no idea it wasn't complete. It's probably deeply significant but in what way I've no idea!

No need to be afraid of the Minors! If you have
- a set of meanings for each of the four suits and
- a set of meanings for the numbers 1 - 10 and the four courts
you can just combine these two to have an idea for every card.
For the suits and numbers, there are of course a lot of different systems, so you'll have to find one that works for you or combine ideas from several into a system of your own, but that will come with time. (Me, personally, I try to look at the image of the cards and how they relate before I refer to any other system - it is more a second layer or a help for me if there is nothing striking me visually). There are some excellents threads on the Minors and the different systems here in the Forum, check out the Forum Index, it is very helpful!

It is one perfectly valid and fine system to connect the Minors to the Major of the same number to give them meaning - I usually don't do that, but lots of people do.

Aces are a beginning - the start of the circle, the introduction of a theme.

10s are often seen as completion, the fulfilment of one cycle, the beginning of a new one, on a higher level. The end of the number sequence from 1 - 10, the cycle begins again with the four court cards. This makes sense to me so I took it over into my system - and you are right, it relates nicely to La Roue de Fortune!

For the suits, one possible way of interpreting them is
Coupes - Hearts
Batons - Soul
Epées - Mind
Deniers - Body
I think this is a bit short, but as an overal direction I agree with it. Again, there are many different ways and none is right or wrong.

This thread, Tips for reading with the Marseille was very helpful in the beginning for me (among many others).

So sorry to hear that your deck is incomplete! That is such a pity (and I don't think it is of great significance.) Hope you can get a full deck without too many problems, so you can really get started on the whole deck!

le_charior

Used my Bruno de Nys Tarot and pulled three cards, no particular question, just wanted to see what would come out and what was significant about today. I got La Papesse, La Roue de Fortune and L'Hermite. It makes sense to me, I'm deep in learning and following my intuition (with the Minors!), that there will be a temporary change of luck for the better as concerns said learning (true) and this ofcourse then leads me into a deeper search and solitary quest for more learning and answers.

Then I tried the same with my Grimaud deck. This time I got L'Empereur, L'Etoile and Le Mat which I'll have to study a bit closer but at first glance would suggest I was building solid foundations that are leading to seeing the light, spiritually speaking, which then leads me off on my journey of discovery.

The most significant thing about both draws though is that the sum of their cards both add up to 21
La Papesse II, La Roue De Fortune X, L'Hermite VIIII
and then the Grimaud L'Empereur IIII, L'EtoileXVII, Le Mat (no number on the Grimaud).

I call that a pretty neat coincidence, given that your spread also added up to 21. Perhaps today is World day!

Bruno de Nys - is that this deck here? Never seen that before, it is quite something! The rainbow jacket on Le Mat! And La Roue is standing on a black hole in space? Is it very common in France, this deck?

Really interesting that the Quintessential card (what you get when you add the numbers of the cards in a reading) is the same in my three cards and your two draws! And Le Monde is of course a great card to get.

If you look at your first reading reprenting where you are with the Tarot, then I think your take on the cards is very true. When i look at the cards in my Bologna deck, La Roue is central, it represents the cycles of learning, the ups and downs of the process. Both cards on the sides seem to comment on it, La Papesse, sitting down, studying, reminding you that this will be hard work sometimes, L'Ermite is for me also about shining a light, showing the way - the cards can be a tool for you to show you your path in life, like his lantern. Again, there is sense of Time (L'Hermite was depicted as a "Father Time" figure in some decks like the Minchiate and his lantern is sometimes an hour glass kind fo thing).

Tarocco di Bologna and below the Dodal by Flornoy (if you are in France and you want to get a new deck to replace your incomplete one, you could think about getting one of his decks!)

6199608617_9448983c6a_b.jpg

For your second reading - I have to think about that a little, too. Me, personally, I think I would rather have looked at the same cards you had in your first draw in your other deck than do a new draw - I had a tendency to rush through the meanings of the cards very quickly in the beginning, but then I started looking at the same card for a long time, keeping it with me (in mind but also physically, having it on my desk while I worked) for the whole day, reading a lot of old threads about it, really trying to understand and get into it as deeply as possible. I also write a journal about my daily draws, I think this is a very good way of learning. But then again, everybody has his or her own learning style and speed!

I hope this makes any sense to you, all this! Isn't it fascinating how these images, centuries old, still speak to us and trigger our reflections and intuition?

BrightEye

1/10/11

I'll give this a go :)

What is important for me to know?
Deck: Fournier Marseille (my favourite Marseille :))

The Emperor popped out while I shuffled.

King of Coins - 7 of Cups - King of Cups

A relationship situation is on my mind and the man involved in it is represented by both these Kings usually. The Coins King is his general personality and the Cups King represents his involvement with me. His cup is closed. He doesn't actually talk about how he feels but he lets me know in a roundabout way. At times, when we talk, his Coins personality comes through.

I see the 7 of Cups as advice to me to choose that one cup, the cup that is most important to me. There's a choice I need to make and he wants me to be absolutely certain about that choice.

The Emperor is part of his personality too. He is trying to put his foot down and call the shots, but I know that in his heart of hearts he is vulnerable.

le_charior

I'll give this a go :)

What is important for me to know?
Deck: Fournier Marseille (my favourite Marseille :))

The Emperor popped out while I shuffled.

King of Coins - 7 of Cups - King of Cups

A relationship situation is on my mind and the man involved in it is represented by both these Kings usually. The Coins King is his general personality and the Cups King represents his involvement with me. His cup is closed. He doesn't actually talk about how he feels but he lets me know in a roundabout way. At times, when we talk, his Coins personality comes through.

I see the 7 of Cups as advice to me to choose that one cup, the cup that is most important to me. There's a choice I need to make and he wants me to be absolutely certain about that choice.

The Emperor is part of his personality too. He is trying to put his foot down and call the shots, but I know that in his heart of hearts he is vulnerable.

Oh, so in the Fournier the cup of the King is closed? In my Dodal (and also in the Conver I think) it's open for the King, but the Queen has one closed with kind of a lid. And the page covers his cup with a fabric or his coat. Closed (Page) - Open (Knight) - Closed (Queen) - Open (King) - seemed to me the rhythm of the cup courts... but if the King has it closed in your deck, that is quite a difference! Can you add a picture if it's not too much trouble? I am so helplessly visual with the Cards...

More/real comments from my side later! Now it's Yoga time! ;)