Borderless Rider-Waite coming from US Games...

decan

Actually what is a bit curious with this one is that it is borderless on the front, okay, but on the back there is a big white border! Lol
If a deck is borderless, it is on the front and on the back, no? Odd!

Abrac

Did anyone really think they'd pass on an opportunity to use a copyright? ;)

starlightexp

huh... well I like it more then I thought. The borders on the PCS deck never bothered me.

Darytessekhmet

US Games sent me this image of the backs with the copyright.

Attachments

• BSW84image.jpg
    BSW84image.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 250

FLizarraga

It... never... ends... *plop*

Darytessekhmet

Well, the put in on both ends to make it reversible...

decan

The Morgan Greer was designed to be borderless from the beginning (one of the first decks borderless?), and it was a great success.
Here honestly I don't know if this version will bring something really significant.
We can trim a Rider-Waite, a regular or the Centennial if we want.
The back is exactly the one of the Centennial in a green not really attractive. Well, not a deck for me.

rwcarter

Well, the put in on both ends to make it reversible...

As was pointed out to me when I said the same thing about the PCS Centennial, the flower it not reversible. You can easily tell if the flower is upright or reversed. Copyrights don't bother me. And neither do non-reversible backs since I don't use reversals.

Rodney

FLizarraga

PCS? ...meh.

Just compared the images to my Centennial, and it seems you're right. It follows the same coloring scheme and shading, tho it's definitely much brighter. That might have been because it's an image viewed in an electronic screen, so the colors of the actual catds might just be as subdued as the Centennial.

Definitely not the plaid-backed Rider deck, since the background in the images does have a fine mottling effect that's a signature of the PCS. Not the Original either since the 3 of Swords in the borderless is unambiguously gray. So yeah it seems like it is based on the Centennial.

When asked whether it will be adapted from the Centennial Smith-Waite art and not the regular Rider-Waite, their answer was a bit cryptic, saying that it will have "subtle coloring not the brights of the 1970s RW deck", and to just look at the images on their site.

You are right, EK, it's both close to the Centennial AND brighter, but not the Centennial's. To my eye the 8 of Pentacles is very similar to the Pam A's, and so are the Sun and the 3 of Cups (though this one is more pastel).

I'm comparing the scans on the USG site with these, and with both my Centennial and my Von Waite. The scans of the upcoming borderless are the most similar to the original Pam A's of all the decks I have mentioned, as far as I can tell. Of course I'm working with poorly calibrated computer monitors and bad artificial lighting, but still.

magicjack

If any version needs to be borderless it's the Radiant. And yes, I like the colors.