The Devil and Mr. Trump

Metafizzypop

I've heard that you're not supposed to ask the same question over and over in tarot. But I don't agree with this all the time. I think that doing several readings on the same topic can tell us things that doing only one reading can't -- it tells us what cards repeat. If one card appears over and over, in every reading, I think that card must have a lot more significance than one that only comes up occasionally.

Over the course of his campaign, I've done several readings about what kind of president Donald Trump would make, if he were to win. And one card that appears every time, regardless of the number of cards, or what spread I use, is the Devil. Having this card come up endlessly does not give me a good feeling, but having it come up in the Outcome position, which is where it usually lands, is especially disturbing. And I've been getting this card for a year and a half.

I wanted to hear what others might have to say about the constant appearance of the Devil in readings about Trump As President. Here are some thoughts of my own.

One reason for the Devil could be money. The Devil is the card of materialism. There is nothing on Donald Trump's mind more than money and how to wrench it out of people using any unethical and uncooperative means available. He's bankrupted himself many times, and I'm wondering what he will do with the American economy.

Another obsession of his is sex, which is also in the Devil's domain. I noticed there hadn't been much talk about abortion in this election (a common topic in elections in the USA) because Donald's focus is more on how to get women pregnant in the first place.

He also has a bad temper. I've heard that the Devil can represent anger issues. It might also be about bullying issues.

The Devil is also about disorder and chaos. Donald knows nothing about government, and has no concept of how it works.

Or maybe, the Devil is just a nice way for tarot to tell us Americans that we're going to Hell. And that things are going to get bad. Violence is also a hallmark of the Devil. There may be violence in the streets, protests, even assassination attempts.

Another possibility is that Trump will not like the job of president. He will be frustrated by the fact that he will not be able to get his way without agreement from others. Any ideas for policies need to be approved by Congress and the Senate. I can't imagine what will happen the first time Congress vetoes one of his measures. A temper tantrum on the floor? Calling Congress rigged? Donald does not play well with others. Diplomacy is a big part of the job. Donald has none of this quality.

Anyone other theories?

Padma

Well, you seemed to have covered a lot of the Devil in your post quite well, yourself. ;)

One thing that strikes me about the Devil card is it can also represent fear, and how fear distorts the human psyche. Americans (and many others in the world!) are afraid of how things will be now that he is Potus.

So, the Devil may also appear as the outcome of his presidency because fear will cause people to act irrationally (in the sense of violence or terrorism).

Since you also point out the fact that the Devil causes war and violence and is chaotic, it may also bring out a wave of anarchy and revolt lasting more than a few nights of protests, based on the fear of what he might do as president. He may find himself with a revolt on his hands. And that anarchy could stem from other than the public; it might be military, it might be other countries, it might be any number of government flunkies, corporate moguls, world leaders not willing to compromise, deal, or to be bent to his will.

So the anarchy might be people on all levels, fighting him, on all of his decisions. And revolt caused by his decisions.

Or it may simply indicate widespread corruption on all levels of his businesses and in government during his term.

(One or two more thoughts, the Devil card can also indicate that the man is obsessed, and will go to any lengths to force his ideas through or get his own way. Also, the Devil can be about ego, and pointing out that this person is egotistical, narcissistic, and has a twisted inner view of himself and the world. And that being Potus won't change that.)

ETA I just went to Biddy tarot to see what she might have to say on that card. And a significant thing was she mentions the Devil as a scapegoat. So he may end up being the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the country during his term.

Debra

ETA I just went to Biddy tarot to see what she might have to say on that card. And a significant thing was she mentions the Devil as a scapegoat. So he may end up being the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong in the country during his term.

Hm. I'd flip that on its head--one of Trump's main rhetorical devices is scapegoating. In his rhetoric, things are going to Hell because of: foreigners, minorities, journalists, public servants, Army generals, women, liberals....etc. and he will take care of all these by firing them, throwing them in jail, or otherwise squashing them.

minotaur

Using the Devil to describe Trump is not being very nice to the Devil.

Grizabella

Hm. I'd flip that on its head--one of Trump's main rhetorical devices is scapegoating. In his rhetoric, things are going to Hell because of: foreigners, minorities, journalists, public servants, Army generals, women, liberals....etc. and he will take care of all these by firing them, throwing them in jail, or otherwise squashing them.

Yeah, we need to apologize to the Devil. :p

My uneasy feeling is that Hitler started out pretty much like Trump has started out.

I hope the demonstrations will continue and continue and continue. This country needs a revolution, really. I think Americans for the most part, especially younger Americans, didn't really understand that popular vote doesn't count in our voting system. The electoral college elects the president as it now stands and they can be bribed and bought. Popular vote elected Hilary but Trump got the presidency through the electoral college.

As I've been following the news today with all the anti-Trump demonstrators all around the US, I've wondered how he's taking it all in. He wanted to be elected God, but the people want a president and the people are speaking loudly and clearly. I hope he's listening.

It bothers me, too, that his wife doesn't really seem interested in his presidential "stuff". And it also doesn't seem quite right that the whole world has seen our "first lady" nude. Something about that is just going to take some getting used to. lol

The Devil card means addictions, dysfunction, perversion of what's holistic and healthy, and giving lopsided importance to people who have it for the wrong reasons.

celticnoodle

My uneasy feeling is that Hitler started out pretty much like Trump has started out.
BINGO!

I can remember hearing on television awhile back, (forget how long ago) and also reading about how Donald Trump LOVED to read about Hitler and found him to be inspiring. Inspiring?? :eek:

Throughout the campaign, Donald Trump spoke of how wonderful a leader, Vladamir Putin is.

I looked up Mr. Putin for some of his famous quotes, which include these (found online)

We don't need a weakened government but a strong government that would take responsibility for the rights of the individual and care for the society as a whole.

We shall fight against them, throw them in prisons and destroy them.

The path towards a free society has not been simple. There are tragic and glorious pages in our history.

Sounds much like what D.T. said over and over and over again throughout his campaign.

Get ready, America! Donald Trump will initiate changes that America may not be ready for. I hope I am wrong--but look for those who stand against this change to be thrown into prisons and be destroyed.

I fear that we may take a GIANT step backwards and will find people who believe their right to live their life one way (that was just becoming accepted in the U.S.A.) is suddenly a one way ticket into prison. I could be wrong and pray I am. Time will tell.

While it sounds nice to have a strong government that will take responsibility for the rights of the individual and care for the society as a whole, think about Russia. They aren't ALL taken care of. They are FORCED to live a certain way that Mr. Putin SAYS is the right way.

I hope the American people are ready for a complete turn around of how we live. Be ready to kiss some of your American freedoms good bye. Maybe it won't happen, but Donald Trump idolizes Hitler and apparently Mr. Putin. Is this what Americans REALLY want?

Metafizzypop

Thanks for your answers, everybody. Interesting stuff.

In my OP I had mentioned protests possibly occurring. After I had posted, I turned on my TV, and guess what I saw. Protests. It looks like the trouble is starting already. The Devil is already in his playground.

One thing that strikes me about the Devil card is it can also represent fear, and how fear distorts the human psyche. Americans (and many others in the world!) are afraid of how things will be now that he is Potus.

So, the Devil may also appear as the outcome of his presidency because fear will cause people to act irrationally (in the sense of violence or terrorism).

That sounds like a good possibility. I can see the Devil representing fear, because fear is such a negative emotion. And potentially a highly destructive one. I can also see people being afraid of Trump and what he might do. I'm scared myself.

Since you also point out the fact that the Devil causes war and violence and is chaotic, it may also bring out a wave of anarchy and revolt lasting more than a few nights of protests, based on the fear of what he might do as president. He may find himself with a revolt on his hands. And that anarchy could stem from other than the public; it might be military, it might be other countries, it might be any number of
government flunkies, corporate moguls, world leaders not willing to compromise, deal, or to be bent to his will.

This also sounds like a bunch of good possibilities. In fact, I've heard that the military does not like Trump, and are prepared to be very uncooperative. You called the protests, too.

(One or two more thoughts, the Devil card can also indicate that the man is obsessed, and will go to any lengths to force his ideas through or get his own way. Also, the Devil can be about ego, and pointing out that this person is egotistical, narcissistic, and has a twisted inner view of himself and the world. And that being Potus won't change
that.)

Oooh, yeeeessss, ego and narcissism. Absolutely. Donald is the master of these traits. He's a total windbag, super-inflated, blustering hot air balloon.

Hm. I'd flip that on its head--one of Trump's main rhetorical devices is scapegoating. In his rhetoric, things are going to Hell because of: foreigners, minorities, journalists, public servants, Army generals, women, liberals....etc. and he will take care of all these by firing them, throwing them in jail, or otherwise squashing
them.

It might go both ways. Trump does scapegoat all those groups. But once he's in office, he's going to be the one blamed for whatever goes wrong. It happens to every president. So we'll see how he likes getting what he dishes out. I don't think it will be pretty.

Indeed. At least the Devil was the model for a very captivating tarot card in the Major Arcana. Trump can't say the same. Oh wait, wasn't he the inspiration for the Fool?

Hitler has been called the antichrist. I bet that Trump ends up with the same label. And that would fit with the appearance of the Devil, too.

I hope the demonstrations will continue and continue and
continue.

I hope they do, too. I hope they continue for the whole four years of his term.

This country needs a revolution, really. I think Americans for the most part, especially younger Americans, didn't really understand that popular vote doesn't count in our voting system. The electoral college elects the president as it now stands and they can be bribed and bought. Popular vote elected Hilary but Trump got the presidency through the electoral college.

I think that this helps spark the protests. People feel cheated when the popular vote loses out to the electoral. They feel that the president didn't win honestly. I think it makes for very bad juju.

The Devil card means addictions, dysfunction, perversion of what's holistic and healthy, and giving lopsided importance to people who have it for the wrong reasons.

Yeah, Donald is the incarnation of all these things. He's also a totally incompetent buffoon. Which means he'll probably get re-elected in 2020.

I fear that we may take a GIANT step backwards and will find people who believe their right to live their life one way (that was just becoming accepted in the U.S.A.) is suddenly a one way ticket into prison. I could be wrong and pray I am. Time will tell....

......I hope the American people are ready for a complete turn around of how we live. Be ready to kiss some of your American freedoms good bye. Maybe it won't happen, but Donald Trump idolizes Hitler and apparently Mr. Putin. Is this what Americans REALLY want?

I get the impression that some of them do want this kind of authoritarian rule. Trump is popular among White Supremacists and Neo-Nazis. And they have a lot of rules. But what may save us from this semi-fascism is that Trump is a lot dumber than Hitler. Hitler might have been a horrible human being, but he wasn't an idiot. Trump is. So I'm hoping that sheer stupidity will save us, at least from this.

Padma

This is well-said. Of course! I overlooked that fact.

But of course I agree with Metafizzypop, that it can be seen as representing both him scapegoating others, as he does, but also being one, himself. Good point,, though, Debra! Thanks :)

Smiling

All good points about the Devil that point to his character. I would add vengeance, and he seems to be pretty open about retaliating against those who oppose or opposed him. Apparently, his aides have been gathering a list of names already, from the campaign, and he isn't even in office yet.

Holly doll

I'm thinking aloud here, so yell at me if I need correction...

The Devil card could also be talking about obsession with achieving an ambition & a lust for or addiction to power, often without thinking of the consequences & going to extremes to get it; "I want it, I'll get it, & I'll destroy anyone who gets in my way", and without asking himself if he is ready for - or even understands - the meaning of this HUGE responsibility; self deception.

The Devil is willing to destroy anyone or anything he doesn't understand or agree with - perhaps dropping nukes to prove a point; or to "win". The figures are chained by golden chains; but they are chained all the same; a slave to ambition... He's also in been contact with Putin - a person the US has seen as the Devil - could he have "done a deal with the Devil"?

As for his wife, she seemed disengaged & uninterested in the whole process; she could be the other figure on the card - going through the motions because he is holding the key to her shackles - do as I say... (& remember the prenup!)

As for the female figure also could represent a roll back of women's rights - "chained to the kitchen"...

The Devil is also very controlling & conditional; is Trump still trying to win his fathers approval? The figures in gilded chains point to this; & also points out that he will be "chained or trapped" by something that in reality, was a fleeting boost to his ego - the ego boost of being the nominee. I think he was surprised it went this far - the whole thing got out of his control.

Could he have been trying to implode his own campaign by making more & more outrageous comment, threats & accusations?