10 of swords as romantic feelings

Pao

Hey there!

So I'm wondering if I am interpreting the 10 of swords correctly in this context. The question is what does X feel for Y. My initial thought is that they're too scared of getting hurt. I pulled a clarifier and got page of cups which confirmed That they're too scared. I'm mot sure if I'm on the right track. I'm using the Victorian romantic deck and the image is not so bad, I almost feel like saying they feel they can go to hell and back woth the person.

tapasr_57772aeb7

Not a good sign and a clear signal that it's probably not going to happen.

ihcoyc

Not familiar with your specific deck, but I know this is a scary card in the RWS and Thoth traditions.

One thing the card can mean for me is that "you're overthinking this. You've talked this through, and talked enough. The time for words is over." Time to try a less intellectual approach. The suit of Air has done all it can, and it's settled and taken care of now; you need to move on to the next adventure.

barefootlife

10 Swords is a card about melodrama, about feeling 'stabbed in the back' or 'pinned down' by negative feelings. I've been having the Page of Cups coming up lately as someone who is very emotionally focused, possibly to the point of looking past logic.

This isn't a healthy relationship at all.

Pao

Thanks all 🌹 The people are just starting to date and the rest of the cards are very positive so when I saw that I was like but wait X sees Y as perfect for them. It could mean they're overthinking yes, (maybe too much) about taking the next step but not actually acting on it. I'm also thinking it means scared of being dumped.

IndigoWaves

So I'm wondering if I am interpreting the 10 of swords correctly in this context. The question is what does X feel for Y.

Though your deck's 10 of Swords may look less harsh than others, it's really not a card to be taken lightly, as feelings or anything else. I get the sense that "X" feels badly run down by an ex who's not been gotten over yet -- dragging him/herself back out on the dating scene because it seems like the thing to do, but not really wanting or expecting to find a love connection. A deep sense of exhaustion and hopelessness is typical of the 10S; "X" may be emotionally dead right now, unable to feel much, if anything, for someone new.

If the other cards are positive, "X" might be OK with casual exchanges like friendship, dates, or perhaps something physical... But "Y" should try not to get hopes up too high for an emotional attachment/"romantic feelings" from this particular person.

Pao

Though your deck's 10 of Swords may look less harsh than others, it's really not a card to be taken lightly, as feelings or anything else. I get the sense that "X" feels badly run down by an ex who's not been gotten over yet -- just dragging him/herself back out on the dating scene because it seems like the thing to do, not really wanting or expecting to find a love connection. A deep sense of exhaustion and hopelessness in typical of the 10S; "X" may be emotionally dead right now, unable to feel much, if anything, for someone new.

If the other cards seem positive, then "X" might be OK with casual exchanges, like friendship or perhaps something physical, but "Y" should try not to get hopes up too high for an emotional attachment/"romantic feelings" from this particular person.

Thanks 🌹 It makes sense, yes. The ex may have done quite a number on them and left them feeling awful then. I hate seeing the 10os it seems to hopelessl. Still, I wanted to see if there was anything positive about the card. At least his pain can't get any worse. Maybe healing can occur. Tough one.

headincloud

Hi X may see Y as melodramatic, attention seeking etc or otherwise struggling with the burdens the 10S brings. There's nothing romantic about 10S but the page indicates tender feelings.

Maru

It could be that 10 of Swords is them having a deepening negative feeling they feel about the disposition of the relationship relative to where they are in life currently.

9 of Swords precedes, so 10 of Swords may be the worries coming to light in the waking world (not just your mind's eye) rather than just hanging on top, controlling the individual's attention....

It's possible the relationship itself doesn't look like it can form the right foundation. The other party may be overly optimistic and this may clash with this individual's skeptical viewport of life. Or other red flags pointing to there not being a long-term potential. The foundation may not be based on firm ideas either, maybe too much talk about soul mates, astrological connections, marriage talk, and other floaty floaty stuff that the querent doesn't quite understand and is left scratching their head (10S). They're struggling to see it as the real deal. It may be too pushy and for some this is a quick way to push them away... because they feel they will become a martyr to this version's interpretation of the relationship. Whereas they feel that thinking is over the top and could lead to the other side becoming hurt if they were to pull back.

Another take,

If either or BOTH are going through a healing period, i.e. dealing with major psych issues, self-esteem issues or boundary issues as they are repairing from a major relationship breakup (like marriage) or otherwise are working on themselves to make sure they don't re-engage yet again in unhealthy relationship patterns... then it's possible the feeling is related to it being an impediment in their emotional recovery. That the thoughts and anxieties of the 9 of Sword have went overboard and crushed their willpower to go further on their journey... so they may still be reeling from negative cycles of the prior relationship.

I get this sometimes for people who are working on self-improvement or dealing with anxiety issues after busted up affairs and the relationship is like a "bad" high. That is, it feels great to them and looks good on the surface... but it's going to lead back to a lot of the same roads they've crossed before. It may be they can't stomach it, that it will light a fire back on their old trust issues and cause them to relapse in recovery, i.e. continue negative patterns such as codependency or jealousy problems from the prior union.

It's likely not the fault of the other party in that situation. This person may still living in a negative cycle of thinking, or otherwise recovering psychologically, and they may not yet have the tools yet to get out of 10S thinking. The old behavior patterns are still there and it may affect their self-esteem and sense of self worth to go back this direction. This leaves the person feeling quite mired in their internal melodrama as they really have no reason to feel this distrust of this individual, but yet the trauma from the past are still there, plaguing the querent... could be they don't know how to have a healthier relationship yet, hence the exasperated 10S appearing. They wish they could just move past automatically... therefore still feeling "pulled down" by the prior relationship.

If this comes to light, then it's possible the partner (the non-10S one) can ask to join in on therapy process and make it a safe environment so that the partner can eventually "catch up". However, they would need to reel back their expectations of the relationship a great deal and try to focus on building a firm relationship based on mutual trust and healthy boundaries. If they're seeing a therapist, then it's possible the new partner could join in on the process. Though in some ways, it would be like teaching someone to walk again.

On the other hand, if it is positively dignified, then it's possible they have finally become liberated from these experiences... that they are ready to release the past and move on. Entirely depends on the context of the other cards in the spread. If it's a single card, I would take it at face value.

Other other possibility is that the querent is engaging in shady behavior in the background and they know they've already screwed it up before they even started.

BTW, Page of Cups can indicate the 10S is based in immaturity issues. Whichever partner.

Mittkait

Hey there!

So I'm wondering if I am interpreting the 10 of swords correctly in this context. The question is what does X feel for Y. My initial thought is that they're too scared of getting hurt. I pulled a clarifier and got page of cups which confirmed That they're too scared. I'm mot sure if I'm on the right track. I'm using the Victorian romantic deck and the image is not so bad, I almost feel like saying they feel they can go to hell and back woth the person.

I read the cards from an alchemical/psychological point of view. I also like to view the minors as moving towards the one, the point as portrayed by Pythagorean triangle. That would mean, how I read the cards, the Aces are the pinnacle of the journey. In my opinion this evens out the playing field and properly represents the union of the 4 elements. It just never made sense to me that the cards would leave the reader in a lurch 2 times out of four paths. Of course that changes the meanings slightly. In the cups, intuition/emotion, you are moving away from emotional immaturity and intuitive naivety. In the Wands, you are moving away from out of control passions. The pentacles again mean growing up, leaving the childhood home or materialism. The swords are moving away from intellectualizing based on fear and or dogma.

The 10 of Swords, alchemical wise is portraying the "Death of the King" the stone that is in the process of being purified. This is something that doesn't work for you or the querent that must be cut away.

The Page of Cups (intuition/love) represents something new, a bit unformed or dreamy. Whoever it is would like to be with the person they are asking about, but it remains a dream. Perhaps not even based in reality. Without a third qualifying card, I find it hard to say if the 10 of Swords is based on the querent's fear of rejection, already rejected, fear of moving forward or really knowing that the object of their affection is not really a proper mate.