Asherah Tarot, originally the Sarah Magdalene Tarot

Grigori

Wow, I never noticed this thread before and have been missing out! Your cards are stunning. I'm a massive fan of the Thoth deck, and think this is the most exciting modern deck in that tradition, and can see that it would be a deck that would really appeal to a broad range of tarot readers, and introduce a lot of the more occult aspects of tarot to an audience that wouldn't otherwise look in those areas.

Your Ace of Swords is my favorite I think, if you're ever selling prints or the originals I'd be very keen to see a copy on my wall. Lust I think is the most challenging for me, I found it really startling to see such a (I hope you can forgive the expression) Narnian looking lion in the place of the Beast :D A gorgeous card, but a complete double take for me which I'll be thinking about for a while! :laugh:

Congratulations on the work so far and I'll be eagerly following this thread to see more. Like many others I do hope a complete deck becomes available as I'd love to be able to add it to my collection. There is a big hole in the market place for a serious occult deck that is so approachable and beautiful to look at and I'd hope a publisher recognizes that and promotes the bejeebus out of you.

Wow, just wow!

brightcrazystar

I agree, these are stunning! you are a wonderful artist.

salamandrina

Thank you very much to both of you!
I was at a low point yesterday but now I am re inspired! :)

I'd love to have the bejeebus promoted out of me! XD But I am such a control freak. I absolutely must have them produced exactly the way I want them. None of this messing about with them by junior hacks the big companies seem to insist on. Might mean I'll have to do it myself but, I'd really rather not have to bother.

As for the Lion, he is perhaps a little too tame looking. And I will admit I was very inspired as a child by the idea of riding Aslan. Nonetheless this card is one of the ones that always makes me happy to look at, so I doubt I'll change it.
As far as the metaphor of the Beast goes, my ideas on that were heavily influenced by reading D H Lawrences Apocalypse at the time, in which he trashes Revelations as the piece of spiteful demented propaganda it is. And by finding a copy of the Hymns of Inanna in my op shop. She was of course the original tamer of Lions later stigmatized as the Great Whore.
Check out Inanna and her Lion:
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/dame_ningen/inanna3.jpg
I don't think the Lion is the one to be scared of...

Babalon Jones

Your cards are gorgeous! Bravo! I feel a certain kinship, as I'm also working on a Thoth-inspired deck. And I can totally relate about the control part of things. I know how much work this takes, and really applaud you. I really like what you are doing!

salamandrina

Oh and I am going to organize Art Prints, so I'll make an announcement about that soon. I'll never sell originals though. That is one of the bonuses of this kind of design work. I always hated selling originals. Like selling your kids!

Babalon Jones

LOL gotta agree on that, too!

salamandrina

Thanks Babalon! :)
It is a huge amount of work. This will be my 6th year of pretty much full time work on it. I am lucky to have been able to dedicate so much time to it really, but I am starting to look forward to finishing it I have to admit.