Can the 4 of pentacles be ''laying down a solid foundation''?

tarot_quest

Hi ATers!

I was wondering if some of you (depending on the reading) can see the 4 of pentacles as laying down some foundations? In numerology, 4 is about stability, security and slowly building your own empire.

I am asking because I got an insight today after meditating. I asked lately if I should move abroad for my career and one of the cards I got was the 4 of pentacles (Marseilles deck). At first, I saw it as being conservative and perhaps feeling restricted in my environment if I move. But the more I think about it, ''laying down foundations for work'' makes so much sens. I am still trying to find my first career since months and I might get a more advanced position if I move (compared to if I stay here).

I know that in the RW deck, the 4 of pentacles represents a greedy guy, but do other people see this card (in some contexts) as laying down a foundation for something? I am also asking because several readings did point out that moving would be good for my career.

Thanks for your input on this card!

Barleywine

It's interesting that I was just reading Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass, and he used your exact words for the 3 of Pentacles because of its emphasis on careful planning, and then diligently "working the plan." With the 4 of Pentacles (these are my own words now), the foundation has already been laid and we have to shift into "maintenance mode" to make sure it doesn't develop "cracks" (at least not until we're ready to move to a larger one). As you note, it has stabilized and isn't elastic enough for easy expansion, so "it is what it is" for the duration of its habitability.

Within the context of contemplating a career move, it could mean that your current foundation is too limiting, so it's time to knock it down and build a bigger one.

bluelagune

it depends how you "lay down your foundation". You need to consider all aspects of what you are using to do this. Do you have the necessary equipment or expertise. The main question is how do you protect this process? Is there environment or people that currently effecting you/your progress, then this card is asking you to take a look and protect what is yours.

think

I always, well not always always, but usually always, see the 4 of pentacles as a guaranteed no card.

Like an emphatic, nope, not happening.

I'm so fickle, I saw this somewhere and it's stuck.

Aside from that, it means hanging on to what you have, taking care to keep your security, not doing anything to rock the boat.

So with that I'd see this as a no to your question about moving.

But... I think much of tarot is the individual reader's own initiative. So you maybe have similar feelings about the 4 of pentacles as I might about the 3 or 6 of pentacles (e.g. outlined here in your post), so that's fine.

I have also read that Four of Pentacles can be about laying down a solid foundation, and I always want it to mean that in my readings. It never seems to be positive, though! Usually, Four of Pentacles represents clinging to something of value or being a commitment-phobe in some respect.

Barleywine

I have also read that Four of Pentacles can be about laying down a solid foundation, and I always want it to mean that in my readings. It never seems to be positive, though! Usually, Four of Pentacles represents clinging to something of value or being a commitment-phobe in some respect.

In number theory, all of the Fours can be about clinging to something that eventually has to be let go; in tarot terms, some cards are more insistent about it than others. If that weren't true, we wouldn't have the Fives.

Thirteen

More like a bunker than a foundation

I was wondering if some of you (depending on the reading) can see the 4 of pentacles as laying down some foundations? In numerology, 4 is about stability, security and slowly building your own empire.
Yes. The #4 is stability. But the Pents are ALSO stability. That makes 4/Pents Stable-Stable...which is too much and works against it. Best example: if you live in a earthquake area, building with give and sway will stay up. Those that don't, that are uber-ultra-stable will come crashing down.

So this is why the card is not about laying down stable foundations, but rather about being immovable, often to a damaging degree. What's been built here has much concrete and stone and glue that you're stuck with it exactly as it is. There's no way to adjust it if you change your mind, or need to expand, or need to build up that "empire" to a different height, etc. It also suggests that the person is saying, "we're done." No *more* building. No more expansion. Empires require solid foundations, yes, but they also need the ambition and energy and desire to keep building. That's not in this card. Pents are very slow moving, and 4/Pents indicates no movement at all. It's frozen in place.

This is also why--seemingly counter-intuitively--the 4/Wands is usually the card about the completion of a stable foundation and the promise of expansion (empire building) upon it. With Wands you're stabilizing energy. So it's like you put in the fireplace--you have all the heat, warmth and such you need to keep building. Go onto the 4/Cups, however, and you've a problem because standing water can go stale. You want water to flow. So stability for cups isn't so good. 4/Swords is good, however, because it stabilizes the turmoil, gives it a resting place. Air is quiet and still here rather than blowing all around.

Which is all to say, you're right about the meaning of 4's, but you have to take the suit into consideration. 4 = Stable. Pents = Stable. And Super-duper-not-going anywhere stable is not the foundation for an empire. It's a finished bunker locked up tight :)

tarot_quest

Thanks everyone for your inputs! (I will get back to everyone).

However, I still feel confused about the idea of moving abroad for my career (IF I get an offer). Here is the original reading for those of you who are interested (moving vs staying): http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=270266

The cards for moving abroad were: 4 of pentacles/Emperor (another 4!)/Strength

I interpret the Emperor as a sens of direction (being goal driven) and the Strength as taming/dealing with different sort of feelings. I also see an ''aggressiveness'' from those cards concerning work!

tarot_quest

It's interesting that I was just reading Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass, and he used your exact words for the 3 of Pentacles because of its emphasis on careful planning, and then diligently "working the plan." With the 4 of Pentacles (these are my own words now), the foundation has already been laid and we have to shift into "maintenance mode" to make sure it doesn't develop "cracks" (at least not until we're ready to move to a larger one). As you note, it has stabilized and isn't elastic enough for easy expansion, so "it is what it is" for the duration of its habitability.

Within the context of contemplating a career move, it could mean that your current foundation is too limiting, so it's time to knock it down and build a bigger one.

I like your take Barleywine :) I also see the 4 of pentacles mainly as ''constrictive'', so your inputs about broadening my horizons and expending possibilities is quite welcomed. It's a difficult card to interpret when trying to see something positive, generally speaking.

tarot_quest

it depends how you "lay down your foundation". You need to consider all aspects of what you are using to do this. Do you have the necessary equipment or expertise. The main question is how do you protect this process? Is there environment or people that currently effecting you/your progress, then this card is asking you to take a look and protect what is yours.

To answer your question, I did a PhD and gained some work related experience by doing different social projects. However, despite my skills, I am mainly seen as ''not competitive'' because I have no formal work experience. I just need that someone gives me a chance, seriously. In my town, getting some work is a very competitive task! That's why going to a smaller place abroad could help me to start my career, perhaps.