A/t Herb Garden ?

cybercat

Hearthcricket just pick up a pack of basil seeds. They grow fast like a weed. Any home improvment center will have them now like Lowes or HD. Walmart also has them now, I picked up a few packs last week.

HearthCricket

Thank you! I can't plant them until Mid May, but if they grow fast it will be worth it. :)

celticnoodle

you can also purchase basil in most local grocery stores wrapped in a plastic bag, with the top open. these generally have the roots intact. this is how we buy them frequently. take them home and plant them in a pot. I water mine every day-and we've had this plant for a few months now. I water my rosemary every day too--because our house does tend to be very dry. It should be fine-and then when the weather permits, you can transplant it to the outside garden. The best part is meanwhile-you get to take advantage of some delicious basil leaves! :)

HearthCricket

Good point, because we have birds galore, and I would rather not have them pooping on my herbs that I want to use for cooking. :D

ravenest

A friend put me onto this and I dont know why I never thought of it before.

Eschallots (or shallots or whatever you call them).

I use them a lot, in slads, but especially in stir frys and eastern type foods , cut them off above the roots, trim dead leaves and roots and put them in a glass of water, when they re sprout roots, plant them.... cut them above ground level for second harvest, mine last 3 - 4 harvestings or more, when they are depleated I buy another bunch ans start again.

Always got fresh shallots :)

Sophie

Mmm, shallots!

mingbop

I don't want a kitchen garden cos I hate cooking with a PASSION. I want a medicinal/fragrant/symbolic/historical herb garden :)
SO Fudge, if I were to do a star of david shape, I could have the taller stuff in the middle ? and then what --each leg of the star with the same selection ... or each leg with a single different herb ..? OOOOh decisions decisions :)
I got some seeds today, orange thyme,rosemary, and blue hyssop. They should grow here. Re the thyme cough mix CN, it was a long time ago when I knew a lot more about herbs-I forgot so much stuff now. I had a brilliant herbal too, which I lent somebody and they moved away with ..

Sophie

For the star of David, first you decide on the centre and the points, then you look to join them. Bay is good in the centre, or anything else that grows tall and slender. For the points, go for something that can be kept in reasonable trim, or pots, or you lose the shape. You have more flexibility for the sides. I like to mix herbs, but also have a certain amount of symmetry. In fact, my ideal is to play with symmetry and lines, so that the end result has a shape, but is not rigid and boring. Well, that's what I aim for at least. Generally though, herbs have a mind of their own and do what they like :D

Once you have your basic star, you can then plant around it in a variety of ways.

Another nice shape for herbs is the simple spiral, because it has a very natural feel about it, and if you space them well, the herbs can really grow happily. Again, choose something tall and slender for the centre, but then, spiral out.

celticnoodle

ah well, ming, thanks anyway. We have tons of books here regarding herbs, and I probably should look through them, or look to purchase another herb book with natural remedies in them. may find it there.

and, speaking of books, since this thread began, I did locate an herbal book titled "The New Holistic Herbal" by David Hoffman online. It's available on Amazon.com for around $5.00, but I wonder if anyone here has it or is familiar with it?

orange thyme, eh? I am not familiar with that one, should look for it. I'm also not familiar with the "Star of David". I tried to google it, but still having a hard time finding anything like this herb. What can it be used for? must be one of those little known herbs to the US I guess.

I, personally prefer to plant the herbs in pots myself, so that when the weather gets nasty, we can bring them indoors, but hubby is the opposite, and he likes them outside. the draw back to potted herbs is that they take more time to care for them. I'd like to do our tomatoes that way too, but again, he wins out on that. Maybe this year though, I'll do more plants in pots---especially my herbs. I just LOVE potted plants!

cybercat

Yes, herbs grow well in pots. Hearthcricket that would be a good idea for you to grow basil in a pot in the house. That way you can have it year round. I have a pot started with mint that I will add basil and sage too.

Mingbop that is an interesting idea doing the star of david as a herb garden.

Celticnoodle I have heard of that book but do not know it. Sorry I can't help more there.