Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 4 of Pentacles

Enchanted

Debra said:
Um. I'm seeing this differently. Try standing like that: hold something in each hand, extended overhead, and take a wide stance (if not on your pentacles, then perhaps on your high heeled shoes) and then...hold it...hold it....hold it....

Such balancing is a strain.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I can see where you are coming from. Sustaining that posture for any length of time would really hurt, your muscles would begin to ache and a definite case of the jelly legs.

So I guess in a way, he will have to let go or else it is going to cause him pain.

Debra

Thus the connection to the traditional "miser" meaning, I think....it's a strain to hold on.

Enchanted

I just thought that maybe that is why his head is cocked to one side. Perhaps he is thinking, I'm not really sure how much longer I can hold this.

Debra

Enchanted said:
I just thought that maybe that is why his head is cocked to one side. Perhaps he is thinking, I'm not really sure how much longer I can hold this.

Yeah, maybe! I can see him looking proudly at one coin after another....still grasping to control them all! Maybe I'm too wedded to the RWS meanings after all.

Sulis

Debra said:
Thus the connection to the traditional "miser" meaning, I think....it's a strain to hold on.
I like that :)

Enchanted

Debra said:
Yeah, maybe! I can see him looking proudly at one coin after another....still grasping to control them all! Maybe I'm too wedded to the RWS meanings after all.
That's what I keep thinking with these cards, that I'm wedded to RWS meanings. I am trying to look at them with fresh eyes, but it is hard to forget what you already learnt. I am enjoying this study group though, I feel stretched and in a good way! :)

WooMonkey

Debra said:
I can see him looking proudly at one coin after another....still grasping to control them all! Maybe I'm too wedded to the RWS meanings after all.

Me guilty too! Although my first impression of this card is much more positive than the RWS. At first I thought he was straining to reach the upper coins, but now that I've looked again it seems that they're resting in his palms.

ana luisa

reviving an ancient thread

The guy has mastery over the four elements (air and water - fire and earth) and seems to have them all balanced , however, the head turned to the side made me wonder : it's possible that he may be checking for stability just in case one of them coins decides to fall. The caveat is that his stance puts him in a very vulnerable position because neither his hands nor his feet can protect him so he may consider whether this sacrifice is worth the gain. He also seems to be showing off his accomplishments.