entire deck, one animal, other than dolphin and horse

hunter

I have Way of the Horse cards and I recently learned about the Dolphin Divination Cards. Are there any other decks that feature just one animal and really focus on its attributes as examples?

Mellifluous

There's Bird Signs by G.G. Carbone and Mary Ruzicka though I'm not sure it meets the 'and really focus on its attributes as examples' criteria.

I think there are some other bird decks out there though. (I expect they all include multiple types of birds, rather than just one.)

Also, Doreen Virtue has a unicorns deck - if that counts in your opinion. :)

hunter

I'm looking for an oracle not a tarot. The wolf tarot is actually an oracle, which is hopeful. The pictures are beautiful...but there doesn't seem to be any wolf wisdom in the cards.

Any links for bird signs? Do they include bird wisdom?

With the horse deck, the horses serve as examples and copying their attributes is encouraged. The Dolphin deck looks like it might be similar in that. I was able to read some of the book online.

The wold deck might be adapted by having some wolf books on hand, and then looking up topics related to the topic on the card, I guess.

I'll have to look up the unicorn cards. Why not? :) I have Dorian's Mermaid cards and I think of them as cheerleaders not examples. I assumed the unicorn cards were the same. There are other unicorn decks that the Dorian ones, right? Do any use unicorns as examples?

Mellifluous

This is Janet Boyer's review. I haven't had this deck out in a long time, but generally - from what I remember - I agree.

http://janetboyer.com/Bird_Signs.html

I'm not really sure what you mean by using them as examples, so I'm not sure how to reply to that question. I'm not familiar with any other unicorn decks though, so I probably wouldn't have anything useful to say about it anyway. lol

There is a card in Doreen's deck that I like about trying something new or learning something new. It shows a unicorn swimming in the ocean with a dolphin. Makes me laugh. :joke: It's a fun and beautiful deck.

hunter

Thanks for the link. It sounds like the deck might be the type of deck I'm interested in. It didn't get such a great review though. I'll keep researching this deck.

Some decks teach a lot about the topic they are about, and other decks USE the deck topic to illustrate ANOTHER priority of the author. I know I'm not being clear.

In the Prayer card of the Wolf Pack Tarot, you learn NOTHING about wolves. The wolf's attributes are not used as positive or negative examples we can learn from.

http://www.thewolfpacktarotdeck.com/

Also the Love card mentions NOTHING about WOLF love. Yes, from the picture and other books we could take the time to study wolf devotion, but the deck itself doesn't provide any wolf wisdom, whatsoever.

And the Prayer card cannot even be supplemented. The wolf is just used to get across a non wolf related priority of the author.

In a one animal deck, it's nice to learn about the animal and to learn to copy it's good examples and learn to recognize the bad ones in ourselves.

hunter

The bird signs oracle was on sale for $4.00 at Amazon in "like new" condition and in "original shrinkwrap". Not sure how something could be anything but "new" while shrinkwrapped?? :-0 I decided to splurge on a little Easter treat :)

Bodhran I'm more interested in the new pocket guide coming out than his bird oracle, now that I just bought the other one. I'll be watching for that next month. Thanks so much for that link!

The other Animal speak book is just so big and well...drones on a bit. The pocket guide will hopefully be a nice addition to my Medicine cards.

I really get a lot of help from my animal oracles. Example is such a powerful learning tool.

Myrrha

hunter said:
Some decks teach a lot about the topic they are about, and other decks USE the deck topic to illustrate ANOTHER priority of the author. I know I'm not being clear.

In the Prayer card of the Wolf Pack Tarot, you learn NOTHING about wolves. The wolf's attributes are not used as positive or negative examples we can learn from.

http://www.thewolfpacktarotdeck.com/

Also the Love card mentions NOTHING about WOLF love. Yes, from the picture and other books we could take the time to study wolf devotion, but the deck itself doesn't provide any wolf wisdom, whatsoever.

And the Prayer card cannot even be supplemented. The wolf is just used to get across a non wolf related priority of the author.

In a one animal deck, it's nice to learn about the animal and to learn to copy it's good examples and learn to recognize the bad ones in ourselves.

In the animal decks I've seen sometimes even if it is somewhat related to the animal it is more about a cultural or mythological take on the animal than anything related to the animal's actual behavior, biology or characteristics.

Do you know some things about wolves? If you could make a deck that does have wolf wisdom... it would be great, I'll bet alot of people would be interested. There could be a love card that is really about wolf love.

I'm looking forward to Lorena Babcock Moore's black cat divination deck. She is a really gifted artist and the drawings seem to be based on close observation of her own cats and their movements, postures, interactions.
http://www.mineralarts.com/artwork/BlackCatSociety.html

faunabay

hunter said:
I
I'll have to look up the unicorn cards. Why not? :) I have Dorian's Mermaid cards and I think of them as cheerleaders not examples. I assumed the unicorn cards were the same. There are other unicorn decks that the Dorian ones, right? Do any use unicorns as examples?
There's actually a better unicorn deck (IMO) than Virtues. It's Diana Cooper's Unicorn deck. I have it and absolutely love this unicorn deck. I didn't get on with Virtue's one......I think it was made more for children and was just a bit too childlike for me. And while I don't have it yet, there's also a book that goes with D. Cooper's deck.