Does a 21 Century Real World Issues Deck Exist?

Tansey Ella

edited

edited

jmd

I suppose that any deck, especially if it is going to be a tarot deck, will of necessity not only leave out certain types of images, but also include others that may seem a little odd.

Part of the task, from my perspective, is for tarot's structure to remain intact if it is to be a tarot deck. Of course, this does not preclude a different type of deck (commonly called 'oracle') from being developed. With Tarot, however, there will remain certain over-riding patterns.

I would not be personally happy to describe these as 'archetypes' (in the jungian sense), for it may be that certain (jungian) archetypes are themselves omitted as not properly belonging to tarot per se.

Still, in a brief reflection, the only deck that comes to mind as being close in some ways is the metrosexual tarot (also viewable on Aeclectic).

Tansey Ella

edited

babyJo

Yes Breezes,
The LS Pagan is my fav deck coz of it's modern scene too.

Do look at the kit with the book and bag if you are going to get this deck. The book explain the card really well.
For example, the 2 of Pens showing a woman rushing around in her daily life.

~Jo

Tansey Ella

edited

Tansey Ella

edited

Jewel

Breezes said:
the cosmic tribe( i really like that
If you ever want to talk about this deck let me know. This is one of my two primary decks, and has been for years. People either love it or hate it for the most part. It is Thoth based, so the minors are semi-illustrated (what I call moody minors), not fully illustrated like the RWS.

rachelcat

Breezes:

I'm also on the hunt for a "modern life" deck (in a collector way!). I have noticed the Pagan in that respect. Take a look at the Bright Idea Deck and the Gay. They both also have a "contemporary" feel. But I think there's still room for an "everyday life in the beginning of the 21st century" deck!

I am also a Cosmic Tribe lover! Compare it side by side with the Thoth for the full effect. You'll fall for it, I promise!

Flavio

Breezes said:
i am looking for decks where the scenes are familar enough to me, so that I truly understand what is happening between the people or to the person. does not matter how pretty it is, if i don't understand it, can't read with it.
You might want to take a look at the Voyager Tarot, each card is a photo collage mixing modern, ancient and fantasy elements, to me the cards seem to have a lot of layers to explore, hopefully you find it interesting.

Added: it is also sold as an oracle for the 21st century...