Karma Tarot

Lillie

I have been thinking aboutthis deck recently.
I know it was created by someone after they had been in Christiania.
And that there are real people on some of the cards.

What I want to know is....
Does the LWB go into any detail about these associations, or is there a companion book that does?

northsea

Yes, the LWB has details regarding these people. Leif Joensen, a local artist and musician, posed for the Juggler. The Wise Woman (High Priestess) is a composite of many women whom Erfurt has known. The Grand Master (Hierophant) is Jasper Zeuthen, a saxophonist who was playing at Christiania the night Erfurt started on the Karma tarot. The Hermit is modeled after William Spence, an astrologer, who was one of the older people living there, in his mid-30s at the time. Erfurt later married Tomrerclaus who is shown crouched on the left side of the Wheel of Fortune. ... and so on.

Lillie

Brilliant.
Thanks.

Husband has been eyeing my decks and talking about wanting one of his own.

I thought he might like this one.
He would certainly have liked Christiania!

But it would be a shame if all the interesting history of the deck wasn't with it.

But, as it is, he might be getting it for Christmas!

northsea

Lillie, your husband will probably like it if he likes surreal art. :grin: I think it's good they included those details in the LWB too. Just to add, the Strength is supposed to be a self-portrait of Erfurt. Also, does anyone know if Christiania closed-up completely, or was it converted into a bed-and-breakfast or weekend retreat?

Lillie

I don't know.

It's sad, isn't it?
I heard that Denmark wanted it to develop, but I don't know wether it has happened or not.

Nina*

northsea said:
Also, does anyone know if Christiania closed-up completely, or was it converted into a bed-and-breakfast or weekend retreat?
No, it's definitely not a bed-and-breakfast retreat (only some months ago a young guy got killed there) and it's not closed-up, yet... but I think it won't be long before it will be.

But the deck is very nice and special, Lillie.. and she does explain about the individual cards in the LWB. :)

northsea

Ninamagic said:
No, it's definitely not a bed-and-breakfast retreat (only some months ago a young guy got killed there) and it's not closed-up, yet... but I think it won't be long before it will be.

Was it converted into a youth hostel? :bugeyed:

Nina*

northsea said:
Was it converted into a youth hostel? :bugeyed:
No :) it was/is what it has been always - a not quite 'normal' place where people live. But also (as always) a place where drugs is sold and taken.... which is why he was killed (some kind of encounter).

Rosanne

Hi Lillie- Christiania is a compound of 17th century Military buildings in the centre of Copenhagen. It covers about two acres I believe. It became for the want of a better word 'A hippie complex' in the late 60's. The buildings were higher than one story and they became occupied by craft people, and alternative anti establishment groups. You could go there and get organic food, drugs and all the things considered hippie. It has over the years become a tourist attraction of sorts, and is still a community; although more of a squatter type place now. There has always been talk of removing the 'undesirables' and maybe that will happen someday.~Rosanne

Lillie

Cheers.

It's a shame when something good turns into a tourist attraction.

Glastonbury has done that, big time.
Ban the real travellers and charge £100's for students to have a little safe hash holiday while they listen to some music and all the nasty 'real' people are either kept out, or priced out.

Sad.
But that's life, eh!