Astrology Study Group- Part 2

214red

Thanks Dadsnook, you have brought up some issues and i now have a few ideas to combat this issue.

i agree that it needs to be more of a conversation, so i might try listing venus in a house each day, with a summary of what it should mean for feedback,Interaction is needed to stimulate learning, if not its simply just regurgitating the book.

I think I was being ambitions by trying to do two planets each week, so I will keep it to one planet a week going forward. With each day being a discussion on another planet in another house.

Taking your feedback on board I feel like I have a direction that would be good to follow, will rejig the timings and update this thread.

Minderwiz

I learned my Astrology in the same, planets, signs, houses way though now I'm no longer convinced it's the most productive as we end up with a load of key words and a computer program approach of writing lots of paragraphs for every combination of planet, sign and house. I'm not sure it really ends up with understanding. It's one of the reasons I moved away from modern approaches to Astrology and went back to the 'real' basics.

I agree with Dave that what is necessary is to get participants to think and understand how how to apply a method to a chart with clear objectives in mind. There are many valid approaches, and I'm not pushing mine here, but the important thing is to have such a method.

In the 'good old days' the Astrological student worked with a master and learned from the bottom up, starting with the simplest form of Astrology, the Horary Chart. No need to do anything but form a general assessment of the chart and then concentrate on the relevant portions, ignoring the rest. There's still a need to know about planets, signs and houses but instead of trying to deal with the multiple meanings of, say Venus, the horary emphasises one meaning. Through many horaries the variety of meanings are acquired. The next move up was to event chats and then election charts. These days the only Astrology that most people are aware of is 'natal' Astrology and that is quite a challenge for a beginner.

That's a long winded lead up to a suggestion that perhaps we consider a 'method' thread as part of the Study Group, with yourself, Dave and me doing a short account of how we go about getting the first impressions from a chart and how we begin to apply the method to the chart. Then it might be worth trying a chart which everyone can study but onlyconcentrating on a limited section or characteristic. It might even be that several specific charts could be used in sequence either focussing on the same house and looking for difference and simlarities or to look at different features.

I'm not sure that this will work but as Dave says the only way that they will learn is to actually practice and discuss and it's easier to get a discussion on, say 'What does Mercury mean in this chart' than what does 'Mercury mean in your chart.'

It's a more formal way and I'm not convinced it will work by any means but it might produce more discussion than at the moment.

214red

thanks Minderwiz, as i said to Dadsnook i want to have a rethink, taking what you both have said, and come up with a new format.

food for thought as they say:)

214red

Update

this is on hold until w/c 21 december as i need to reformat the way i do the posts as it wasnt getting the feedback needed to learn, i am off work that week so i will relaunch it then, sorry for the delay

Ashtaroot

no worries take your time it is all good
I will be out of town until first week in Jan and I am sure everyone is busy with Holidays :)

flameofjoy

I agree with Minderwiz. I follow Lilly and the ancients on the traditional path, having done my share of teeth gnashing and rending of garments over "modern" astrology. I'm no authority, just a student of this great Art, and I'm always eager to learn more.

I'll be off line from the Solstice until the first week in January. Waiting until all the fuss of the holidays is behind us sounds like a good idea, but if you start sooner, no worries, I'll just jump in when I can.

-fj

214red

perhaps i might post something before xmas that allows us to discuss astrology and warm up, might help me understand everyones level.

any ideas?

flameofjoy

Well, yes, I'd be game for that. Not sure what you have in mind exaclty, but do you mean something general? Certainly it would be good, for you at least as discussion leader, to have an idea of everyone's level and to some extent the path they have traveled with astrology, their frame of reference or approach to it, their particular focus or interest. My main focus has been on horary, and I am quite interested in mundane astrology, but with that I mostly read the writings of mundane astrologers, as I am not proficient with the techniques myself. I understand what they are saying and can follow their logic and I learn from that, but I'm not set up right now to do justice to mundane.

As for natal, I have done a few traditional readings of natal charts for people I know well (mostly family), but that was some time ago, and I have not pursued that, although lately I have felt a growing urge to study this more formally or certainly in a more organized way.

Don't know if any of that is what you were thinking of. I'm just rambling, I guess.

-fj

214red

thanks Fj, will take it on board...

might try and compile a fin quiz